• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct vent window center caps...

COOP

So I ordered new vent window center caps for my '72 tii as the originals look a little chewed up. All roundie 02s that I've ever owned have had the "chrome" rings in the cap like in the first picture...but the ones that I received are just plain black plastic which doesn't look so nice, see second pic. Are these still considered "correct?!" I wouldn't think so...

COOP

image.png

image.png

I am finding that altho you may order something from BMW, or Mobile Traditions, the items are NOT always ORIGINAL equipment. The covering for the trunk panels, from BMW, is not the same as the original material, just grey vinyl, and the new 2002 logo for the rear, altho BMW, a cheaper repo. thin material. Here too it seems with your knob insert altho functional, is not the same as the original item.

I think you nailed it Russell...It's disappointing because while BMW cheapens up their replacement parts and alters them to non-correct specs, they have simultaneously hit the buying public with a 30-40%, across-the-board price hike per Roger (Roger's tii). I'd be less miffed about this obscene increase if the parts were up to snuff in both quality and correctness...seems like a bit of a double-f***ing to me. I guess the counterpoint to my kvetching would be that we should all be grateful that we can get replacement parts at all...

COOP

I guess after 40+ years there aren't enough live bodies left that know what "Original" is for these cars.

But I can see based on the limited quantities of any single part to be made, warehoused and kept on the books, the cost can be quite a bit higher.  Unless the part is used on another car, open your nose because you will be paying thru it, on hair at a time.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

We don't quite get the same "love" that Mercedes-Benz gives to their owners of classic cars re: number of available parts, but the prices for ours are relatively affordable, when they are available.  I, too, prefer to get the same part that I'm trying to replace vs. a new iteration of it, like the vent window center caps.  Someone was making them from metal within the past decade - shiny ring with the rest painted black (bimmerdoc.com or Jaymic).

Edited by John_in_VA
added info

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

IIRC the original caps have a metal trim ring held onto the plastic base with little bent-over tabs pushed through holes in the plastic.  I think with a little care you could transfer the metal rings from your chewed up bases to your new covers by making a few holes in the new one to match the tabs on the metal ring.  

But to answer your original question, no US cars came with plain ones--they all had the metal trim.  Interestingly, 2000CS coupes used the same cover, but it was all chrome-plated plastic.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

11 hours ago, mike said:

IIRC the original caps have a metal trim ring held onto the plastic base with little bent-over tabs pushed through holes in the plastic.  I think with a little care you could transfer the metal rings from your chewed up bases to your new covers by making a few holes in the new one to match the tabs on the metal ring.  

This is great! Very helpful...Thanks!

COOP

There are the chrome plated plastic ones that come on 3.0 CS coupes.  Maybe you could black out the chrome and just leave the ring in chrome?

https://www.wallothnesch.com/kappe-fuer-handrad-chrom-fuer-alle-modelle-und-baujahre-passend-wird-2x-pro-auto-benoetigt-51-22-06.html

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

You do have the RARE cap removal tool, right COOP?

004.JPG

It's funny, the proportions look different on the all black cover as well.  The ring looks bigger than those with the metal insert.  What did you wind up doing with yours?

This thread made me look closer at my covers and I will polish the rings a little, now that I know they are real metal, as opposed to the mylar stips on the doors.  Those are kinda cheesy, imho.

Unfortunately a PO of my car did not have this special tool and tried to pry the caps off with a little screw driver.  I was mostly able to moosh the damage back to flat.  Luckily this stuff all blends together on my car.  It is a 'used car'.

Tom

yup

the two on the right show evidence of someone not knowing about the little hole on the back of the knob, where the special rare removal tool is inserted.

Actually it looks like all those caps have been removed by prying them out from the front.

Some of them were just done a little more carefully.

Tom

While few seemed to know about the hole in the back of the knob, even fewer knew of the circle on the outer perimeter of the knob's front letting you know where said hole was located.  I don't have anything near as fancy as Tom to press out the center cap.  An Allen wrench or custom-formed length of wire has been my go-to.

2002ventwindowknob.jpg

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Ha, I would have thought that little mark was left by a prying tool in the hand of a PO.

Re: fancy... welding rod and a piece of a nail that was sitting on the bench.

It was made during one of those times when I really should not have been working on the car in the first place... with other things on my plate.  

Funny how extra little 'opportunities' pop-up during those procrastination/indulgent 2002 times.  "OOooh, I need a tool for that!"