• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Manila car turns 46 today

zinz

The Manila '71 turns 46 today.... I wish I could say it was a one-owner, all-original, survivor car, but it's not.  Found as an abandoned project in Wichita about 10 years ago, rebuilt as a family, father/son project, then sold to me and I continued the transformation with sidedraft Solexes, 5 speed, ST bars and Billy sports among other things... It's such a solid car.  

58ef89097521b_warehousepics.thumb.jpg.c480369e4ee3e34f7123c2520255e61a.jpg58ef89078ead1_Tobaccointerior.jpg.a33095d25415c6cb4e5211dc532367a5.jpg

58ef8904b6826_BBQpic.jpg.c150a16eecb21b01a3d57567217df975.jpg 58ef890405a17_68071BW.jpg.e6dc587bdaac8dd10305389abacdafd1.jpg

58ef890354383_71nearBurnetTX.thumb.jpg.cf5cfdf77eadb2519e4960cd7c14723d.jpg

Mom loved riding in that car....

Ed Z

Punkin and the 71.jpg

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

6 minutes ago, Big_Lebowski said:

Pic with your mom is absolutely priceless!

That was the day I brought it home, she was so excited.  ^_^

1 minute ago, barney t said:

those are great pictures Ed...how old are you?

I was not as old when that pic was taken... fewer grey hairs and a lot less weight, too :ph34r:

I've swapped the lights a around as I find different ones. I'll probably swap them again soon, just because. 

The CS is running great. I'm gathering parts and will tear it down soon. Some major items won't arrive from Germany until Fall, so I'm trying to plan around that. Full paint and interior is the prder of the day. 

Ed

10 hours ago, ray_ said:

I wouldn't buy that.

I'll quickly explain this comment by the good gentleman from Alabama...

Ray endured a constant and daily barrage of emails from me for maybe a year... Craigslistings and postings of cars for sale all over the US... "What about this one?  How hard is it to fix this one? How bad is this rust?"  ...ad nauseum.  Looking back, I can rightly testify to the extreme level of patience Ray extended to me for pestering him sooooo much while I searched for a good car. His quote above was how many of his later replies went... short and sweet. I am deeply indebted to Ray for helping me find such a great car. 

I found the Manila car on eBay.  It didn't make the reserve and the PO and I negotiated a deal afterwards.  Seeing what BAT auctions are driving prices to these days, I'm thankful I was able to get mine when I did.  Afterwards, Ray wrote me and said, "you have bought well" 

Thanks, Ray

Ed

And he hasn't asked me about a car purchase since!

:D

It is a nice car, and I'm glad Ed is enjoying it.

Ok, I'm done fishing for compliments! :D

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.