• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is in your roadside emergency kit?

I have been doing my spring refresh of my emergency home supplies. (I live in quake country) and it struck me that I need to add some E-kits to my autos. 

I am thinking more items needed for common roadside/breakdown emergencies particular to our '02's.  (Not the survival kit : three day supply of water, blankets etc.) I carry that anyway.. 

What do you carry in your '02? 

Extra distributor? Belts? Duct tape? Fire extinguisher? A map (that you can secretly check when your wife is giving you crap about being lost and your GPS is unavailable)....

We could possibly compile a list of common items and build a kit that everyone should think about carrying with them. 

Cheers. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

1 hour ago, burndog said:

AAA card, camping chair and a 6 pack!

You forgot an umbrella, sunglasses and a sign that says "Anything Helps"...

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

1/4" drive socket kit (sizes 6-13mm)

wrenches: 6,7,8,10,12,13,14,15,16,17,19

hex bits (allen sockets) 5mm, 6mm

screwdrivers

bulbs, fuses, ignition points, cap, rotor, Kugelfischer belt, spare injector pipes

adjustable wrench

misc nuts and bolts and washers

feeler gauges, zip ties, razor blade, electrical tape

See photo: All fits in a shoebox sized container. Because lugging around 200lbs of spare filthy junk in the back,  ruins the romance of road trips in old cars, for me. :)

tool kit copy.jpeg

Edited by wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

A fairly large fire extinguisher, two extra fuses of each type, and some basic tools. I don't believe in trying to guess what will fail- I would never guess right. Plus, this approach is an incentive to keep maintenance up to date.

- Justin

1973 2002tii

The toolbox is where truth and contentment lie... -James May

My 2002 has stranded me only once in the 39 years I've owned it. A wheel bearing siezed and I seriously doubt I would have had adequate tools for the road side repair even if I carried a kit. This happened before cell phones and the emergency bottle of Crown certainly came in handy while we waited for a good Samaritan to come along.

I too carry a spare distributor (IE tii electronics failed, but only a block from the house)

A set of open end box end metric wrenches, my first 3/8 metric set of sockets, a PicQuic screwdriver*, folding allan wrenches, random fuses, a probe style multi meter and my GC adjustment tools.

I have a section of fuel line, some clamps, and a chunk of brake line with beaded ends in case a fuel line gets cut.

And since my tii AFR isn't quite perfect, a 10mm wrench, 8mm nut driver and a SnapOn itty bitty orange straight blade screwdriver in the console.

*A Canadian company that made a pretty good multi bit screw driver.  http://www.picquic.com/

6 hours ago, wegweiser said:

1/4" drive socket kit (sizes 6-13mm)

wrenches: 6,7,8,10,12,13,14,15,16,17,19

hex bits (allen sockets) 5mm, 6mm

screwdrivers

bulbs, fuses, ignition points, cap, rotor, Kugelfischer belt, spare injector pipes

adjustable wrench

misc nuts and bolts and washers

feeler gauges, zip ties, razor blade, electrical tape

See photo: All fits in a shoebox sized container. Because lugging around 200lbs of spare filthy junk in the back,  ruins the romance of road trips in old cars, for me. :)

tool kit copy.jpeg

And the winner is ......

Wait a moment before giving out the prizes. I need to participate this :)

The pictures have been seen before in by project blog.

Tool rolls, mechanical and electrical are always in the spare tire well.

P2220011.jpg

P2220012.jpg

Then for extended trips I carry something more e.g. spare megasquirt box plug and play and ignition module etc.

Also laptop for troubleshooting MS goes in the same briefcase with this stuff.

PC220005.jpg

PC220006.jpg

I hope I never need this stuff of course but better be prepared. No help expected from shops with all homemade stuff like Mega etc.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!