• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential purchase in Denver

nbmgreg

Hi all,

So in my searches for an 02 I have come across a green 1972 that I really like, however it is located in Denver CO and I'm located in Los Angeles. I have been talking with the owner, a 70 year old car collector, for a few days now and he has explained everything he knows about the car good and bad. At this point, I'm a little overwhelmed because I would obviously like to see the car in person, but I am very weary of flying up and driving the car back over 1,000 miles through the desert. This would be my first 02 and I haven't got the slightest idea of how this car handles road trips. The owner says the car runs and drives great, runs cool etc. but does not know the condition on the under-side, as he does not work on the car himself, however he says his long time mechanic has taken care of anything the car needs and has not mentioned any structural damage/cancerous rust etc. The car is not perfect, it's got a little surface rust under the hood, and two dime sized spots behind the rear wheels.

does anybody live in the Denver area and could possibly help me out with this one? I think the best option would be to have it checked out by somebody that knows 02's, and then if it checks out I simply purchase the car and have it shipped to me. I don't think I want to risk driving it, and I certainly don't want to fly round trip and then pay for shipping on top of that. 

any ideas?

bmw2.jpg

bmw3.jpg

DSCN0314.JPG

Edited by nbmgreg

Looks good...I'd have the guy snap underside pics and trunk pics and if it show no structural rust, fly out there and drive back.  I did that...my 02 didn't go over 65 the whole way back from the bay area to SoCal...but I had a huge grin on my face the ENTIRE time!  Or you could rent a truck and a trailer and tow it back...but what fun is that??

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

1 minute ago, repoman said:

This string might help a bit.....

It's been for sale for awhile...

whoa!!! small world in the 02 community I guess... well this certainly puts a spin on things, damn. 

I guess I have some thinking/more probing to do. Just wish I was closer to the car :(

31 minutes ago, jrhone said:

Looks good...I'd have the guy snap underside pics and trunk pics and if it show no structural rust, fly out there and drive back.  I did that...my 02 didn't go over 65 the whole way back from the bay area to SoCal...but I had a huge grin on my face the ENTIRE time!  Or you could rent a truck and a trailer and tow it back...but what fun is that??

I did get some pictures of the trunk... It looks as though it's been repainted at one point? Not sure if the shock towers came covered in paint from the factory. Also, there is one area that looks strange to me which i circled, maybe bondo?? Seems to be a different texture and/or cracking, but as always it could be just the picture:

thumbnail_DSCN0340.jpg

DSCN0339.JPG

Edited by nbmgreg

+! with jrhone......

couple of photos of the underside..short video of the thing running...the thing has a california plate, appears clean as.........theres no doubt in my mind that if the price was right and the above checked out, i'd buy a one way ticket........what a great adventure...i'm excited for you i love cheap thrills like this........

to easy

ira

I wouldn't have any issue just having the car shipped, the idea of that road trip stresses me out. However if the car is mechanically sound than I would consider driving it. At this point I am just trying to figure out the best way to get the real story on this car without wasting time/money. It is my favorite color and a roundie which I prefer. 

EDIT: if there is anybody in Denver willing to check this out, I would be willing to throw some money your way of course. 

Edited by nbmgreg

I'm in Denver, but I'm not an expert on buying 02s even though I've had mine for 46 years.  I can't look at it until next week.  I prefer to drive it as well as look it over.

Jim

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

So again I did something similar but the car was more like 500 miles away. I spoke to the guy a few times. I flew in and looked at the car. It was at his mechanics and up on a lift so I could really examine it. Mechanic knew I was going to drive to to SoCal so he tuned it up and changed the oil and checked all fluids. I bought it and drove from NorCal at 6 pm and got home about 3 am.  It was a fun trip and one that I will never forget.  If the price is right ship it, but....can't be THAT hard to find one on the west coast. If it's too cheap and it's still on the market then it's too good to be true. Good ones at good prices go in minutes. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

1 hour ago, jimk said:

I'm in Denver, but I'm not an expert on buying 02s even though I've had mine for 46 years.  I can't look at it until next week.  I prefer to drive it as well as look it over.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I'll keep you in mind if I do in fact get that far. As of now, I'm waiting to hear back as to whether we can talk to his mechanic who supposedly has handled any work/repairs the car has needed. He may have some good insight for me.

54 minutes ago, jrhone said:

So again I did something similar but the car was more like 500 miles away. I spoke to the guy a few times. I flew in and looked at the car. It was at his mechanics and up on a lift so I could really examine it. Mechanic knew I was going to drive to to SoCal so he tuned it up and changed the oil and checked all fluids. I bought it and drove from NorCal at 6 pm and got home about 3 am.  It was a fun trip and one that I will never forget.  If the price is right ship it, but....can't be THAT hard to find one on the west coast. If it's too cheap and it's still on the market then it's too good to be true. Good ones at good prices go in minutes. 

This sounds like a solid experience, and I would have done the same thing if I were you. The drive from Denver to LA has some seriously desolate stretches though, and very hilly, that's what's scaring me. 

16 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Maybe it's my screen, but the colour looks more like Jade Green (non '72 colour) than Agave. Perhaps a repaint?

I think it's jade green too... did not know it was not offered in 1972 though. I am pretty sure it has been repainted, as i mentioned before I doubt the shock tower bushings/hardware in the trunk were coated in paint from the factory.

And if you look carefully at the first picture, it has an aftermarket pop-up glass sunroof--a popular thing to do back in the 70s, and OK if done properly and not by some yahoo with a recip saw and tinsnips.  However, that sunroof will bring the car's value down.  

Hard to tell about the paint--it appears to be a repaint (overspray on the rear shocks in the trunk) but in at least one of the trunk shots, the green is dark enough to be Agave.  And Jadegrun was not a '72 color; Agave was.  

I bought two 318is E30s--the first one sight unseen--and drove 'em back to Ohio from Oklahoma and SW Florida with nary a problem; great trips in fun cars.  But the Denver to LA drive is a lot more difficult terrain-wise unless you drive south to NM and then across I-10--fewer mountains that way.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite