• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002Tii on Ebay (white)

james43

NMNA.  I had a passing interest but that interest passed.

I believe this car was originally listed at BimmersRUS in St Louis before being sold to MotoExotica.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-2002-Tii-/231851091125?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35fb66e4b5:g:DB0AAOSwQYZWx4AY&item=231851091125

https://www.instagram.com/bimmersrus/

Edited by james43

It's doing quite well thus far in the eBay listing if $24K = quite well.

I was not particularly impressed with the car, but then, I rarely am impressed with quickie re-do's.

VIN 2760770 should be a late January or early February 1972 car. No firewall notch, originally equipped with plastic intake runners.

It's currently not an '02 color -- much too bright to be Chamonix. The underhood paint sticker says Alpine White -- a post-'02 color -- and that might be accurate. My first inclination was to say it has been color changed -- beyond merely Chamonix to bright white -- simply because the underside is entirely painted and there is no trace of a navy blue interior that would have, no doubt, accompanied a Chamonix car from the factory. But...there is white paint under the bright white in the engine compartment, near the window washer reservoir, so perhaps it was a Chamonix car.

And...given that a.) the door cards are saddle in the exterior photographs but black in the interior photographs, b.) the front seat covers, with only 10, not the factory 12, pleats cross their faces, are replacements (perhaps 25-year-old replacements, but replacements, e.g., World Upholstery, nonetheless), c.) the rear seat covers, with only 30, not the factory 36, pleats across its face, is a replacement, and d.) the carpets, neither brown nor salt-and-pepper, are original in neither color nor texture, I'd say the current interior reflects very little of the car's original interior. BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) will clarify the original exterior color easily, and that will largely clarify the possible original interior colors.

I'd double check the engine number. First, just cuz I like to check engine numbers. Second, because I see aluminum intake runners and a 1974-only accumulator (plenum) on the engine -- truly no big deal in itself, but possibly indicative of an engine swap.

Most sellers lead off with their strongest point. If the strongest point for this car is that it was owned continuously by a single owner FOR 7 YEARS, I'd be slightly suspect of the car's strengths!

With all of that said, it's a 1972 tii. And anything -- except for a missing original engine -- can be remedied fairly easily! Prices are going to continue to rise. Just know what you're buying before you buy it. Did I say PPI, by someone who knows '02's? Well, that should go without saying....

Regards,

Steve

EDIT: They've now taken down most of the high-angle exterior photos, which clearly showed saddle door cards in all four corners.

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Was on Ebay 7 years ago. The Seller stated the original colour was Verona.Pics from 2009.attachicon.gif2760770 1a.jpgattachicon.gif2760770 1b.jpgattachicon.gif2760770 1f.jpg

You KNOW how much I love this stuff, Les!

Verona might explain why the seats, although recovered at some point, were recovered in black. But there are those saddle door cards from who knows where. So now I'll bet the underlying white I see in the present eBay listing is the first re-painting in white and the current white sits on top of that. So much for the seller's "rare color combination of white with black interior"!

'73-model front bumper guards and incorrect "shallow" right front grille (correct "deep" left front grille) already present in 2009. Like at least 99% of 40-year-old cars, this one has seen lots of changes over its life.

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Steve, Ray and Les,

You guys kill me! :) The amount of '02 knowledge you have is incredible, to say the least.

Steve, I especially like your attention to detail and your well written comments.

All of you guys commenting on these cars has turned into a kind of Sudoku-style mental exercise for me.

When I see your names on a thread about a car for sale and I see more than a few sentences, I go directly to any photos and 

try to find all the peculiarities for the car in question. As time has gone on I have gotten better at finding at least 50-60% of the differences

and it keeps improving!(Didn't catch the door card thing until I looked at the actual photos on the ebay page..)

Who knew? Bmw2002faq can improve chances of fending off Alzheimer's!!! :lol:  Uh, well, maybe....

Thanks again for all of you helpful information.

Philip

Steve, Ray and Les,

You guys kill me! :) The amount of '02 knowledge you have is incredible, to say the least.

Steve, I especially like your attention to detail and your well written comments.

All of you guys commenting on these cars has turned into a kind of Sudoku-style mental exercise for me.

When I see your names on a thread about a car for sale and I see more than a few sentences, I go directly to any photos and 

try to find all the peculiarities for the car in question. As time has gone on I have gotten better at finding at least 50-60% of the differences

and it keeps improving!(Didn't catch the door card thing until I looked at the actual photos on the ebay page..)

Who knew? Bmw2002faq can improve chances of fending off Alzheimer's!!! :lol:  Uh, well, maybe....

Thanks again for all of you helpful information.

Philip

Ha, ha, ha, ha Was not sure it posted, so "clicked" again and now it doubled!! I know I can edit this, but for irony sake, I am leaving it!!!

Edited by Bublinki

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

From the BMW Achives.... 

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2760770 was manufactured on January 24th, 1972 and delivered on February 09th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021.

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

You missed the rusty heater control plates. And the painted pedal box linkage missing the pads. ;-)

Cheers,

Finally! I got you... :o

Those are not rusty, it's the super rare and unique BMW wood grain faux-finish used on a limited number of Tii's. ;) . Seriously, look closely!! 

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip

Finally! I got you... :o

Those are not rusty, it's the super rare and unique BMW wood grain faux-finish used on a limited number of Tii's. ;) . Seriously, look closely!! 

My eyes! They're failing me in my old age! :P

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

From the BMW Achives.... 

The [/size]BMW[/size] 2002 tii US VIN 2760770 was manufactured on January 24th, 1972 and delivered on February 09th, 1972 to the [/size]BMW[/size] importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021.[/size]

Thank you, Lisa!

Malaga. So THAT's where the saddle door cards originated! So, then, who ordered black covers for the seats, or did the seats come out of another car?

Thanks and regards,

Steve