• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RoyW's custom S14 2002 on BaT

Great mechanicals. Aesthetics not to my taste, akin to some of the other comments here. But that's a personal thing.  Met Roy a few times, seems like a great BMW fan with some solid cars. 

70 M2 2.5L 

3 hours ago, evil02 said:

Does anyone know what rocker panels are on it?

According to Roy, they're custom.  Are you surprised?!  Perhaps VSR could give you some info on them.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

17 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

According to Roy, they're custom.  Are you surprised?!  Perhaps VSR could give you some info on them.

Hmm, thanks. I will email them

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

with this going for $125k, imagine what paul cain's car would go for today.  it is miles better than this one.

$125k has got to be a lot more than the build cost.  i have done the math a few times using what i thought were high end estimates for a shop to do and i can't get anywhere near even 6 digits.  even with all the little detail work.  i thought i recalled conversations when this car was first finished that put the build in the 60's.  

it appears restomods are smoking the "numbers matching, every bolt is factory, correct subframe paint color, right stickers in bay" crowd......:P

2xM3

Looks interesting, I see the relay holder on the drivers side inner fender. I thought that these only came on the 74-76 cars but this has the older style grills.  Gotta go back and see if it has the snorkel. But I guess all this doesn't matter, the way the whole car is built. I can appreciate ll the work that went into it but $125 K  Us   ( Canadian bucks that is $172 K   I can buy a lotta car for that kinda cash )     I build these cars on a regular basis and would have a hard time getting to that price on costs for what was done.    I think that it all comes down to it was what one buyer wanted.  I also have a 69 Alfa Spider and last year, one of those went for 125K and it was no screaming hell. It always comes down to one guy wanting something like this.

Power to both of them   enjoy it and drive the stink out of it.

Thanks, Rick

Good God, everyone's a freaking automotive appraisal expert!

The hammer price was a function of what multiple buyers BID for the car in an auction format (their economic activity constituted THE MARKET at that particular point in time) and not a function of what a seller "asked" that anyone pay as a function of his build expense. 

While I agree that this was a very lofty sale price, I just don't get the people (and they're never "players" by the way) who can't restrain themselves from blurtingly announcing their expert's opinion that "it wasn't worth it." 

Well apparently it was...

And by the way, the engine alone is a $30K item. If you don't think it would cost $100K + to build this bare-shelled, rotisseried, seam-welded, transmission tunnel-modified, custom exhaust-endowed work of art, then I would respectfully conclude that you need a new mental calculator.

COOP

Good God, everyone's a freaking automotive appraisal expert!

The hammer price was a function of what multiple buyers BID for the car in an auction format (their economic activity constituted THE MARKET at that particular point in time) and not a function of what a seller "asked" that anyone pay as a function of his build expense. 

While I agree that this was a very lofty sale price, I just don't get the people (and they're never "players" by the way) who can't restrain themselves from blurtingly announcing their expert's opinion that "it wasn't worth it." 

Well apparently it was...

And by the way, the engine alone is a $30K item. If you don't think it would cost $100K + to build this bare-shelled, rotisseried, seam-welded, transmission tunnel-modified, custom exhaust-endowed work of art, then I would respectfully conclude that you need a new mental calculator.

COOP

Wow never knew "THE MARKET" was the result of one auction but I'll take your word for it.

My build is better than this one anyway so in a sense, I guess I should be happy because the market has spoken and I'm in profit.

Cheers.

"The MARKET at that particular point in time."  Not "THE MARKET."

Your car sounds awesome, I'd love to see it one day.

I have a pretty nice M2 2.5 as well...no idea what it's worth relative to the Inka car (similar in some ways, totally different in others), but I'd guess that it would depend on "The MARKET at that particular point in time."

I'd also guess that it's sale price would generate myriad and sundry opinions about what it was really worth above (and below) the actual outcome.  No intention on finding out though.

COOP