• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "real" M2 vs. the new M2

Rick74

Thought I would share my M2 experience.

I had the pleasure of doing the 1 day M-school at the Thermal Club in Palm Desert this past weekend.  It was a birthday gift that I did with my 75 year old dad.  We got to beat on M4's, M3's, and of course the new M2's.  There were 3 groups of 5 drivers (each driver gets a car, no sharing) and we would rotate between exercises.  Wet skid pad, the proper line through a turn, 2 sets of lapping on a large autocross-like track, a timed autocross, and a rat race on the wet skid pad where you start opposite another driver and try to catch him.  The wet skid pad was really fun and very tricky.  It is polished concrete with water sprayers and it is super slick.   The day finished with 4 instructors loading the students into M3's and drifting the entire course all bunched together.  Not a big fan of drifting but damn it was fun!

I love tracking my "real" M2, but making lap after lap in the new M2 (with AC blasting) was really fun.   Tons of power, huge brakes, double clutch tranny, and lots of rubber!  The M2 was especially tossable vs the 3&4.  The school is a little pricey, but I would highly recommend it...plus you get a discount if you are a Bmwcca member.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I like it, it's smallish compared to the more recent offerings and looks more like a sporty car.  But it's still a bit too pricey and heavy for my tastes.  However, I am thinking of ordering the "M2" trunk lid badge for my 1976 M2!

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

I did the 2 day M school at Spartanburg.  Was definitely fun and BMW made sure it was one of the best experiences of your life.  We had M6's, M5's and M4's to play with.  The M2 wasnt out yet. The M5 was the best handling out of the bunch.  I was surprised.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

17 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I did the 2 day M school at Spartanburg.  Was definitely fun and BMW made sure it was one of the best experiences of your life.  We had M6's, M5's and M4's to play with.  The M2 wasnt out yet. The M5 was the best handling out of the bunch.  I was surprised.

Do you think they purposefully did this?  Seems like a built-in driving characteristic....  It also seems sports cars today are heavy & cumbersome.....its some sort of competition I am not familiar with ^_^....But if you can escape the jaws of mediocrity there are plenty of aftermarket shops more than willing to help out.

I personally like the 2 series size, but they botched the rear-end (too wide & hence flat looking).  Normal aspiration would have been perfect, the turbo is not an engine I secretly lust after.

My .02 cents

-Mo

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

I ordered one with 6MT.  Needed a new fun daily driver. It's about the same weight as an E46 M3.  Agree NA would be nice but it's going away, which makes our 02's even more special. 

70 M2 2.5L 

My 2005 M School experience (SC) was my first so I didn't really have much to compare it to. 

I will never forget it.

E46 M3 with Competition package (CF Brakes, 19" wheels) both SMG and 6 speed cars

E39 M5 "the beast"

Driving at both the Performance Center and the Michelin Tire Test track were amazing.  Great instructors, great accommodations, great food, great people.

Being a "newb" to the E46 when I first got in the M3 I didn't know how to adjust the the side mirrors. 

By the end of the 1st day, all (12) M3's had worn out the Continental tires.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

7 minutes ago, mlytle said:

LOL...that is not a positive comment.  the E46 M3 is a tank.....

It's a street car for me, I had an E46 M3 new and it was a great street car.  On the track, yes for sure a tank, but I would love an S54 for my E36 M3 race car :D

70 M2 2.5L 

To those who haven't seen the M2 (myself included), one might reserve judgment about the design until seeing one in person. Pictures and even moving footage often don't do a car justice. I have a feeling that this car is going to show pretty awesome to the eye, even though it does appear that "baby got back." But so did the 930 Turbo and the M-Coupe, two of my faves!

As far as the weight goes, I personally don't see it as such an issue for a street car (although I too would be more giddy about the car if it was 3-500 lbs lighter)...and by the way, as much as I appreciate the power-to-weight of my M2, recognize that there is no shortage of legendary, fat-pig race cars in the winner's circle annals of Motorsport...including the E46 M3.

Bottom line, I think I need to get me one! I'm thinking strippie with no infotainment system and a grippy cloth interior if its available...Maybe even sunroof delete...

COOP 

8 hours ago, COOP said:

To those who haven't seen the M2 (myself included), one might reserve judgment about the design until seeing one in person. Pictures and even moving footage often don't do a car justice. I have a feeling that this car is going to show pretty awesome to the eye, even though it does appear that "baby got back." But so did the 930 Turbo and the M-Coupe, two of my faves!

As far as the weight goes, I personally don't see it as such an issue for a street car (although I too would be more giddy about the car if it was 3-500 lbs lighter)...and by the way, as much as I appreciate the power-to-weight of my M2, recognize that there is no shortage of legendary, fat-pig race cars in the winner's circle annals of Motorsport...including the E46 M3.

Bottom line, I think I need to get me one! I'm thinking strippie with no infotainment system and a grippy cloth interior if its available...Maybe even sunroof delete...

COOP 

I like the new M2 as well. It would be a great compliment to your original M2.

The builder is up and running now on the BMW website and there are surprisingly few options, so unlike most BMWs, the entry price is pretty close to the MSRP of the one you'd actually want to take home. An M235i equipped the way I'd want was only $2-3k less than an M2. Not sure how differently they drive, but at that small of a delta, it seems like an easy choice to take the upgrade. 

The 228i on the other hand seems like a great value in comparison. That turbo 4 in a 4series was pretty punchy when I drove it, so I'd imagine it's pretty nice in a lighter 228. I suspect 228i MSport vs M2 would be a pretty tough decision in price vs performance. I'll drive both (along with a bunch of other cars) next time I'm in the new car market.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

27 minutes ago, Harv said:

I dont think you can get that turbo 4 with a stick. Sad. 

John

You can, or at least it's available as a $0 cost option on the builder. I'm sure you'd never find one in dealer stock though. I guess that just means I'd have to do European delivery. 

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Here is an article I found today on my flight. Gives a quick nod to the 2002 as the savior of BMW. States that the M2 is a return to BMW's roots. Then contradicts himself a bit as he goes on about the technical gizmos on the M2.

http://www.paradigmcg.com/digitaleditions/abm-0416/html5/index.html?page=1&server=

Sorry I can't get a link directly to the page.  Article begins on page 184

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

You're right Bento, almost everything is standard! That's too bad in a way...In the spirit of our minimalist 02s, I'd love to get one stripped-out with cloth, Motorsport-motif seats (think E36 M3 Lightweight) and can the infotainment and surround sound while you're at it!

I wonder what's possible if one were to go through BMW Individual? It would be worth the weight (get it?) to have one devoid of the maximum of gizmos possible. I'd also like a different color as there are only 4 offered...

COOP

Edited by COOP