• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reman Tii Alternator Recommendation or Pass?

4 hours ago, Simeon said:

Are you specifically looking for an upgrade?

Someone local should be able to rebuild what you have, also try Bosch genuine remanufactured. 

Not really looking for an upgrade. I'm building my spare tii engine and thought I had the correct alternator.  One that I had rebuilt 2 years ago and put in storage.  I delivered it to my auto-electric guy in a plastic bag.  He called me back to ask if I wanted it "clocked" the same as my last rebuild.  I said sure.

2 years later I unpack the alternator to find that dumb old me had a stock alternator rebuilt and clocked to fit in the tii location.  So now I have an alternator that not only is insufficient for the tii motor but clocked incorrectly for a stock 02.

EngineWIP17.thumb.jpg.54522248294bfbd25894118ec67f10af.jpg

So...I need an alternator.  Just not crazy about paying big bucks for a Bosch reman.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Hmm. Well I bet your rebuild guy extracted a few more amps from that alternator. Maybe you can ask?

My rebuild by a local shop here is pushing north of 90A. Weren't cheap, though. 

I don't think tii's require any more juice than a stock '02.

Edit: Realoem indicates 45A for a tii alt...

Good luck,

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

2 hours ago, ray_ said:

Hmm. Well I bet your rebuild guy extracted a few more amps from that alternator. Maybe you can ask?

My rebuild by a local shop here is pushing north of 90A. Weren't cheap, though. 

I don't think tii's require any more juice than a stock '02.

Good luck,

Well that's good news!  I will call the shop and ask.  Meanwhile I could create a shim for the alternator to fit the tii bracket.

Thanks for that.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

On 3/28/2017 at 1:30 AM, ray_ said:

Only the early 2002s had 35 amp alternators--not sure when they switched to 45 amp, but my '73 has a 45 amp alt, while my 69 is only 35.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

48 minutes ago, OriginalOwner said:

here's the one you REALLY want ...... at a reasonable price from a place here in SoCal !!

I sent them an email asking if they'd drop the price for a customer in Canada.  I'm curious to see if I get an answer.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

1 hour ago, OriginalOwner said:

Paul,

here's the one you REALLY want ...... at a reasonable price from a place here in SoCal !!  Move quick, it won't last long ......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSCH-AL40X-Alternator-fits-1969-1974-BMW-2002tii-2800-12-31-1-354-152-/271980770759

Cheers,

Carl

Hmm.

I'd want one which lasts long.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

40 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I'd want one which lasts long.

Funny.

BTW, I called my auto-electric guy. They are out of business!  I'm shocked.  The company had been around for 40+ years and all of a sudden they're gone.  Sad.  I did look at the label on the rebuild alternator and it says 35A, so I'm back in the hunt for a reliable rebuilt tii alternator.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958