• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat question

Dionk

Stop gap solution needed.

My drivers seat is literally disintegrating and the only thing separating my butt from seat springs/wires is cardboard, an IKEA pillow and a vintage lamb skin seat cover.

in my E30(daily driver) I swapped my mint passenger seat into the drivers side as the bolsters and internal hardware were broken.  This actual worked well even though It makes seat position adjustments awkward.  However once It's adjusted your fine.

Question: can the early 02 seats be swapped from passenger side to driver side? If so, this is happening tomorrow!

thanks

dion

IMG_9092.JPG

As a stop gap you can try and redo them cheap. If the existing seat covers are workable you can take them off and restuff with upholstery foam, then reattach and put the covers on again?

Try and find some e30 seats and fab something up to fit them in. Even the comfort seats...

Buy some ebay racing style seats?

You can bolt in E30 but you move up 3/4", you can make a frame if you want to lower.

10.1 drive (9).JPG

Boot3.jpg

I just went with it for the difference

E30.2002 Seats (6).JPG

Here you can see they're bolted to the existing location

E30.2002 Seats (7).JPG

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

1 hour ago, Dionk said:

Found a set of Mazda protege seats...price is low....seats look decent. As soon as the snow lets up I'm going to buy them and report back on install.

best

dion

I looked at the photo posted previously and due to the stitching I'm backtracking on my Mazda Protege evaluation. I'm pretty sure you could use protege seats but you should measure and check for yourself and please report back. I'm interested to find out. 

There is an article on the faq about alternate seats for '02s. Oldish ('80s and '90s, '02s are truly old) Hondas seem to often have seats that will fit pretty easily. Unfortunately, the article is old enough that 90% of the photos have disappeared due to 2002faq improvements over the years. Has anyone got a copy of the old article stashed in their hard drive someplace? Maybe some or all of the photos can be restored.

Edited by JerryC

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

On 1/7/2017 at 9:30 PM, JerryC said:

There is an article on the faq about alternate seats for '02s. Oldish ('80s and '90s, '02s are truly old) Hondas seem to often have seats that will fit pretty easily. Unfortunately, the article is old enough that 90% of the photos have disappeared due to 2002faq improvements over the years. Has anyone got a copy of the old article stashed in their hard drive someplace? Maybe some or all of the photos can be restored.

I printed that article out and put it in a 3-ring binder along with several older ones.  Not sure the scan would be very good...

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I dont know if the original question was answered, but NO you cant put the passenger in the driver side. It'll mount fine. I did that, and i tried driving it. It wont lock into place. there was no clearance issues. (I have a '76 2002)  Its drive-able...

But i feel like a yo-yo at times. 

I picked up some '94 Integra seats yesterday. In the process of fitting them..

Edited by Rosheee

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the inputs.  I will read that FAQ article.  The search for a good seat option for my car continues.  By good, I mean easy to install (no welding or cutting my car) and cheap as this is a short term option.  Long term, I want my original o2 seats and interior restored.  My favorite thing about the original seats are the look of the head rests. 

I had found some Mazda protege seats on Craigslist - but the guy responded once and never again. I may go out to a salvage yard this afternoon with a measuring tape.  Will report back if I do have any luck.

IMG_6807.JPG

Edited by Dionk
Typo and add pic