• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BBS RS 15x9 NEED TIRES Kidroundie needs your help!

Kidroundie

Hello my fellow 02 lovers,

Seth from Alaska here, I just picked up a beautiful pair of BBS RS 15x9 have had them on my car for about 2 months. Sadly they have streced tires on them the tire size currently is 195/45/r15 I do not like stretched tires at all they serve no practical purpose. the recommend tire size for a 9 inch wide wheel is: 

Rim width (inch) Min. tire width (mm) Ideal tire width (mm)
Rim width (inch) Min. tire width (mm) Ideal tire width (mm)
9,0 235 245 or 255

Here is a picture  of the wheels on my 02! 

IMG_20160727_222847328_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160728_222336.jpg

Snapchat-3823811575688965201.jpg

I have gone on tire tire rack multiple times looking for the tire sizes they do not have any tires that size. I NEED HELP! I am looking for performance tires. 

Thank you for listening and your help! 

Seth aka 

KIDROUNDIE 

Edited by Kidroundie

You need to change the outer lips of those RS's to make them fit. If you bought the tires you searched for you wouldn't be able to drive anymore as they would rub drastically on fenders. You say you have 9" width so you probably have 3" lips now. If you go to 0,5 inch lip you will have 6,5" width which will be perfect for 195/50/15 tire. You would need to check the figures, I may be inch or half off guessing from here as the inner barrels vary too.

Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBS-RS-30-Hole-15-Wheel-Drop-Lips-/252541008872

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

You need to change the outer lips of those RS's to make them fit. If you bought the tires you searched for you wouldn't be able to drive anymore as they would rub drastically on fenders. You say you have 9" width so you probably have 3" lips now. If you go to 0,5 inch lip you will have 6,5" width which will be perfect for 195/50/15 tire. You would need to check the figures, I may be inch or half off guessing from here as the inner barrels vary too.

Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBS-RS-30-Hole-15-Wheel-Drop-Lips-/252541008872

They came with tires they do rub right now but no much since I have a stiff suspension set up. Again They are 3 inch Schmidt Radinox lips. Changing the lips is not an option for me. I don't have the time nor money to buy new lips and I feel involve with these wheels and lip combination. and also i bough these wheels because i wanted wider wheels than i had previously. 

Thanks, Seth 

Hmm... you have some some seriously mixed desires. If you want wide wheels but do not like stretched tire...basically you would need to replace the car then or at least install some flares which again doesn't sound right for your situation. Sorry, maybe someone else can empathize you better and give some answers you like :)

Mate that is currently a dangerous combination you have there. I would be surprised that a tyre fitter would entertain fitting those tyres to that wheel size. Certainly not a professional one. 

The problem you have is that those wheels are way too big and to get those rims functional will need significant body modification with arches, spacers and perhaps even tubbing internally. This will be a lot more expensive than buying replacement barrel lips and modifying the width of the rim. Even then you may need to roll or pull your arches but this should be a lot more reasonable. 

Have a search on here for others who have fitted similar size wheels to see what they have had to do. Whatever you do, get those tyres changed as soon as you can. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Hmm... you have some some seriously mixed desires. If you want wide wheels but do not like stretched tire...basically you would need to replace the car then or at least install some flares which again doesn't sound right for your situation. Sorry, maybe someone else can empathize you better and give some answers you like :)

Thanks. I'm not understanding how I have mixed desires? I bought wide wheels so that car handles better, they don't rub unless u hit a huge bump or pole whole. Wide wheels and stretched tires are not a smart combination at all. It stupid and does not serve any function purpose at all. 

4 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Mate that is currently a dangerous combination you have there. I would be surprised that a tyre fitter would entertain fitting those tyres to that wheel size. Certainly not a professional one. 

The problem you have is that those wheels are way too big and to get those rims functional will need significant body modification with arches, spacers and perhaps even tubbing internally. This will be a lot more expensive than buying replacement barrel lips and modifying the width of the rim. Even then you may need to roll or pull your arches but this should be a lot more reasonable. 

Have a search on here for others who have fitted similar size wheels to see what they have had to do. Whatever you do, get those tyres changed as soon as you can. 

5 minutes ago, Simeon said:

I'm not sure how it's a dangerous combination? And I'm not sure why I need to get flare's? Can you explain More, kind of dumb it down I'm not understanding ehat your staying exactly.

Thanks, seth 

16 minutes ago, Kidroundie said:

Thanks. I'm not understanding how I have mixed desires? I bought wide wheels so that car handles better, they don't rub unless u hit a huge bump or pole whole. Wide wheels and stretched tires are not a smart combination at all. It stupid and does not serve any function purpose at all. 

Well as you see from your first picture the wheels come way past the body of your car. They are simply too wide for the car. They don't rub much now but if you change wider tires they will.

I'm not totally with Simeon saying they're that dangerous. Yes the combination is not recommended but the "stance" guys (I hate the word) do that all day long and this is not even the worst example. But they do it because they think it looks good. Excessively wide wheels don't make the car handle better. 

17 minutes ago, Kidroundie said:

You're serious wide for stock fenders.

See how your tire is wider than your fenders? if you hit a decent bump at speed that fender is going to cleanly cut through your tire and, at best, damage your precious rims, at worst, send you spinning into a ditch or wall. 

Wide wheels and tires with stock fenders and no flares is a stupid combination that serves no functional purpose at all if you cant actually corner to the limits of the tire. Something narrower and that fits would much better serve its purpose. 

I have 15x7 et28 offset, and I had to do a LOT of fender rolling and pulling on the fronts with 205's and they'll still rub under heavy compression in tight switchback corners.

You're cruisin' for a bruisin' with the setup you have. Going wider with your tires will only exacerbate the problem.

And... thats TOOO much wheel and tire for your car anyway. Throw another 150 HP at it first.

The 195 tyre is not designed to be mounted to a rim that width. The figures that you copied from Tyre Rack's website are not just 'recommendations' they are absolute values. Those rims are not safe to be used on any car without tyres between those widths (235 and 255). If you take a look at your picture from side on and then imagine that with a more vertical tyre sidewall. The tyre would then foul the arch as it is now (hence the arches) but also image what it is doing on the inside where it will then be fouling suspension and the inner arch. This would then prompt spacers as you would need to move the wheel out outward (needing more arch). 

The simple ply answer is that wider and wider wheels does not equate to better handling as you need the suspension geometry to allow you to make use of it. The racers on this board can explain better than I can but read this article to give some insight into the relationship between the various parts of a car suspension, steering and wheels. 

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2011/04/wheel-tech-part-ii-size-matters/

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

2 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

if you hit a decent bump at speed that fender is going to cleanly cut through your tire and, at best, damage your precious rims, at worst, send you spinning into a ditch or wall. 

To correct what I said last - YES this makes them dangerous!

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Well as you see from your first picture the wheels come way past the body of your car. They are simply too wide for the car. They don't rub much now but if you change wider tires they will.

I'm not totally with Simeon saying they're that dangerous. Yes the combination is not recommended but the "stance" guys (I hate the word) do that all day long and this is not even the worst example. But they do it because they think it looks good. Excessively wide wheels don't make the car handle better. 

Okay thank you for clarification. Well I wanted that look I didn't realize how much they would stick out I haven't decided if I'm doing the turbo fender flares or metal custom ones. That still to decide. I also wanted wide wheels for the look. I don't agree it's dangerous, bit that my opinion. The only place they rub in when the car hits huge bump or pot hole and the back top of fender touches top of the tire. I'm definitely not a stance guy. Yes I like the look but I also did it to make the car handle better. But sorry I didn't totally clarify myself too. But thank you for your thoughts and ideas! 

Seth

8 minutes ago, Simeon said:

The 195 tyre is not designed to be mounted to a rim that width. The figures that you copied from Tyre Rack's website are not just 'recommendations' they are absolute values. Those rims are not safe to be used on any car without tyres between those widths (235 and 255). If you take a look at your picture from side on and then imagine that with a more vertical tyre sidewall. The tyre would then foul the arch as it is now (hence the arches) but also image what it is doing on the inside where it will then be fouling suspension and the inner arch. This would then prompt spacers as you would need to move the wheel out outward (needing more arch). 

The simple ply answer is that wider and wider wheels does not equate to better handling as you need the suspension geometry to allow you to make use of it. The racers on this board can explain better than I can but read this article to give some insight into the relationship between the various parts of a car suspension, steering and wheels. 

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2011/04/wheel-tech-part-ii-size-matters/

Okay. Thank you. Again I'm planning on flares so the tires rubbing is not going to be a problem