• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with E30M10 Distributor connection into my 02

bmwe34m5guy

You will need an ignition module to go with the plug in the side. There were two styles and two different distributors. If you can get the harness from the car that the engine came from, you will be ahead of the game. An ignition module from the same vehicle would be outstanding. From there you will have to wire the ignition module to power/ground/etc. 

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

this might help you on your way...it has both types of modules on it. If you have access to an E30 Bentley manual it will have a lot of info on this particular ignition system in it.

I might have some of the connectors for the ignition module and distributor if you need them. I will have to dig through my stash and see. Not sure what type (Bosch or Siemens) of module they are for. Let me know if you are interested in me looking for them.

EDIT. I do have the Bosch type and part of the Siemens type of connectors.

tci ignition.jpg

Edited by Mike87

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

Rather than messing with this distributor, couldn't you swap it out for a nice used M10 distributor?  I'm sure you could find one cheap with all the members swapping them out for 123 ignition units.  Or better yet, buy a programmable 123 Ignition distributor for your application.  I am assuming that the E30 distributor spins clockwise like the 2002 distributor and not counter-clockwise like some models of the E21, otherwise, you would need to swap the drive gear.  It just seems less complicated than trying to source a used module for the E30 distributor and trying to figure out how to adapt it to the 2002 wiring harness.

IMHO,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

BE CAREFUL your engine has a different drive gear on the camshaft than a "2002" M10 engine.  In 1980 BMW started turning the distributors in the M10 engines the other way.  You can not swap a pre 1980 distributor into a 1980 and later M10 (or the other way around)  even if you were to change the gear on the distributor so it turns the correct way the advance mechanism would work backwards. 

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

His distributer came with the e30 M10 he has fitted. Years and years ago I looked in on this. The module above is what you need. I also think you can get a MSD6 to fire the coil.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Thanks everyone for the help. Mike87 if you don't mind, the only thing I could not find is the actual harness that plugs into the distributor. I was going to make individual connectors but if someone has this cable/connector/harness. Also if you know which side is positive and negative or A+/B- because I'm using the smaller Transistor Ignition Control unit with the 7pin plug? for the power supply No. 4 Terminal 15; will that go direct to battery or ignition switch?

IMG_6171.JPG

IMG_6170.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's for all the help, I finally had time yesterday to work on the harness. I have the power supply connected to the existing wire that went originally on the distributor condenser but no spark. The only thing I'm not sure of is the shielding cable, where does this go? is it a ground wire? 

If you hook power directly to that distributor you are going to burn up the transmitter coil inside.  You CAN NOT use that distributor without the wiring harness and ignition module from the E21 or E30. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Sorry, I didn't explain correctly: I am using the ignition control module in the diagram that Mike posted and the harness that he graciously supplied me with. Looking at the diagram, I have pin 1 to coil, pin2 (31) to ground, pin3 is the shielding that I'm uncertain of, pin4 is the power supply which I ran to the existing wire that was already there from my original E10M10 setup distributor wire that would normally connect to the condenser on the distributor. Is this correct? I have no spark. I will try connecting the shielding insulated exterior wire to ground and see if I have spark?