• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Generous 'Bystander'

Yesterday I had a guy follow me into a parking lot and roll down his window as I got out of my car.  I figured it was just somebody else asking if I wanted to sell it and was not looking forward to telling him no.  

As it turned out, he said he has an early seventies BMW shop manual, which he would be happy to pass along to me if I would use it, since he no longer has a car to go with it!

I asked whether it had a blue cover and when he said yes, I told him those were Precious and I would definitely use it.  He picked up on my enthusiasm and it was cool to see his reaction.  He gave me his contact information and I am looking forward to meeting with him to pick it up.  

His generosity, as well as the perfect timing which allowed for it, sort of blew me away... and I was already having a good day : )

• Like 3

Well, I went to meet Ray today and he gave me the Big Blue Repair Manual, as well as a Clymer and Haynes manual.  

It was fun to hear his stories about working in Germany in the sixties and see all the BMW memorabilia he collected back in the day.  He bought one of the first 2002s, back in 1968, while still in Germany and had it shipped back, when he returned to the states.  Unfortunately, he no longer owns it, but he sure had a lot of good things to say about that car/engine.

I already have a Haynes manual, so if anyone is in need, send me a PM and I will mail one to you.

It's always nice to hear stories like this.

From my first '02 in '72, I've found that '02 owners love to share their experiences.

And to this day, it continues. So much fun...

-Bob

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

On April 10, 2016 at 7:40 AM, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

Yesterday I had a guy follow me into a parking lot and roll down his window as I got out of my car.  I figured it was just somebody else asking if I wanted to sell it and was not looking forward to telling him no.  

As it turned out, he said he has an early seventies BMW shop manual, which he would be happy to pass along to me if I would use it, since he no longer has a car to go with it!

I asked whether it had a blue cover and when he said yes, I told him those were Precious and I would definitely use it.  He picked up on my enthusiasm and it was cool to see his reaction.  He gave me his contact information and I am looking forward to meeting with him to pick it up.  

His generosity, as well as the perfect timing which allowed for it, sort of blew me away... and I was already having a good day : )

That's a great story.

13 years ago I was working as a FF in a Bay Area city, was doing an inspection on a building and there was a stunning 73 tii parked in front of the building that I was inspecting. Having attended the West Coast 02 Fest (shout out to Rob Torres @ 2002haus) I left my card on the windshield saying how nice his tii was. I had forgotten about it until 3 months later he called me, thanking me......and BTW, he had 4 rims and tires that the local tire shop was storing for him....he no longer needed them.....they were mine if I could use them. Well, I did go to that tire shop, and they (gladly!) handed me 4 Hartge wheels with Michelin Pilots mounted on them.....WOW!

A year later this kind individual left at the fire station a spare Hartge mag (new in the box) as a spare.

We have remained good friends.

• Like 1

75 2002 (atlantik) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - present

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
12 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

Oregon plates on the car in the brochure. my year and color.

Just to be clear, the brochure with the Sienabraun '02 on the cover is the 1975-76 brochure.  There are at least 5 ever-so-slightly different versions of it, each version is dated at the bottom of the Technical Data page.  But...(a.) the earliest version of the brochure is dated August 1974, and (b.) all the photos but for a single 1976 engine photo appear to have been taken by that date.  The August 1974 date of the earliest version anticipated the September 1974 introduction of the 1975 models.

Because the photos were taken on or before August 1974, you'll see that the rear seat shown is a 1974-style seat, although the front seats shown are, indeed, of the 1975-76 style.  The exterior mirrors are strictly trapezoid mirrors.  The flag mirror was introduced in late 1974, after the 1975 models were introduced, and after the photography for these brochures was done.

The brochure version above might be the January 1976 ("1/76") version, as it: (a.) shows a 1976 49-state engine with aluminum exhaust manifold heat shield, (b.) refers to the "Thermal Reactor on California version", (c.) refers to the 3.90 differential on 49-state versions, and (d.) is stamped by BMW NA, which assumed the role of sole U.S. importer in late 1974 or very early 1975.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

9 minutes ago, joebarthlow said:

Oddly that is not a real Oregon license plate. the typography is off.

@Conserv is it sienabraun or siennabraun? I've seen both

No shocker, Joe.  I would guess the plate was airbrushed onto the photo.

The color was named for Siena, Italy, which is largely constructed of brown-red brick.  BMW only spells it Sienabraun, but many U.S. owners spell it Siennabraun because they believe the color was named for my Toyota minivan!  ?

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

thanks Steve. I was hoping it was Siena as some of the other color names are based on cities. I was just in Tuscany in June and love many things Italian. When looking around, I did find a German village named Sienna.

Unfortunately, all my original labels in the engine bay are long gone and I have not checked with BMW regarding my VIN and build date yet, but I do have some Sienabraun in the engine bay and the seller confirmed to me elsewhere. I am unsure whether I go back to that color. I'm focusing on restoring the interior back to original tan in the meantime.

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)