• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On April 4, 2015, I bought a 1975 2002. I left it in Washington for two months to have some work done to address safety and reliability concerns. 

1975 Schwarz BMW 2002 2.jpg

The photo above is from the Craigslist ad. I received incredible help from folks on 2002faq before buying the car as chronicled here:

I picked up the car in early June and the photo below is the last set of directions I received before I took possession of the car to drive from West Seattle to northern California.

P1080035.JPG

Had a beautiful drive back. Once in northern California it was two months of additional work to make the car's interior comfortable. Here's before:

P1080135.JPG

And after:

P1080457.JPG

Of course, I also added a two core radiator, a 90 amp alternator, added working turn signals, new windshield washing components including new nozzles, hoses, motor, wiper blades, and reservoir. The list is long.

On the morning of July 28th, I kissed my wife and took a drive. After all, what's the fun of just working on a car and not driving it. Thirteen hours and 825 miles later, I entered Wyoming.

P1080475.JPG

The next day I left Caspar, Wyoming, where I discovered that mobile phone reception was virtually non-existent. Fortunately, the car was running strong. Public radio reception through all of the western states was clear and strong, too. The countryside was beautiful even with the occasional oil wells. Life is good.

P1080497.JPG

In South Dakota I met quite a few people on their motorcycles headed to or coming from the Sturgis motorcycle rally. One million adventurers I was told. Out of uniform professionals and assorted free spirits. The Schwarz 02 was in good company with the bikers. I spent a night in Excelsior, Minnesota, and it was on to Chicago.

P1080798.JPG

There are lots of things to do in Chicago so, between flights back to Sacramento, I stayed a while. And ventured out to places like the Chicago 02 Group's drive to the Route 66 museum.

P1080809.JPG

P1080838.JPG

And here's the original Route 66:

P1080830.JPG

Of course, Detroit isn't far away and I always wanted to sing in the original Motown studios and spend time at Ford Headquarters and the Rouge plant.

P1090001.JPG

Then back to Chicago and its many attractions.

BMW Collection.jpg

Leaving Chicago was hard, but there were still places to go, like the Dragon's Tail and the TVA.

P1090310.JPG

The water was cold and fast.

P1090320.JPG

Better head south to warmer weather.

P1090367.JPG

Had some very good meals in Florida and then it was on to New Orleans for some huge ass beers.

P1090393.JPG

And some relaxation.

P1090386.JPG

Then onto...yes, Arizona.

P1090490.JPG

And the Grand Canyon.

P1090523.JPG

Finally, back home via San Francisco.

P1090784.JPG

A great trip. Ten thousand miles on the car. A couple of hiccups along the way. Replaced the electric choke hoping for a less aggressive idle. The car likes the aggressive idle and is back to it, however. A disconnected wire to the starter forced a few push starts until the problem was diagnosed. Most seriously, a leaking clutch slave cylinder kept me in Flagstaff an additional day. Flagstaff! I can't get enough of that place.

That was my drive and today I celebrate one year with the Schwarz.

7 hours ago, Tommy said:

Quite a trip! 10 000 miles - In how many days?

Tommy

Hi Tommy...I returned to the Sacramento area on about January 14. I visited friends and family along the way and flew back to Sacramento several times to take care of business. If I was in a rush I would still plan on about 14 days for this trip since there is so much to do and see along the way. I plan to take another such trip perhaps as soon as next year although it will be to northern States. I've never been to Maine or Vermont. The previous owner told me he has made the coast to coast trip without stopping to sleep. I think it took him just over two days. I don't think he took that trip in the 02 and he was in the military at the time.

Now THAT'S a drive worthy of a long post! Well done hyngree. Hats off to your wife for standing behind you and your passion.

(you had me going there for a second when you said, "kissed my wife good bye................." almost thought your next line would be "and never looked back")

j

1975 - modified - the "silver back"

@https://twitter.com/jangelurbano

Now your next trip should be to Mid America (coming up later this month) in Eureka Springs AR and/or Vintage, in Asheville NC in late May.  Great adventure and super pictures.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite