• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel hub adaptor, boss kit, turn signal cancel, indicator cancelling discussion

Jace

Dear FAQ,

I'd like to start a lasting discussion about boss kits, steering hub adaptors, indicator/turn signal cancelling, horn contacts and anything else to do with putting nicer looking steering wheels in our cars.

As you probably know, Nardi/Personal use a 6x74mm PCD, while Momo/Italvolanti/OMP and others use a 6x70mm PCD. For maximum adaptability, a lot of aftermarket hub's are drilled for both PCD's - which is great - but the vast majority of them suck in one way or another, lacking proper horn contacts, indicator cancelling tabs, or both.

12692163184_34fa0c47d3_z.jpg

I have been using a Nardi Classic 390mm for a few years on a Luisi boss kit (model 1502) which was working okay (just okay...) until I pulled it out to modify it and ruined it. This hub included a proper tab for cancelling the indicators, albeit too small a one, until i snapped it off.

I currently have two adaptors, one marked 1501, one marked 1502.

17143790301_99b8b17756_z.jpg

They differ slightly and in a rather annoying way

17143789991_3ce75687c8_z.jpg

17144430125_6d651ba2a7_z.jpg

(On the left is 1502, which used to have a horn tab, which I modified, then dropped and snapped off) :o:(

I wasn't happy with how much rotation I needed to cancel the indicators, so I was widening the tab to hit the cancelling tab earlier. 

11112958_10153178575616897_3173133678721

11149749_10153178575371897_9711539046497

So now I'm facing modifying one of the bosses to include some indicator cancelling posts, which need to be non-conductive or well insulated because of how close they are to the column so that the horn doesn't stay grounded.

Either that, or find a good replacement that will do everything it should properly!

BTW, my car is a RHD '76 and has the indicator stalk on the left

16958234959_b2e9331e70_z.jpg

What boss kits have you had good experiences with? Is there any standard steering wheel parts that can work with any aftermarket adaptors?

Can you easily cancel the indicators by hand, like in a more modern car? My indicator stalk unit doesn't like to be forcibly cancelled at all, and i'm wondering if it's faulty or worn out, of if they're all like that.

Edited by Jace

Watching this thread. I have a German CSS wheel from German eBay that I will need to fit at some point. I will need to either swap the boss out or fabricate the horn ring and cancellation tab.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

where is the original cancel switch arm.

the piece you need is a pressed steel

style washer with a folded over arm

that never need to be removed from the

steering column. sometimes the part

sticks to the original wheel. just pop it

off the wheel and slide it back on the 

shaft. i will post a picture later.

good luck,

stone

stone racing co

phila pa 19123

i managed to get hold of a momo 0155 and its not very good at all, wont fit down the coloumn all the way and the turn signal cancellation tab doenst work and neither does my horn... does nothing it promised apart from allow aftermarket steering wheels to be fitted lol

post-48453-0-34386200-1429013013_thumb.j

I bought my wheel without a boss. I found this one in the classifieds but don't know who made it. I used the cancel switch arm that was with the car but it only some times cancels. After making a turn, I have learned to extend my index finger while turning the wheel back to help cancel the turn signal.

post-41415-0-98977200-1429020710_thumb.j

The problem I have is with the Nardi horn button. It does not seem to sit right in the wheel and sometimes you have to play with it to get the horn to work.

I installed my fair share of MOMO products. I've found that using the 0155 hub on an '02 with the factory canceling tab to work 100% of the time. The horn contacts are also very reliable.

The issue arises when the turn signal stalk isn't adjusted to spec. It's outlined in the blue BMW manual. The steering column is also adjustable and can be the difference between the horn plunger making contact 360* or snapping off the horn contact plunger.

This info also applies to the GENUINE Nardi adapters.

Edited by cj

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Thanks guys. A nice Dutch bloke named Hans from the BMW 2002 Facebook group is sending me one free of charge!  :lol: 

The problem I have is with the Nardi horn button. It does not seem to sit right in the wheel and sometimes you have to play with it to get the horn to work.

I know exactly what you mean, for the price of a Nardi, you'd expect a much better quality and fit horn button wouldn't you?

The wheel on the left is a Eunos Roadster and special edition MX5 fitted wheel, which has a proper horn retaining ring, and the bolt cover ring also has a small recessed flange to better accommodate the horn button.

16969371850_7a2b40957d_z.jpg