• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mr. AlpinA is coming home (I mean it this time)

markmac

Thanks for the comments.

Daniel, you are spot on with Roger Hamlin, does incredible work, reasonably priced and honest.  A rare combo (in any business).  He has done a lot of work on the car over the years.....of course with still more to do. 

At this point really I just need to schedule a transporter to bring it back.  Today would have been sketchy as hell given how windy it is (sketchy for me driving any way).

In direct sunlight a lot of pop.  We painted it Alpine white (weren't really sure if it was Chamonix or Alpine).  Chamonix seemed to be too creamy.  The Alpine white is ---- bright.  We used the correct pantone colors for the yellow and red stripe on the spoiler and then used the same red for the stripes.  Its an interesting color - almost like some of the old "day glow" colors I remember from the '70's & '80's.  I like it and it works with the white.

Some shots from today

alpina 3-31-2017 017.JPG

alpina 3-31-2017 016.JPG

alpina 3-31-2017 004.JPG

alpina 3-31-2017 009.JPG

alpina 3-31-2017 011.JPG

alpina 3-31-2017 019.JPG

That was very nice of him.  You clearly have more pull than I do.  I asked for some pics for about a month and then got the four he sent me on Thursday (Finally).  It does look very good I think. Time to bring it back, then I can attend to a few minor details and then start the re-assembly process.

2 hours ago, markmac said:

That was very nice of him.  You clearly have more pull than I do.  I asked for some pics for about a month and then got the four he sent me on Thursday (Finally).  It does look very good I think. Time to bring it back, then I can attend to a few minor details and then start the re-assembly process.

It was a random pic he sent -- last pic he sent was of my e21 323i 5-speed c/r tranny in pieces, which it still is months later.  Now, in his defense, he knows I'm in no rush (the car is in pieces, too) so it's not a problem.  He's fast around the track but not necessarily with his hand-crafted work.  That's fine.  The work is worth the wait to my experience.  I hope it is your experience too....

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

It is.  I didn't have a snow ball chance in hell of getting my car ready for Monterey last year....even if he had finished in eight weeks, which was the initial time estimate.  I would have had to write some really big checks to other shops to get it done, then at that point you are paying someone else to do your hobby - there is no fun in that (from my perspective).  I am really pleased with the outcome and looking forward to getting it back in another week or two.

4 hours ago, markmac said:

It is.  I didn't have a snow ball chance in hell of getting my car ready for Monterey last year....even if he had finished in eight weeks, which was the initial time estimate.

My goal -- which may be unrealistic -- is to drive the C1 down to Monterey.  Maybe we'll both get to debut the cars together?

Edited by inkatouring

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

It won't be this year unfortunately.  I am in the exact same spot I was last year (only now the car is done/painted).  There is a lot of work to do, some easy stuff and other not so much (like the fuel tank/cell, wiring/wiring harness and....).  If I were going to race it, I would need to be testing it now.  I saw how that worked out for a few of my friends last year - getting their cars put together at the very last minuted - it didn't work out so well.  I think a good amount will be done this year still (late 2017), so 2018 is the current plan.  50th anniversary of the 2oo2 and all, why not?

In the sunlight it looks even better Mark.

Josh, good to see you are still in BMWs, would love to see your e21.  

Stu rebuilt the blue Tii's engine and 50k miles and 15 years later it is still running great!  Was worth the wait (and the drive to Sac).

Cheers,

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Well, today is the day.  Having the car picked up around noon today and delivered back to me this afternoon.  Of course the weather would turn to sh&t the day I need to bring it back.  It will be in a covered hauler, and it looks like the 30-40 mph winds we had yesterday/last night are gone (or I might have postponed).  It will have been exactly 13 months to the day tomorrow - long time.  Looking forward.....

11 minutes ago, markmac said:

...It will have been exactly 13 months to the day tomorrow - long time.  Looking forward.....

Well worth the wait, Mark!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)