• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 stroker options

I blew recently blew the head gasket in my 1600 and I've been looking into boring it out for awhile now and I finally have a reason to rebuild it and get some more power out of it, I wanted to make it a 2.2l but I'm not quite sure about how to do it on the cheaper side and make it still daily drivable, I've got dual 40s on it, just rebuild the head and all the bolt on go fast bits I can get my hands on so I want to make the bottom end just as new.

Edited by martinmcassidy

Lots of old threads on this site about it, but the days of a cheap stroker have gone the way of s14 prices. s14 crank, 144mm rods, 304 cam or bigger, custom pistons and either cross your fingers with a 92mm bore or get it sonically tested to ensure you have enough cylinder wall thickness and you'll end up with 2.23 litres and a desire for 45mm webers and the appropriate inlet manifold, and then you think about how the exhaust and manifold is restricting all these goodies and suddenly it's turned into quite a pricey build. 

Your 1600 head will be useless too - ports and valves are too small. 

They're great engines though!

Nick

ps head gaskets are cheap :-)

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

What is the sweet spot with the M10 without S14 parts? Top End Offers a dual 45 side draft, big cam engine, not sure of the compresion with XDI ignition.  What about a combo using the 2 liter crank, 90 mm bore  318 injection , megasquirt, higher compression 10.0-1 and a 304 cam. Whould that be a street able engine.

I've also heard about someone who ran a reground crank with vw rabbit pistons and rods, would that be streetable? And i can deal with the price of most of this stuff, it's just the s14 goodies that scare me

Edited by martinmcassidy

Talk to Le Tran at 2002 GarageWerks about stroker M10s

http://www.2002gw.com/

2002GarageWerks Inc.
607 W Holt Blvd
Ontario, California 91762

Mon - Fri: 10AM - 6PM

US: 1-626-497-2002

Ed

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, martinmcassidy said:

I've also heard about someone who ran a reground crank with vw rabbit pistons and rods, would that be streetable? And i can deal with the price of most of this stuff, it's just the s14 goodies that scare me

I believe that's how Metric Mechanic builds their 2.2L M10's. Not cheap.

A well-designed 2.0L M10 build with added compression, light/lightened internals and a camshaft which fits your carbs/smile desire is the formula I prefer. (stroking is neat, but not necessary .... says the guy who built a stroked and poked 2.2 liter engine for a VW Bus years ago). -KB

13 hours ago, martinmcassidy said:

I recently blew the head gasket in my 1600 and I've been looking into doing a M20 swap for awhile now and I finally have a reason to and get some more power, I wanted to make it a 2.2l but I'm not quite sure about how to do it on the cheaper side so I'm going with a M20 and make it still daily drivable, I've got dual 40s, a just rebuild head and all the bolt on go fast bits I can sell to pay for the swap. 

Fixed

Edited by Fatherof3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, martinmcassidy said:

Just raised my budget a grand by selling a parts car so maybe I can handle the price of s14 parts I saw that someone sold pistons rods and a crank for a s14 stroker for a grand a few years ago, is that still a price is be able to find?

a good crank alone has gone north of a grand over here and I think s14 prices are pretty much the same wherever you are. 

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

There's this stroker M20 sitting out in the shed, you see...

2.7 liters, stock, screaming for 3 40's and a limited slip...

All in, i think it cost as much as one bolt for an S14... and it was paid for in beer.

heh

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The stroker option isn't really worth it unless you have a crank laying around (like I do, muhahaha). Even then, it requires more machine work and at a bore of 90mm (staying very safe) you have a 2.138L motor. W/ a 91mm bore you get a 2.185L. Yes, the extra displacement and stroke will help you out in the power department, but you will not have a 2.3L. Very common misconception. 

Additionally, if you go through all the effort of making an S14 crank work in an m10 block, I think you'd be crazy not to go for larger rods. 144mm rods seem to be the most common upgrade. Those will set you back $600-700. I've heard some people use Honda H22 143mm rods. Might be worth some research if you want to save a few $$$. Either way you'll be getting custom pistons. At the very least, you're looking at $700 there. 

As far as setup (if you want a street motor and a larger stroke) I'd personally go with:

10:1 -10.5:1 CR pistons

144mm S14 rods

Schrick 292

E12 head

Dual 40s or 45s (I'll run a 38/38, but I'm sure everyone will disagree) 

Just my .02 cents. Which, with inflation, is worth less and less everyday 

2 hours ago, zinz said:

Talk to Le Tran at 2002 GarageWerks about stroker M10s

Just talked to Le yesterday. He believes using an M10 with an S14 crank is a waste of time. He uses S14 blocks,  but keep in mind, it is Le. The guy doesn't half ass anything.