• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Running a VIN number.

2002 VINs have only 7 digits, and there is no configuration code hidden in them aside from being able to tell what model the vehicle is. You can email BMW with a VIN (search for the email address in some of Conserv's posts, he must have it memorized by now), and they'll give you the original build date, destination, and paint color. That's all the records that are left of these cars. Carfax will not accept the 7 digit VIN.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

2002 VINs have only 7 digits, and there is no configuration code hidden in them aside from being able to tell what model the vehicle is. You can email BMW with a VIN (search for the email address in some of Conserv's posts, he must have it memorized by now), and they'll give you the original build date, destination, and paint color. That's all the records that are left of these cars. Carfax will not accept the 7 digit VIN.

Thank you for your response. Is it possible to see if the VIN matches the numbers on the motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The VIN and the engine number should be the same. 

If if you are new to 02's I really recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-02-Restoration-Guide-guides/dp/1855204517

it has details of numbers of cars manufactured for each model, VIN groups and plenty of other good stuff. Buy it, read it 3 times and then think about buying an 02. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

3 hours ago, JerryC said:

Yep, email the VIN to BMW Archives ( info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) and request their data on the car.  In the meantime, use the VIN decoder maintained by the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia to get a more general (although accurate) response:

https://www.bmwclasicos.com/servicios.php#Como

You're only going to get the most basic original information, not the car's history through the ages!  Which is why that PPI is so critical.

Ignore the wise counsel you've been given above -- and in your other current threads -- at your own peril!  A 40-to-50 year old car is a can of worms!  But worth opening if you know what you're buying!

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

02 VINS 101...

If it's a US spec roundie:  

• 166/167xxxx are 68 through about March '71 "early" 2002s--no knee moulding on the sides, "silver dollar" instruments etc
  • 257-259xxxx are "modell 71" cars--knee moulding, black face instruments etc.  later 72s have 4 lever heaters (vs 3) and 73's have the unique, pointy front bumper guards and rear bumpers spaced away from the body.  259xxxx cars are all '73s, as are the higher 258xxxx numbers. 
  • 276xxxx are roundie tii's

If you're looking at a squarelight, advise and I can give you a breakdown for them.  74-76 cars use unique beginning 3 digit numbers for each year so are easier to tell apart.  

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

02 VINS 101...

If it's a US spec roundie:  
  • 166/167xxxx are 68 through about March '71 "early" 2002s--no knee moulding on the sides, "silver dollar" instruments etc
  • 257-259xxxx are "modell 71" cars--knee moulding, black face instruments etc.  later 72s have 4 lever heaters (vs 3) and 73's have the unique, pointy front bumper guards and rear bumpers spaced away from the body.  259xxxx cars are all '73s, as are the higher 258xxxx numbers. 
  • 276xxxx are roundie tii's
If you're looking at a squarelight, advise and I can give you a breakdown for them.  74-76 cars use unique beginning 3 digit numbers for each year so are easier to tell apart.  

mike

Thank you, Mike. I will look into it as soon as I get the VIN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk