• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learn From My Mistake: Clean Inside Nose Clip!

Even from washing your car, dirt gets forced into the nose clip and settles under the radiator support. It's a very tight space and if anything larger that dust gets down there it can accumulate and trap moisture. We all know what happens then. RUST. Doesn't matter where you live or if your car lives indoors.

I learned the hard way. I removed at least a half cup of dirt by forcing a rag (attached to clothes hanger wire) through the area. Surface rust was visible in the area that I could see. I even pulled out a small rusty hose clamp and a few washers.

I hadn't cleaned that area in 25 years of owning the car.

My recommendation is: remove your grills and spray water to confirm you have clean flow out the (5) drain holes. If there are any plugged holes or quantities of visible debris, drag a cloth through.

I decided to protect the area with POR 15 and fresh paint throughout the nose. The factory paint job is minimal at best. I also used Eastwood Internal Frame Coating under radiator support. It comes with an nozzle extension tube and conical nozzle that feeds under rad support to spray unseen area. Great product! Check it out.

The worst part of the job...sanding, sanding, and more sanding, in very tight spaces.

post-38825-0-97280200-1430160678_thumb.j

73 Inka Tii #2762958

And...  in the trunk, where the floor meets the rear fender arch.  Same problem, if the sealant has failed. 

And... in the doors, at the bottom, inside.

And... in the rear quarters, from the inside, headed out.  This one is tough, as you really can't get to it very well.

And... in the front fenders, above the turn signals.

And... in the ROOF, if you have a sunroof car and let water get inside and get the floors wet.  Yep, the roof...

And... in the front fenders, at the trailing edge, where the metal's folded over trapping the mounting flange... and water...

And... under the spare tire, where it wears the paint away...

I'm sure there are a lot more.

The nose one's a tough one, though, I agree.  I've fixed it on EVERY nose I've worked on.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

A tip on preventing rust down inside the nose panel...open up the drain holes (visible in the front wheel wells and below the radiator.  The factory sized 'em so that even a small pebble--small enough to get through the grille) will block the drains and allow dirt and water to accumulate.  

A little judicious work with a Dremel tool will enlarge the holes to nickel size, allowing much better drainage.  Don't forget to touch up the raw metal on the enlarged holes with some paint.  And while you have your anti-rust primer out, after you clean out the seam where the nose sheet metal meets the radiator support, liberally paint the seam inside (take the grilles out for access) with your anti rust unguent of choice to prevent further rust.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite