• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ding ding ding.

Location? Color? Options? Pictures?

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

It is Sienabraun now painted silver. Someday like to put it back to original paint color. It has an '02 block with an e21 head. And a 123/ignition. Don't know much about the early history Nevada DMV was not helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502

8 hours ago, Conserv said:

So...what have you got under the hood?

I am not 100% sure, Steve.  When I got the car it was already cannibalized with a E30 FI no emissions stuff.  Now it sports the M42 with even less emissions stuff :-)

When I was naive and trying to get it smogged before the swap, I could not find any history on which version it was, as the sicker was completely faded.  I believe there were 2 types of stickers, but I could not read anything on it at all.  

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

1 hour ago, tashakes said:

I am not 100% sure, Steve.  When I got the car it was already cannibalized with a E30 FI no emissions stuff.  Now it sports the M42 with even less emissions stuff :-)

When I was naive and trying to get it smogged before the swap, I could not find any history on which version it was, as the sicker was completely faded.  I believe there were 2 types of stickers, but I could not read anything on it at all.  

Hmm...you're making it tough!

Does the car have a two-part speedometer cable with a mileage counter box on the firewall to signal when the thermactor reactor needs service?  If so, and it's a '76 model -- it is -- it's most likely a CA version (although c.diesel said he had seen '76 49-state versions with the mileage counter, despite there being no need for it, and I don't doubt him).

Does the car have its original diff?  If so, the '76 49-state versions received 3.90 diffs while the California versions received 3.64 diffs.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ha - mine is 699 cars away from the last 2002 Automatic.  Originally Polaris.  Now neither.

"...manufactured on May 11th, 1976 and delivered on July 28th, 1976 to BMW of North America." So built earlier yet delivered much later... 

Tom

Edited by visionaut
added dates

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Hmm...you're making it tough!

Does the car have a two-part speedometer cable with a mileage counter box on the firewall to signal when the thermactor reactor needs service?  If so, and it's a '76 model -- it is -- it's most likely a CA version (although c.diesel said he had seen '76 49-state versions with the mileage counter, despite there being no need for it, and I don't doubt him).

Does the car have its original diff?  If so, the '76 49-state versions received 3.90 diffs while the California versions received 3.64 diffs.

Regards,

Steve

There,  that's it.  I have a 3.64 and a split speedo cable with the reset box.  So most likely an original CA car.  Thanks!

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

I have CA emissions 1976 automatic 2392721 still in original paint.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Color, location, options?

Send an email with your VIN to

grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

and they will tell you the day it was built.

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

6 hours ago, tashakes said:

There,  that's it.  I have a 3.64 and a split speedo cable with the reset box.  So most likely an original CA car.  Thanks!

Whew!  Just in time, as I was all out of ammo!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 LIST PRICES

The 5 window stickers I posted -- posted again below -- represent 1976 models of the following manufacturing dates:

2390376 - October 1975

2740657 - March 1976

2742541 - April 23, 1976 (mine)

2742542 - April 23, 1976 (gone: found the sticker and bought it because it was so close to mine)

2744098 - June 1976

If I rely SOLELY on these 5 window stickers, here is 1976 U.S. model pricing:

BASE CAR

List price - $6,670 early; $6,975 in March 1976; $6,875 April through June 1976

Dealer prep - $150

Excise tax on tires and tubes - $9.75

OPTIONS

Metallic paint - $244

Automatic transmission - $285

Steel Sliding Roof, Manual - $276

Lower Front Seats (came with sunroof-equipped cars, beginning sometime in 1975) - $12

And that's pretty much it for 1976 U.S. models, all of which were ordered and imported by BMW North America (BMW NA).  I wonder if the $100 higher price for the March car could be for California emissions.  And yes, a handful of electric-powered sunroofs found their way here.  If you know their original price, please jump in.  Most importantly, now you you can build your very own U.S. 1976!

Air conditioning and radio/stereo were dealer-installed, and dealer-priced.  Prices were all over the charts, depending on what you ordered and who you ordered it from.  My recollection was that dealer-installed Behr air conditioning was priced in the $675 to $900 range, depending on the dealer.  This was an outrageous price for mediocre air conditioning -- I'm not referring to the Behr brand, I'm referring to ALL '02 air conditioning -- at a time when effective air conditioning in a Big Three U.S.-manufactured car was a $400-$450 option.

These 5 stickers could be mined for more information -- the type that makes a nutty collector say "ah, interesting," rather than "wow, that's shocking" -- e.g., notice how the leatherette interior is first referred to as "SKAI", later as "LEATHERETTE UPHOLSTERY", and still later as "LEATHERETTE UPHOLSTERY-NYLON".  Or is "LEATHERETTE UPHOLSTERY-NYLON" the later name for the cloth-centered seats referred to for VIN 2742542 as "CORDUROY/LEATHERETTE UPHOLSTERY"?  Who knows?

And don't get me started on those "LOWER FRONT SEATS", which my '76's dealer swiped from a brand new Chamonix sunroof car to give my non-sunroof Polaris car the additional inch of headroom I needed to make the purchase!  Do you think he told the Chamonix car's buyer that it didn't have the lowered seats listed on IT'S window sticker?  Hmmm...

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

My 2392721 auto has a production date sticker showing 5/76 on the inside of the driver door.  Paint is sahara.  I purchased from the 2nd owner who just stored it.  Title was in original owners name.  I called him up and he had nothing but good things to say about the car.  Always CA until I transported to WA last year.

2002 1.jpg

2002 2.jpg

door jamb.jpg

Edited by Vintagedavid

My 2392721 auto has a production date sticker showing 5/76 on the inside of the driver door.  Paint is sahara.  I purchased from the 2nd owner who just stored it.  Title was in original owners name.  I called him up and he had nothing but good things to say about the car.  Always CA until I transported to WA last year.

2002 1.jpg

2002 2.jpg

door jamb.jpg

What a beautiful car!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502