• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on a 'garden find'

dlacey

• 2 months later...

A quick update: the body is back, in fresh Polaris. I didn't paint the area under the rear seats to maintain the burn marks from the diff fire for posterity...

I have started assembly of the fibreglass parts and some of the trim, I have a plan for air conditioning without any permanent body modification, LHD pedal box and brake master assemblies are in (first experience for me of LHD-specific bits).

IMG_20190603_155335-1587x1190.thumb.jpg.068e06e7572e1186d2b6a8f5a38c75b7.jpg

• Like 8

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

On 6/17/2019 at 10:36 PM, louissingapore said:

Couid this be the same car? (Starting grid at Pasir Gudang)

64327329_10156375567896915_1275408208042655744_n.jpg.a3abbb8a1a9f45ca1e3f0cf421e466ab.jpg

I’m not certain that’s a turbo (based on front spoiler, lack of stripes).  I’m not even convinced it’s a square taillight car (based on grilles). But it does have turbo-style flares, so there’s some possibility it could be an altered turbo....

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I think that's a ti from '71-'72 period, from what I can find out a few twin sidedraught ti were campaigned regionally in Thailand, Philippines and Macau as well as participating the main Malaysian races. 

Apart from its appearance at Batu Tiga in July '75 I have not yet found any other evidence of this car racing in the region. I am actively engaging the regional racing forums to search for other evidence and pics...so far no luck..

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

So I need to fit air conditioning, it's a basic human right out here...but the AC compressor can't go low on the right side of the engine as you would normally put it on a tii or carb car..because there's a turbo in the way.

So, the only available location is on the left, high up next to the injection pump. To install here the battery must be moved to the trunk (a common mod) and the AC compressor needs to be shallow to clear the brake master cylinder. plus the belt run needs to be convoluted to ensure enough traction on the pulleys of AC and Alt.

Here's my solution with a serpentine belt run using a ford idler:

IMG_20190623_173342-950x917.thumb.jpg.61e8de59dae3879fd2ca636000b04abe.jpg

IMG_20190623_173410-950x1547.thumb.jpg.8dc2d9f22e3cb9b8f8948090a1244600.jpg

I used a modern 80Amp alternator to ensure enough power for fans, the AC pump is small, but I have found its best to have a small pump working hard rather than a large pump idling..the large pump drags the revs down at idle too much and the full capacity is rarely needed. The small pump doesn't load the engine at idle and cools a small 02 perfectly well (I have this pump on my tii, mounted low right).

The bracket mounts on the alternator boss plus the stub that BMW left on the back of the injection timing chest. The bracket is 8mm steel plate, rigid enough to support this small compressor...

Hopefully this is a practical solution to AC on a turbo...it will be a while until I can test it, but now engine is ready to go back in...

• Like 1

Very nice! You're probably aware (IMO) you should stuff the largest parallel flow condenser you can fit behind the grilles. There are a number of blower/evaporator options. I suggest fitting the strongest blower you can find. Rob Siegel's A/C book may be helpful,  and all the info on the FAQ.

...I'm about to tint my windows with UV-blocking, relatively clear/light tint ceramic film, hopefully. That should help also.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

9 hours ago, ray_ said:

Very nice! You're probably aware (IMO) you should stuff the largest parallel flow condenser you can fit behind the grilles. There are a

I squeezed a 21*12 inch condensor up front thanks to the extra width of the turbo rad aperture, and also a single 12inch 80W hi Efficiency fan.

I should buy one of the 'tropical' rad fans that BMW offered...that extra 20mm on the blades must be worth 10 degrees...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, louissingapore said:

I always wonder why the fan blades are not spaced out equally. 

It's to prevent resonance effects at certain engine speeds, you see designs like this on variable speed fans.

• Like 3

All, 

I just stumbled across an article written in March 2016 at the new M2 launch which supports my earlier exploration of the cars history:

"It has been 40 odd years since we saw the BMW 2002 Turbo made its arrival on Malaysian shores — I personally saw two of them running in the 1975 Batu Tiga Endurance race then. I did not have a race car, so I ended up as a race official, and I remember that it was a wet race. Eric N. Ooi, one of the top local drivers of that era, was one of the drivers of one of the two cars, (each car was driven by a team of two drivers).

Unfortunately, the rear axles got too hot, and as long as they were running on the track, it seemed all right, but when they came in to pit for refuel and driver change, the heat build-up was just too much. Thus, even though the cars were super fast, and ate everything in sight up, the two cars did not finish the race. However, the potential was already there."

https://www.malaymail.com/news/drive/2016/03/03/bmw-m2-coupe-brings-back-the-glory-days-of-the-2002-turbo/1071979

He says two cars raced...thats something i need to explore further...

• Like 2

On 6/23/2019 at 8:29 PM, dlacey said:

I squeezed a 21*12 inch condensor up front thanks to the extra width of the turbo rad aperture, and also a single 12inch 80W hi Efficiency fan.

I should buy one of the 'tropical' rad fans that BMW offered...that extra 20mm on the blades must be worth 10 degrees...

To be more clear, I was suggesting finding an upgraded blower for the evaporator in the console :)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.