• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift pattern transfers

Stan

okay, I could not resist taking some photos.

There is a small bit of distortion, so the vertical lines converge at the top.

What is interesting is that the camera gives a close up of the lettering and you can see extra white in the corners.

Does this imply that the original pattern was painted on?

It looks like paint...

Maybe these will be helpful, maybe not.

If the five speed pattern is the same, but with an extra L up to a 5, that might be a fun option to offer, for those who have done the five speed conversion and still have the four speed pattern.

They could just add the L & 5 to the original.

005_zpshyd26mzv.jpg

006_zpsrdabwu6q.jpg

MikeD- Thanks for the feedback, I am trying to make these as a point of reference for restoration & preservation of our cars hence why I would like images (to be as original as possible)

Mintgrun- Thank you once again, I think there will be a free decal for you sometime in the future (looks like you have the shift + letters already....we will likely talk via pm..)

Paul- I would really appreciate an accurate point-of-reference, I recall some of the finer details when I removed my dash, but a jog of memory would be nice.  You may have luck removing the knobs & shooting a quick pic.....

I will also extend the free decal offer to you or anyone who can get clear pics of the lettering....after all we are all united by a common bond....

I am sure there are some knowledgeable folks regarding paint(s), but I will make sure there is a viable option before making the decals.

The patterns should really be painted on as temperature changes, cleaning, & longevity will be compromised for a plain decal particularly on a semi-rough plastic finish vs smooth metal surface for instance.

Thanks all for your interest & assistance,

Mo

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your accurate description + pictures, a free set of lettering decals will find it your way soon....

I will be working on this the next week or so & they should come together nicely.

I have one question however, how much interest in the dash lettering? I will make the lettering as a stencil only and would like to know how many sets to make....

The paint can be an oil or enamel type & testors or tamiya hobby paint should be fine + I would suggest a clear coat.

Once I make the decals/stencils, that will be it (no reproductions) so an accurate estimate would be helpful.....should I make 5 or 50 of the lettering stencils is the questions....

Thanks,

Mo

I will re-iterate that my dash is cracked and is being replaced with a 72 dash. The pre-73 2pc dash does not have the dash lettering so I will be adding it.

Not sure how many folks are in my position or have damaged lettering. I guess your survey will tell the story.

Good luck.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

5 speed stencil is my vote. I would also like the air conditioning lettering. I will post Behr images.

I think it would be ideal to include one of each decal for the owner to choose, but I am not sure if that is a financially viable option. 

Post pics here or send them to me via pm will work just fine.

Regards,

Mo Faraz

I think it would be ideal to include one of each decal for the owner to choose, but I am not sure if that is a financially viable option.

Absolutely. It probably makes the most sense for stickers. Creating a stencil may be more expensive, but I'm willing to pay for a quality tool to apply white paint at least as good as the original (which really isn't that good).

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your accurate description + pictures, a free set of lettering decals will find it your way soon....

I will be working on this the next week or so & they should come together nicely.

I have one question however, how much interest in the dash lettering? I will make the lettering as a stencil only and would like to know how many sets to make....

The paint can be an oil or enamel type & testors or tamiya hobby paint should be fine + I would suggest a clear coat.

Once I make the decals/stencils, that will be it (no reproductions) so an accurate estimate would be helpful.....should I make 5 or 50 of the lettering stencils is the questions....

Thanks,

Mo

Mo, please count me in as interested in the dash decals or stencils for my '72 tii.

Edited by Bauch

1972 2002tii VIN 2761819

I have a shift pattern decal in my E9 showing the shift patter and a set of numerals up the side.  I do not like it because I can see the decal itself.  I found a guy who will make a transfer so that the only thing visible after the transfer will be the white shift pattern and gear numbers (plus R)

I can get these in 4 speed, 5 speed and dog leg.  I need to commit to 100 to get reasonable prices so, is there any interest here at $15.00 each ??

Attachment-1_zpsdglf9nxh.jpeg

Stan, please count me in for one of each of the above shift patterns.  Thanks!

1972 2002tii VIN 2761819

Hi Paul,

Thanks,

Mo

Mo, I will absolutely take a set of stencils for the dash lettering: identical to those that Paul W. showed on his '73.

I'm aware of at least three dash lettering configurations, which obviously makes your job harder, and obtaining a "quorum" more difficult. 1.) Dash lettering prior to sometime in '72 (?April-ish?) when BMW moved the heater fan switch from next to the instrument cluster down to the slide controls, was identical to Paul's car except the lower left control operated the blower fan rather than the rear defroster; 2.) "Paul's style," which existed from the time the blower fan switch was moved to the slide controls (?April-ish 1972?) through the end of the round taillight cars, July 1993; and 3.) square taillight cars (the rear defroster control moved from the lower left to the lower right position, a front fog light control appeared at the lower left position, and the font may be slightly different).

I would also take a set of square taillight stencils, for future use on my '76, if you need an additional commitment for a quorum of the square taillight stencils.

Obviously, the original dashes, none of which has been made in years -- and may never again be supplied by BMW -- are not improving with age. As the cars become more collectible, more owners will be either a.) having their dashes re-done by Just Dashes and its competitors, or b.) finding NOS "Euro dashes," the un-lettered one-piece replacement dashes available from BMW up to approximately 3 years ago. I suspect many of these owners are not yet focused on the "lettering thing" but will become customers when they realize that the lettering is one of those distinctively U.S.-spec features.

Thanks for doing this.

I don't know if I need to reply to you or Stan that I'm also a customer for two 4-speed transfers and one dogleg 5-speed transfers if the shift patterns will be done as transfers versus stencils. If the shift patterns wind up as stencils, then I just need one 4-speed and one dogleg 5-speed stencil.

Thanks to you and Stan for your work on this issue!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)