• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this normal for a gearbox ?

Pacs

Hi guys,

New to the BMW 2002 scene. 

Just got a '73 1602 with a wide body. But the car needs a tone of work.

And one of the biggest things i can't understand is why does my gearbox stick have so much play in it.

Is this not the original gearbox on the car? 

Please see the photos and video bellow and let me know what you make of this:

Any feedback is greatly appreciated 

Regards,

Screenshot_20160620-132023.png

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Hey Pacs,

Welcome to the forum. Tons of info available on this site, and the forum members are supper awesome to. Very knowledgeable people here.

That play on your shifting platform doesn't look right at all. If I were you I would jack the car up on to jack stands and get underneath with a flash light. Get your fingers past the drive shaft and exhaust and try and push the shift platform up and down and see why it is moving so much.

Now that shift platform is connected to the transmission using three points of contact.

The first two points are at the front of the shift platform where two metal tabs bolt the platform to the rear end of the tranny. Look for them with a flash light shinning down the back of the tranny - just make sure they are there. You will be able to get a ratchet with an extension and tighten bolts for #11 in above post

The third one is a cross brace (#19). One end bolts to the platform while the other end bolts to the lower part of the tranny. Check that this is in place

Start there.

Regards

Raj

Edited by rapandi

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

Whoa....it's certainly unconnected somewhere. Gonna need a shifter rebuild kit, and likely some other parts.

Give Steve a call at Blunttech for the kit.  https://www.blunttech.com/products/3182220

Also read about making some replacement bushings for the dogbone link 

Go to RealOEM for nice exploded views of particular parts and systems.  http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ST12-USA-06-1971-114-BMW-2002&diagId=23_0774

Rebuilding the shifter isn't complicated, but if you have big hands, it's easier if you drop the driveshaft... then you can replace the Guibo, since you are there (scope creep) :)

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

While were on this topic...before I tore my car apart we all noticed the stick shift went too far forward to shift into first or third. So far in fact, you would mash your knuckles into the radio.

While tearing it down I haven't noticed anything weird with the linkage underneath. The transmission (and engine) are now out of the car, but what would make the stick go so far forward? Internal tranny linkage?

Sorry to hijack the thread...

Nick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Pacs,

+1 the two bolts (part #10) at the top which fasten the whole shifter assembly to the transmission.

I'm guessing the right-side bolt is missing, I recently had that very same problem.  And way back when, those bolts would loosen up ...... I would re-tighten ..... they would loosen ..... they refused to stay tight for long.

These days I bought a slightly longer bolt and use both a lock washer + lots of blue LocTite, and I still climb under there on a regular basis and check for tightness.  

And being slightly paranoid at times, I bought 2 extra bolts + lock washers and carry them in the car everywhere I go.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

2 hours ago, NYNick said:

noticed the stick shift went too far forward to shift into first or third. So far in fact, you would mash your knuckles into the radio.

Nick,  more than likely the shift lever (the part the shift knob screws onto) is installed 180 degrees backward.  

see this... 

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

The spring clip that captures the washer that sits on top of the spring is missing.  The washer, shown on the top of the spring, captures the spring in a compressed state on top of the ball. The spring clip, looks to be in the picture as well, fits in a groove machined around the inner circumference of the shifter platform well on top of the washer thus capturing the spring compressing the ball into the nylon cups.  Make sense?  Look at the real OEM for a graphic of the correct order of assembly. 

Edited by Emyers

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Well, that's certainly a poster child for deferred maintenance.

Bushings all around, a clip, and off you go.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL