• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BBS RS 15x9 NEED TIRES Kidroundie needs your help!

Kidroundie

People do lots of things in life, only some of them are sensible.

If you get in an accident and your insurance company sees those tyres and wheels they will not be paying out. They are just looking for an excuse to blame you and your car and that is it. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

49 minutes ago, Kidroundie said:

Okay. Thank you. Again I'm planning on flares so the tires rubbing is not going to be a problem 

Really? Awh. The factory body is so clean when its flare-less. If your paint/metal is good around the fenders, I think you'll be happier with rolling the lips and fitting a more usable wheel/tire combo.

You'll also be happier with how it handles too. Big, fat, and wide makes for slow heavy steering, and slower acceleration due to higher rotational mass. A narrower tire will also allow you to have more fun tossing it around at manageable speeds.

I plan keeping the 15x7 route as a cruising/commute wheel, but want to get something small and light and a little bit wide (but tight enough to clear at bottom out) for sport driving. 

Have you considered  trading the 3" lips for 1/2"?  I'm sure there are plenty of VW people that would be interested.  Check VWVortex website on the wheel forum, and see what you can do.  Swapping the lips over isn't that big of a deal, and you don't really have many other options.

Chris

1 hour ago, project-jaw said:

To safely run 9" with proper tires, you'll need flares.  Otherwise you are going to be stuck in stretch-ville and no one wants that.    The car below is running 15x9 ATS Classics and without the boxed fenders it's not happening.

EA_800.jpg

Yeah I was planning of flares. Thank you for your help! 

Seth 

1 hour ago, project-jaw said:

I'll make you a deal on those RS's if you feel inclined to get rid of them.

Thank you for the interest but these are my dream wheel and I could literally never sell them they are to special to me. But thank you for your interest! 

Seth 

3 hours ago, cwlo said:

Have you considered  trading the 3" lips for 1/2"?  I'm sure there are plenty of VW people that would be interested.  Check VWVortex website on the wheel forum, and see what you can do.  Swapping the lips over isn't that big of a deal, and you don't really have many other options.

Chris

Swapping the lips is not an option for me but that you for your idea of that! 

Seth

On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 3:42 AM, Kidroundie said:

........ I didn't realize how much they would stick out I haven't decided if I'm doing the turbo fender flares or metal custom ones. That still to decide. ...

16 hours ago, project-jaw said:

To safely run 9" with proper tires, you'll need flares.  Otherwise you are going to be stuck in stretch-ville and no one wants that.    The car below is running 15x9 ATS Classics and without the boxed fenders it's not happening.

15 hours ago, Kidroundie said:

Yeah I was planning of flares. Thank you for your help! 

Seth 

Seth--just be aware that the turbo-style flares are not enough for 235 or wider tires. I am running 225/45/15 on 15x7 rims (ET25) on my '74 track car and just barely have enough room with the IE turbo flares. I am running spacers in front to avoid interference between the rim and control arm (1" offset bump steer spacers), my car is significantly lowered, and I trimmed off the inner lip of the flares front and back for needed clearance. The full flares you need generally come in two different widths, at least the Schnitzer box style does. On my '69 track car I have the wider 4" box flares, they should be able to handle the 15x10 rims I will eventually get. Best of luck with the project--Fred

Edit: Oops, I meant 225/45/15, not 225/60/15. No way those would fit, and I doubt they even come in that size

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

2 minutes ago, FB73tii said:

Seth--just be aware that the turbo-style flares are not enough for 235 or wider tires. I am running 225/60/15 on 15x7 rims (ET25) on my '74 track car and just barely have enough room with the IE turbo flares. I am running spacers in front to avoid interference between the rim and control arm (1" offset bump steer spacers), my car is significantly lowered, and I trimmed off the inner lip of the flares front and back for needed clearance. The full flares you need generally come in two different widths, at least the Schnitzer box style does. On my '69 track car I have the wider 4" box flares, they should be able to handle the 15x10 rims I will eventually get. Best of luck with the project--Fred

Really huh. Well that you for informing me about that I appreciate your help! 

Seth 

Let's see:

You have neither time nor money to change the lips, but you have resources to hack up 40 year old bodywork in a manner that's near-irreversible.

How are you quantifying that wider tires make '02's handle better? Are you planning track car use only?

Sorry, but I suggest you re-think your options here. Just my opinion.

Your car of course, so do what you want.

Good luck,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

48 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Let's see:

You have neither time nor money to change the lips, but you have resources to hack up 40 year old bodywork in a manner that's near-irreversible.

How are you quantifying that wider tires make '02's handle better? Are you planning track car use only?

Sorry, but I suggest you re-think your options here. Just my opinion.

Your car of course, so do what you want.

Good luck,

Ray is spot on. We are not being a bunch of grumpy "old" guys. We have years of experience and are telling you what you need to hear, whether or not it's what you want to hear.

Slow down, and don't do anything you'll regret. Your taste will change as you get older, and if you hack up your body to fit some "stancey" wheels at 18 years old, you will probably regret it down the line, especially if you do it on a college budget.

From a technical standpoint, 9" wheels are only going to hurt your performance. The 2002 was a well-balanced car from the factory, designed around skinny 13" wheels. If you put on 15x9 BBS, they are only going to upset the balance of your car and make it slower and "dumber," unless you reengineer everything (suspension, stiffen the chassis, triple the power, etc). FYI stretched 195 tires on a 9" rim will give you worse performance than the same 195 tires on a 7" rim, due to weight, sidewall angle and flex, etc...

Do you want it to go fast, or "look" fast?

If you must use those wheels, sell the 3" lips, get 1" lips, and run them at 15x7. Use the leftover money for new tires. Problem solved.

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

Another point as an addition to Blue's above comment about being designed around narrow 13 inch wheels, you should also think about the additional loads being applied to the suspension/vehicle by putting on a larger tire.

You're essentially almost tripling your contact patch, which sounds great, but that also means you're throwing the same factor of stress on components designed around those original skinny contact patches. Here in Germany, there's an entire mandatory work-list that must be done to even be allowed to run anything over 14x5.5 on the road, which involves bigger brakes, upgraded suspension, blah blah blah blah blah... The TUV gave me all sorts of hell just allowing a one-size width up tire on what I call my "TUV" wheels. They're stocker-ish 13's, and I only put the one-ups on because I wanted a bit more road comfort. 

At the moment you're never going to get near those limits when your fender setup, but if you ever do want to track, or even Spiritedly drive your little friend at the limit of that big rubber, I'd be looking at boxing in suspension arms, upgrading your bushings to poly, up-rated swaybars, etc. 

2 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

Another point as an addition to Blue's above comment about being designed around narrow 13 inch wheels, you should also think about the additional loads being applied to the suspension/vehicle by putting on a larger tire.

You're essentially almost tripling your contact patch, which sounds great, but that also means you're throwing the same factor of stress on components designed around those original skinny contact patches. Here in Germany, there's an entire mandatory work-list that must be done to even be allowed to run anything over 14x5.5 on the road, which involves bigger brakes, upgraded suspension, blah blah blah blah blah... The TUV gave me all sorts of hell just allowing a one-size width up tire on what I call my "TUV" wheels. They're stocker-ish 13's, and I only put the one-ups on because I wanted a bit more road comfort. 

At the moment you're never going to get near those limits when your fender setup, but if you ever do want to track, or even Spiritedly drive your little friend at the limit of that big rubber, I'd be looking at boxing in suspension arms, upgrading your bushings to poly, up-rated swaybars, etc. 

I have built my motor forged rods, pistons, bigger cam, bigger carb, bored out slightly, poly bushings all the way around, h&r street spring's, koni 2 way adjustable shocks and struts, big break kit in front which are Volvo calipers and ceramic pads with vented and cross drilled rotor, ti drum brakes in back, bigger sway bars, etc list keeps going.