• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help me value my car - '73 2002

AdamJ

So after several years of ownership, I've decided to sell my '02. It turns out I preferred turning a wrench to actually driving the thing. I would classify the car as a good driver. Can the collective mind of the FAQ help me put a value to my car? People prefer lists and pictures to long winded paragraphs so I will continue with the following:

The good:

Fairly rust free body

Re-spray of original Malaga by previous owner (not perfect mind you)

e30 bottlecaps with very good tread on tires

84 318i engine with 32/36 Weber carb, Stahl headers

(the electronic ignition was retained with the use of a MSD box)

• all new gaskets and paint on block
  • new clutch
  • rebuilt and painted pedal box at time of replacement
  • electric fuel pump in trunk
  • runs great and has plenty of power
  • The original engine will be included
  • aluminum radiator
  • rebuilt e30 starter and alternator (much better!)

WRX seats - These sit a little high but feel great and work with the existing seat sliders

Wood steering wheel

New front calipers, braided steel lines, and pads

The not-so-good:

Visible rust at driver's side rear quarter (see photos)

Body has slight dings and scratches 

Front end is a little squeaky (could use a going over)

Could use new windshield and rear glass gaskets (not a problem for me so far as it has lived in my garage)

Rear bumper is bent (PO)

So. . given that this car is in New England, what should I ask for this car? I'm not looking to cash in but simply sell it for what it's worth. All feedback will be welcome. If this is the wrong forum to post this in, I apologize in advance. 

Pics: https://goo.gl/photos/scQTke3XgNHTnf2m6

There are some positives that will help the sale of your car and some negatives that will hurt the resale.  Its a last year Roundie... good, it's in New England, not so good.  I would recommend that you jack it up and take lots of pictures of the underside to put potential buyers at ease that this car isn't all rotted out from its life on the east coast.  Still a nice looking car, running, with decent re-paint and non-original interior should fetch somewhere between $6.5K and $8.5K IMHO.  You could always put it on eBay at your minimum with no reserve and let the market decide what it is worth.

Good Luck,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Northeast car, if it has lived it's whole life there, tends to mean rusty. At the same time there are dozens of restored cars and CA cars that have made their way to the Northeast.

Document in photos the suspect areas, A pillars behind the fenders, both frame rails, spare tire well, under hood at trun signals, etc. Be as transparent with your description as possible. Rob Seigel writes the most well documented for sale ads, pointing out all the issues with the car so there are NO surprises.

If you are on Facebook ask about the car here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmw2002us/

Could also go to Lime Rock for Sunday in the Park and the Meeting of the Marques Sept. 6th 2015

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I agree, I'll definitely take better pictures of the underside of the car and other "problem areas" for the potential buyer. Luckily, the car spent a lot of time in storage before I bought it. On the underside there is only a touch of surface rust - something that would appear in any area of the country.  The shock towers are rust free. The only area that's visible is the driver's rear quarter. Rockers are solid. I really appreciate the comments so far. I wish I could make it to Lime Rock on Sunday!

I dunno, I think it might be worthwhile to get rid of those front seats and invest in some original stock examples. It would give the car a lot more "wow" factor" at least in my opinion. The current front seats are turn-off. But that's very subjective stuff, I know.

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

I dunno, I think it might be worthwhile to get rid of those front seats and invest in some original stock examples. It would give the car a lot more "wow" factor" at least in my opinion. The current front seats are turn-off. But that's very subjective stuff, I know.

+1

Kit nailed it: wrong style, wrong color, wrong covering material. Even original front seats with the typical cracks in the seat cushion would be an improvement. The car looks quite intact from the exterior but then you open the door and...

I know, I know, it's a slippery slope and you're ready to move on!

Good luck,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Call SCR in Plainfield CT East outside of Hartford, they may have or know of some proper seats.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40