• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000tilux interloper

Naz

Hello 2002 owners,

I thought I'd throw a pic out of my recently rebuilt 121ti head for my 2000tilux. I haven't talked to the machine shop yet but it mustn't be to concerning if they let it go out looking like this. I'm guessing the cause of this scarring is from sort of backfiring or overheating??

7a4e0bd41435a39013f085d555431577.jpgb1407e1dce1fab3e508b84058c2f7884.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was it like when you delivered it to them?

I am not sure I would be that happy with it but they obviously thought it was better than junking the head.  

What did they say? Have you spoken to them about it?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Is it a crack with an old repair?  At the top right of your close-up photo, it appears to have some crevices still.  Assuming the head is sound overall, I, personally, wouldn't bolt that head back onto a freshly-rebuilt engine without further repairs to this area.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Those sharp edges in the combustion chamber will be hot spots, and will tend to incite pre-ignition of the air-fuel mixture. I'm with Steve--I would get that chamber cleaned up before using it. 

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

+1  ...looks like an old repair, poorly executed

also.. you might change the title of your thread to get better response.  I came looking for pics of a TiLux :)

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Thanks for the input. I'm looking further into it. Machine shop did pressure test it and it passed. Never the less, I'm taking it back for them to look closer at it.

That intake valve looks a bit sketchy also.  what appears to be small chip from the edge, that could lead to a burnt valve.   I think it's dropped that valve seat some time in the past and someone repaired it, not very well i'd add.  Those crevices and other iregularities should be addressed. 

Gale

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

The head surface around the combustion chamber in question looks porous from corrosion--possible former blown head gasket or something worse happened in or around that combustion chamber.  I agree with Gale--dropped valve seat with a less-than-satisfactory repair.

I agree with the others--it looks kinda sketchy and needs some further smoothing.  But make sure the machine shop cc's all four combustion chambers so they will end up with the same displacement or you're gonna have uneven compression and thus uneven running.

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Factory thickness on the head is 5.0850-5.0900 min is 5.0630
Mine measured at 5.0610
Does that mean I need an oversize head gasket?

Machine shop is confident that I won't have an issue and pressure tested it a 50psi? If that makes sense?

Feeling a little frustrated after spending $500 on machine work to a head that I'm feeling to happy about. No fault of anyone really just bad luck I guess. Anyone have a 121ti head out there for a reasonable price?