• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bring a Trailer 2002

theluketaylor

First time poster, but I've been lurking for a while and this is a great community.

I'm considering diving into the classic car world and the 2002 is one of the cars I keep circling back to.  If I did take the plunge I'd be looking for a car that would be my daily during the warm months.  I don't do a ton of driving since I work from home, so any car I purchased would see the usage more like a weekend fun car.  I'm happy to change oil, bleed brakes, and complete other simple driveway tasks, but if it involves welding it's going to be beyond my skills and available garage space (tiny).  Should I keep the 2002 on the list?  Or set my sights at newer classics that won't have quite as many age related ailments?

I noticed bring a trailer has an m20 swapped 2002 up for sale today.  I'm curious what the community's thoughts are on the state of this car.  I'm mostly gathering knowledge about evaluating 2002s as opposed to considering buying this specific car.  To my eye it looks like a decent example, though some of the final pictures look like the fresh paint is covering some body issues.  The community's expert opinion would be greatly appreciated.

My recommendation is for your first 2002 it should not be a Frankenstein.  A stock 2002 is a very easy car to work on yourself and would be a great daily driver.  Buying someone's "project" M20 2002 is just asking for trouble unless you can have it carefully inspected by a real expert and know that all of the custom fabrication work was done correctly much less the wiring to install electronic fuel injection into a car that never had it.  Many used 2002s have wiring harnesses that have been horribly hacked over the years and having someone do a M20 conversion at home is just asking for a nightmare (you could ask for a wiring diagram that includes the M20 modification if they have one you might have found a good conversion) 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

That particular car seems to be a pretty nice, professionally-done, M20'02.  I like it a lot.  Of course a PPI is mandatory to check the "hidden" things.

----------------

Do you want a car you can build/personalize/oversee from scratch?

As for your inquiry, the 2002 is a great first-time vintage car.  Unmolested "honest" 2002's are getting very thin on the ground, but they do exist.  An "honest" car will allow you to get to get a good understanding of the 2002 (knowledge foundation), before venturing into a full restoration/modification project.  

--------------- 

Do you want a car that is completed and ready to go?

If you want a completed and modified car, then you should plan on a very thorough PPI by a shop familiar with hot-rodding 2002's to a high standard.  The 2002 has always been a "hot rodders" car, and thus can be subject to tasteful modifications with little effect on it's overall value.  There are a handfull of highly-respected shops (and droves of questionable shops) that will build you a car to spec.  However, as Preyupy brings up, a hacked up "project" performed by someone of questionable ability can throw a very wet towel over any initial enthusiasm.

-Hope that helps, good luck on your hunt.

Edited by AceAndrew

I like the hot rod 2002.  It still looks very OEM and has lots of little things done which are money takers if you do yourself.  

I wonder what it will  go for 

1974 2002 2.2stroker, DCOE45's, 300deg cam, 5 spd, 3.91 LSD // 1984 E24 M635csi, dogleg 5spd 3.23 LSD. // 1994 E34 540i, supercharged 16psi, 6spd E85 only, 3.15 LSD // 1997 E36 M3 Evo, low comp supercharged 18psi 6spd (under construction)

There are few, if any, bargains to be had on Bring a Trailer. You'll know what I mean when this auction ends.

Mind you, there aren't many surprises either, as these cars have to go through the gauntlet of posters' knowledgeable

comments.

Edited by BrentF

2 hours ago, laundromatt said:

I would just keep tabs on the comments on the BaT page for that car.  There are a few knowledgeable people who chime in there. 

... and some who are not ;-)

Stock 2002 brakes, properly working, are not bad at all.

Tho an upgrade when more power is swapped in, is likely prudent.

Agreed that this particular car was likely well-done IMO.

OP, 2002 mechanicals are quite simple, and rewarding to renew/restore. Bodywork (and trim) can be expensive and sobering. Unless you do that yourself.

Buy the best metal you can find, IMO.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Thanks for all the great replies.

OP, 2002 mechanicals are quite simple, and rewarding to renew/restore. Bodywork (and trim) can be expensive and sobering. Unless you do that yourself.

Buy the best metal you can find, IMO.

Buying a car with the best shell possible was always my plan since that seems like the most open ended cost and it's well beyond the scope of my skills and tools to do myself.  I'm sure I could learn but that doesn't seem like a ton of fun.

There are few, if any, bargains to be had on Bring a Trailer. You'll know what I mean when this auction ends.

Mind you, there aren't many surprises either, as these cars have to go through the gauntlet of posters' knowledgeable

comments.

That's the feeling I get as well, but since they leave the bid history and comments up it seems like a good way to find a price ceiling on a specific condition car.  Many of the price guides I've found tend to be pretty vague.

Being in Canada does make a US car more annoying.  I can import, but from my research it needs to be running and ready to pass a safety inspection right away.  I have seen a few come up for sale here which would greatly simplify matters, but since road salt is applied copiously and continuously this country eats cars.

7 minutes ago, theluketaylor said:

Being in Canada does make a US car more annoying.  I can import, but from my research it needs to be running and ready to pass a safety inspection right away.  I have seen a few come up for sale here which would greatly simplify matters, but since road salt is applied copiously and continuously this country eats cars.

US Car... add 1/3 to the purchase price at the moment.  Still not bad for the BAT car at $7K.  IMHO, regarding road salt:  don't drive it until Spring and the roads are dry.

Normally I wouldn't give it a second thought but I like the car because of the price and the obvious clean mods.  I did notice that the lower rear body (below bumper) has a cut-out for an early exhaust system.  Not sure what that is about.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Just now, PaulTWinterton said:

US Car... add 1/3 to the purchase price at the moment.  Still not bad for the BAT car at $7K.  IMHO, regarding road salt:  don't drive it until Spring and the roads are dry.

Yeah, between the exchange rate, import fees, and sales tax a US car gets expensive fast.  7k USD quickly becomes $11,000 CAD on the road here in Ontario.

Any nice car I bought would find a loving, dry home from November until mid April.  Hardly any good driving days anyway and old cars will just wilt.  I saw a porsche gt3 driving around today and just cringed knowing how much damage that poor car is receiving.

3 hours ago, theluketaylor said:

Thanks for all the great replies.

Being a Canadian myself, the best advice I can give you is "Go south young man" which is my way of saying the best cars are generally found in the US, and not Canada. That's where I found my '72. However the weak Canadian dollar makes that a tough pill to swallow.

I am surprised you are considering this purchase as a daily driver? Depending on where in Canada you live, that might not make the most sense.

Edited by BrentF

Hmmm.

There are a few details about the paint that would make me give it a careful once- over,

and as a first- timer old- timer it's going to be a bit of a challenge,

but it looks pretty nice.  If this is the sort of thing you're interested in, this looks like a pretty good candidate.

I think it's a pretty 'honest' bunch of updates- altho I personally don't like the 6er rear seat. 

However, I too would recommend the original power train for your first one.  Partly because

it's what it had, and partly because the E30 is now a vintage car as well- but it's a different era of vintage.

(all this goes out the window if you've had an M20 E30 and know how it works)

I know that sounds odd, but it's true- a 2002 will run with a battery and one wire, whereas you can spend a week

on an E30 wiring harness and STILL not be able to say with certainty that it's perfect.  Nor trust your AFM or ECU completely.

Horrifically, an E46 is now a third kind of vintage car... one with computer networks. EEPROMs and 'boxes that are 'non user servicable'- yes, both gearboxes AND electronics boxes...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL