• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help! Weber DCOEs Running Rich on Mains. Can't Lean Them Out

Beach_Bum

Nice to hear that you are (nearly) satisfied with turn out result. :D

About bogging, at the same rpm with solex... Do you use the same dizzy as with solex? If so so maybe dizzy is source of problems with surge.
With pump bleed valve is so, 60 is ok, surge might be because you dont use dizzy with vacuum advance, so if you go rich with 55 there might be too much gasoline so some of it is not mixed and late spark might be ok...
Try out 55 but if you are determnined to go 123TUNE road leave idles as it is and then continue to tune your carbs...
some guys are saying that, from europe they are cheaper... So I advice you brits'n pieces from Germany, good contact and cheap shipping(was for me because im from europe). Anyway contact also leen apk and ask each one of those for offer... And then order it... I had it in 3 days, for USA there should be a week or two.

Best regards

Blaz

Thanks wolf! I had a different (vac advance) distributor with the Solex.

I can contact brits'n pieces for you if you wish. Just to know the price, from then on i can give you info. PM me your contact adress if you wish...

Drilling jets is answer for someone that regrets every $ spent. I have drills just to drill progression holes, jets are pretty cheap if you know what you are doing and if you drill them you ll never know for sure what size they are(need to drill totally verically...).

Those drills are good just 4 side mounting device is really bad for small drills. Jewlers use the one with 3 side mounting...

Best regards

Blaz

Enlarging the existing holes with these drill bits is fine.  The goal is suitable afr.  Drilling blanks is a no go with the bits but that's not what you are doing.  I've had incorrect sized jets arrive from suppliers (including misaligned bores) so there is no guarantee there either.  Always verify what arrives. 

Well, I do have a a couple sets of idles that I'll never use, so it can't hurt to try and drill them. It's going to be a while before I order the 123, but I'll PM you when that time comes. Thanks!

123Ignition USA gave a $100 gift card to the MidAm festivities :)

Maybe I should buy some extra raffle tickets?

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

The drill set showed up today. Took an old set of 50f8 and drilled the fuel hole to 60 and the air bleed to 1.3 as a starting point. Also dropped the main down to 120.

120 main 175 air f9 tubes idles drilled to 60/130

Mixture screws at 3.5 turns

Idle: 12-12.5

2500 4th gear: 12-12.5 no surge/light stumble with throttle

2500 3rd gear: 12.5-13.5 very very light surge (almost undetectable)

3000 4th gear: 11-11.5 no surge

3000 3rd gear: 11.5-12 no surge

3500 4th gear: 10-10.5

Normal acceleration: 11-12.5

WOT: 12-12.5

For comparison, here are my last results:

125 main 175 air 55f9 idles F9 tubes

Idle screws 3.75 turns out

Idle: 12-2.5

2500 4th gear: 12-13 no surge

2500 3rd gear: 13.5-14.5 very light surge

3000 4th gear: 12-13 no surge

3000 3rd gear: 12.5-13.5 no surge

3500 4th gear: 11-12 no surge

Normal acceleration: 11-12.5

WOT: 11-12.5

For some reason my 3500 goes richer even with a smaller main. No more time today, but I guess I'll try a 1.4 bleed hole next?

Also took off my fuel pressure regulator. I didn't like the way it was cluttering my engine bay after I did all that work to de-clutter it. I did a test run with the previous setup to see if removing it would have any ill effects. My numbers were exactly the same as before, so it's staying off until further notice.

My misnomer, (I call it a bleed jet from motocross tuning) What pump exhaust are you running. A bigger pump exhaust would shorten the acceleration phase but lean it slightly because it is allowing more fuel to return to the bowl from the accelerator pump circuit.

4th gear accelerating

My misnomer, (I call it a bleed jet from motocross tuning) What pump exhaust are you running. A bigger pump exhaust would shorten the acceleration phase but lean it slightly because it is allowing more fuel to return to the bowl from the accelerator pump circuit.

4th gear accelerating

post-39486-0-69232100-1429394694_thumb.j

4th gear accelerating

4th gear accelerating

You sure pick a funny time to re-set your tripmeter! :P

Nice AFR gauge too. Was it expensive? :D

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

You sure pick a funny time to re-set your tripmeter! :P

Nice AFR gauge too. Was it expensive? :D

yeah, Blunt charged me $.01 for the gauge, make sure you get your royalty check MWHB. I think it's 2/10 of an AFR point lean, I'll post a thread before I call the vendor.