• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Fuel Pump FAQ

tjones02

Ed,

Your pictured lever style fuel pump appears to be the style of pump used on the 1600 and 1600ti. Although the 1600 fuel pump has a smaller 6mm inlet. Your pictured pump appears to have an 8mm inlet.The early 2002 and 2002ti lever style fuel pump is pictured below. I've attempted using a 2002 pump on a 1600 with stock carb, and it delivers too much fuel to the carb. But, when I used a larger carb such as the 32/36 on the 1600, the 2002 pump worked fine.

With regards to the lever style pump, there is the aftermarket Italian pump which is rebuildable. But, I've had bad luck with them.

As far as the VW diaghphram, I've used it to rebuild my 1600 pump. But, you are right, the spring has to be replaced as the VW spring is different. Those VW kits were very cheap, somewhere between $5 - $10.

And, Tom, thanks for the thorough explanation. Parts vendors lump all these pumps together. But, they differ in some very important details such as the example of the 1600 I cited above. The pumps were calibrated for the carbs and engines. I like the early rebuildable pumps.

4 2002 Fuel Pump.jpg

Edited by Slavs

HBChris, I had the rod fully extended and mounted the pump on it and there is really not enough rod protruding to compress the lever and hence the diaphragm.  I also turned the car over with the pump mounted and could not get any fuel pumping through it.

All I can think is that it is not the right pump despite the model number being correct per articles I have read.

Thanks for your posts.

Martin

• 5 months later...

If this is my current mechanical fuel pump, whats the best option for me? I see the option of rebuilding and everything i see for buying new doesn't look like mine. Can I use the new one that was the outlet hose fittings that go straight out and not one that has the 90 degree bend? I have an early 68 2002. Vin 1660016. So im not sure if my 90 degree outlet on the fuel pump is from a 1600 or what not. But Im looking for the best option for my bmw. Thanks!

20200506_131059.jpg

20200506_131040.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JFINK907 said:

... I have an early 68 2002. Vin 1660016....

What? ?

Sixteenth U.S.-spec 2002 manufactured. Probably January 1968. That is very early!

And it’s not in the Registry? Have you gotten a manufacturing date from BMW Group Archives? 

Original color? Color today? Clock or tachometer? Anti-roll bars front and rear? Embossed or smooth front moulding on hood?

This is great! Can you tell I’m a bit excited? ??

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

19 minutes ago, Conserv said:

What? ?

Sixteenth U.S.-spec 2002 manufactured. Probably January 1968. That is very early!

And it’s not in the Registry? Have you gotten a manufacturing date from BMW Group Archives? 

Original color? Color today? Clock or tachometer? Anti-roll bars front and rear? Embossed or smooth front moulding on hood?

This is great! Can you tell I’m a bit excited? ??

Regards,

Steve

I dont recall ever having it registered. I do remember asking specs on it at one point. I know I did look up the vin on the block, which doesn't match. I was curious about what i have for a motor cause it says 67.. 121 TI, which I don't know how it would have gotten a TI motor. Im pretty certain there was front end damage at some point in its life and thats when it must have been replaced. Can you tell me if it's truly a TI motor?

Original color I was told was Polaris. Currently is like a white with like a yellow over spray under the hood. Interior I was told the dark navy blue so I brought it back to that. The rear seat is an original horse hair seat with the tag on it. Front seats were reupholstered to match. 

Tachometer has 32k on it but im sure it rolled over a time or 2.

No anti-roll bars that I know of.

And it has an embossed front hood moulding. 

Thanks,

Joshua.

P.S. im still looking for help on the Mechanical fuel pump.

Thanks

20200506_141951.jpg

20200506_141554.jpg

20200506_135934.jpg

20200506_141916.jpg

375BCC3D-C1E0-456E-9DA7-67ABE678B93A.PNG

20200506_141905.jpg

That is a neat little fuel pump.  I like that style, with the outlet pointing that way.  It is the early-style that takes the longer push rod.  

I'd start by scrubbing it up with WD40 and a toothbrush... even if it is going in the spare parts bin.  If it still pumps fuel, I'd still use it.  

Is it working now?

People talk about rebuilding that screw top style with VW parts.  They also mention that it can be tricky to find the right bits and pieces to match.  

The newer style pumps that take the shorter rods are readily available, but I am not sure about the early style.  (they're similar to what came on old VWs).

The style you choose has a bit to do with how particular you are about originality.  

There is a kink in that pump design that keeps it up off of that coolant hose, but the stubby replacement pump made by Pierburg presses down on it.  I'd stay away from that one.  (search "stubby pump" and you'll see why)

The taller replacements cost a little more, but are money well spent.  If you contact Paul at Maximilian, or Steve at Blunttech and say you want the taller style pump, they'll tell you what your options are.

21 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

That is a neat little fuel pump.  I like that style, with the outlet pointing that way.  It is the early-style that takes the longer push rod.  

I'd start by scrubbing it up with WD40 and a toothbrush... even if it is going in the spare parts bin.  If it still pumps fuel, I'd still use it.  

Is it working now?

People talk about rebuilding that screw top style with VW parts.  They also mention that it can be tricky to find the right bits and pieces to match.  

The newer style pumps that take the shorter rods are readily available, but I am not sure about the early style.  (they're similar to what came on old VWs).

The style you choose has a bit to do with how particular you are about originality.  

There is a kink in that pump design that keeps it up off of that coolant hose, but the stubby replacement pump made by Pierburg presses down on it.  I'd stay away from that one.  (search "stubby pump" and you'll see why)

The taller replacements cost a little more, but are money well spent.  If you contact Paul at Maximilian, or Steve at Blunttech and say you want the taller style pump, they'll tell you what your options are.

I perfer to keep as much as original as possible. I currently was experiencing fuel leaking when i first started it this spring. And also after I had the carb rebuild and put back on we noticed there isn't much fuel being distrubed when I pump the gas and try to start it. My the mechanic helping me with the issue said my fuel filter is probable bad so here I am. I know it still moves fuel but its little amounts.

And thank you.  Ill check with blunttech!

2 hours ago, JFINK907 said:

I dont recall ever having it registered. I do remember asking specs on it at one point. I know I did look up the vin on the block, which doesn't match. I was curious about what i have for a motor cause it says 67.. 121 TI, which I don't know how it would have gotten a TI motor. Im pretty certain there was front end damage at some point in its life and thats when it must have been replaced. Can you tell me if it's truly a TI motor?

Original color I was told was Polaris. Currently is like a white with like a yellow over spray under the hood. Interior I was told the dark navy blue so I brought it back to that. The rear seat is an original horse hair seat with the tag on it. Front seats were reupholstered to match. 

Tachometer has 32k on it but im sure it rolled over a time or 2.

No anti-roll bars that I know of.

And it has an embossed front hood moulding. 

Thanks,

Joshua.

P.S. im still looking for help on the Mechanical fuel pump.

Thanks

20200506_141951.jpg

20200506_141554.jpg

20200506_135934.jpg

20200506_141916.jpg

375BCC3D-C1E0-456E-9DA7-67ABE678B93A.PNG

20200506_141905.jpg

OK, Joshua!

First, would you mind providing a photo of the engine number, even if we’ve been through this before? I’d like to put your car in the forum’s Registry. The engine number is on a flat boss at the very rear of the engine block, just above the back end of the starter motor (first photo shows an example).

The type 121TI head appeared on many 2002’s, including ti’s, tii’s, and plain old 2002’s. It might have been named for design developments, e.g., valve and/or combustion chamber developments, originated with the earliest ti (the 1600ti), but the 121TI head designation says nothing about your particular car’s sub-model. With that said, your car’s head was cast November 1967 (11 nubs surrounding “67”). That’s... very interesting, as it implies not only a very early 121 head, but a head that, date-wise, is perfect for a 2002 manufactured on January 15, 1968, as yours was. Stated differently, I believe your car retains its factory-installed head, even if the block has been changed!

Your car, like many of the first few 2002’s, has a factory sunroof. As to the front hood moulding, if it is original to the car — and that’s a big “if” on any 50+ year old car — would suggest that a few of the earliest production 2002‘s may have actually received the 1600-2-style hood moulding that appears in the earliest 2002 brochures. We’ve debated this point for years, without a clear resolution.

The backseat looks correct, with 35 pleats and heat-seamed vinyl that has faux stitching molded into the valleys.

All in all, a great example of a very early 2002. Eventually, it should really be returned to its original Polaris! It would be a twin to the first two U.S. 2002’s, VIN 1660001 and 1660002, the former shown below in a May 1968 road test.

Your car even has the original Owner’s handbook, showing the name of the delivering dealer (Zimdars Motors, Inc.), original delivery date (May 15, 1968), and original owner ( Larry Gross). All great!

Thanks and regards,

Steve

31156692-DDF4-4D43-B93F-F2FA5A8BC43D.jpeg

8189FF64-E67D-47D1-9F06-EBC3321EA750.jpeg

6AE06FA1-EAA5-4D2F-8A41-733078312A6E.jpeg

42CEC79E-EEE0-478A-B44B-DD10A237C6E7.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

33 minutes ago, Conserv said:

OK, Joshua!

First, would you mind providing a photo of the engine number, even if we’ve been through this before? I’d like to put your car in the forum’s Registry. The engine number is on a flat boss at the very rear of the engine block, just above the back end of the starter motor (first photo shows an example).

The type 121TI head appeared on many 2002’s, including ti’s, tii’s, and plain old 2002’s. It might have been named for design developments, e.g., valve and/or combustion chamber developments, originated with the earliest ti (the 1600ti), but the 121TI head designation says nothing about your particular car’s sub-model. With that said, your car’s head was cast November 1967 (11 nubs surrounding “67”). That’s... very interesting, as it implies not only a very early 121 head, but a head that, date-wise, is perfect for a 2002 manufactured on January 15, 1968, as yours was. Stated differently, I believe your car retains its factory-installed head, even if the block has been changed!

Your car, like many of the first few 2002’s, has a factory sunroof. As to the front hood moulding, if it is original to the car — and that’s a big “if” on any 50+ year old car — would suggest that a few of the earliest production 2002‘s may have actually received the 1600-2-style hood moulding that appears in the earliest 2002 brochures. We’ve debated this point for years, without a clear resolution.

The backseat looks correct, with 35 pleats and heat-seamed vinyl that has faux stitching molded into the valleys.

All in all, a great example of a very early 2002. Eventually, it should really be returned to its original Polaris! It would be a twin to the first two U.S. 2002’s, VIN 1660001 and 1660002, the former shown below in a May 1968 road test.

Your car even has the original Owner’s handbook, showing the name of the delivering dealer (Zimdars Motors, Inc.), original delivery date (May 15, 1968), and original owner ( Larry Gross). All great!

Thanks and regards,

Steve

31156692-DDF4-4D43-B93F-F2FA5A8BC43D.jpeg

8189FF64-E67D-47D1-9F06-EBC3321EA750.jpeg

6AE06FA1-EAA5-4D2F-8A41-733078312A6E.jpeg

42CEC79E-EEE0-478A-B44B-DD10A237C6E7.jpeg

Thanks for all the information. I ultimately plan to get it back to Polaris at some point in it's life. I try to keep it as original as possible with being able to keep it on the road. It has its share of issues needing fixing but we are coming a long way from when I first got it.

Thanks,

Josh

20200506_174150.jpg

20200506_174441.jpg

20200506_174447.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi - That looks like the "506" fuel pump (13 31 1 252 506).  The parts book show it as specific to the 1600 engine, but I have run one on my 2002ti for several years.  They have an 8 mm inlet and a 6 mm outlet.  Believe it or not, they are available new from ECS for $100.  https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/fuel-pump/13311252506/

Alternatively, there's a rebuild kit available - this one fits:  https://www.bbt4vw.com/en/catalogue/5-engine/6-fuel-and-intake /fuel-pump-rebuild-kit/rebuild-kit-fuel-pump-t1-08-60-07-65/

There are probably other rebuild kits that would work as well.  Possibly any kit for a 1500/1600 VW would work.  Hopefully someone better versed in VW stuff will confirm that.

Unfortunately, I started having fuel pressure issues with the 506 pump, probably because it sat for a year and half while I did some work on my car.  I swapped in a diaphragm from another pump I had, and it improved a lot, but still not where it should be.  For now I am running a spare pump for a bavaria I have, but may end rebuilding the 506.  It looks more period correct to me.

Good luck.

• Like 1

1971 2002ti

Well, bummer.  They probably had one or two left over from Bav Auto.  W&N had them, but it appears they are out of them.  The one I bought from them several years ago had a 1990 date stamp, so I suspect all the ones that are/were out there wer NOS.

1971 2002ti