• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 GQ Article

stupidfast31

It's always nice to see our beloved '02s getting the press that they deserve...However, this grammatically clumsy and cliche-ridden sentence (and much of article for that matter) annoys me coming from a professional journalist:

"The 2002 harkens back to the time when the Bavarians were plucky underdogs, before the marque became famous, and every mid-level pencil pusher barreled down the turnpike in their M3s."

-"A" time would read better than "the" time.
-The Bavarians were "underdogs?"
-The marque wasn't previously "famous?"
-No comma needed after "famous."
-"Pencil pushers" in M3s...what a worn-out 80's stereotype. Ugh.
-If you're going to use it, at least hyphenate "pencil-pusher."
-Why is it "their M3s" (plural) when "pencil pusher" is singular?

Sorry if I'm being a pompous stickler...I guess I just hold the pros to a higher standard. And please, enough with the David E. Davis quotes in current 2002 articles...has that become some sort of a journalistic requirement now?!

COOP

Edited by COOP

Under appreciated, pfft? They are greatly appreciated. BMW sold huge numbers of them from '68 to '76 if you count the 1600-2s and other engine trims they go back to 1966. Put BMW on the map in the untapped US market.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40