• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[PNW Introductions!] Who are you? Where are you from?

S-L

How far along are you with the air suspension? Not really my thing personally but I've always been fascinated it and how it all works. It would be cool to see in person.

I'm still fairly new here but I don't think there's a formal local organization associated with the FAQ. I'm sure anyone willing to take the initiative to put something together is welcome to do so and while I can't speak for everyone else, I'm open to showing up if there's nothing else going on and enough folks speak up to confirm attendance.

Make sure you invite Stu. He brings donuts and coffee to start us off.

BENTO :) i actually havent started the Air yet just bought all the parts. I am currently working on body work and shaving all the factory trim holes. if you want to swing by sometime and check it out. we can set something up. i feel like the further i get the more parts i need to order...lol i feel kinda out of place because i mentioned organizing a meet and i dont even have my car done..lol it will be probably around fall before its done. i just want to do everything right once.

and STU idk who you are  but you must be a great guy everyone like you at the meet!!! lets all meet up soon !! i hope this weather holds up !

I live in Kirkland, work in Seattle...  Love to drive for pleasure, especially on sunny weekends. Would love to be able to join others with 2002's for coffee or.. cruise.

Let me know if anyone is interested. :)

Sounds like we need a spring drive on the calendar.

Hmm, there's gotta be a good route over the Redmond plateau, into Fall City, and up 202/203. Maybe a stop at Snoqualmie Falls. I'll look into that but if anyone has a route they want to share, let's hear about it!

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

I'm originally from Kennewick, spent 6 years in Portland, at which time I bought Brigette (76 Chamonix) from the Tacoma area. Then drove her/moved to DC for 3 years. Now I am back in the area (Yakima) for the year before heading down to LA for the next year.

Brigitte is getting herself an M42 in the next few months because I am tired of this whole carb nonsense. I won't be able to join any rides until after that gets finished up but look forward to them in the future.

I'm originally from Kennewick, spent 6 years in Portland, at which time I bought Brigette (76 Chamonix) from the Tacoma area. Then drove her/moved to DC for 3 years. Now I am back in the area (Yakima) for the year before heading down to LA for the next year.

Brigitte is getting herself an M42 in the next few months because I am tired of this whole carb nonsense. I won't be able to join any rides until after that gets finished up but look forward to them in the future.

What?! There's an 02 in Yakima?! I thought I just bought the last one outta that town! I know I have the only two in Ellensburg (one's from Yakistan...)

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

What?! There's an 02 in Yakima?! I thought I just bought the last one outta that town! I know I have the only two in Ellensburg (one's from Yakistan...)

My '02 is actually in Kennewick for its heart transplant. 

I did see a brownish, kind of rough 2002 in "downtown" Yakima near my house a few months back. Caught me off guard. I regularly see a few really nice old bugs, and saw a gorgeous old mini down here too. All of which seem out of place.

Woodinvillian here! Yes to the topic of a meet up and cruise. My wife keeps bugging me about any get togethers - now that's a good problem to have :) . The Porsche club seems to have many more organized drives, though they are a much larger group. Regarding the roads out this way, we have many sweet driving roads. We'll often head out Woodinville-Duvall Rd. east, into Duvall and from there towards Carnation, Snoqualmie or the other direction toward Cherry Valley Rd. We can even do backroads to Snohomish and through the valley. There are several places to stop for lunch if we want to do a drive/lunch event.

Bento, those are some sharp wheels ya got there ;)  and the car sounds like it's coming along nicely. I'm glad you found Patrick. We 02 owners in the Puget Sound area are lucky to have him to call on for help.

I'm happy to help plan a drive and the weather is certainly giving us a reason to get out there!

Cheers,

Greg F

Greg

Woodinvillian here! Yes to the topic of a meet up and cruise. My wife keeps bugging me about any get togethers - now that's a good problem to have :) . The Porsche club seems to have many more organized drives, though they are a much larger group. Regarding the roads out this way, we have many sweet driving roads. We'll often head out Woodinville-Duvall Rd. east, into Duvall and from there towards Carnation, Snoqualmie or the other direction toward Cherry Valley Rd. We can even do backroads to Snohomish and through the valley. There are several places to stop for lunch if we want to do a drive/lunch event.

Bento, those are some sharp wheels ya got there ;) and the car sounds like it's coming along nicely. I'm glad you found Patrick. We 02 owners in the Puget Sound area are lucky to have him to call on for help.

I'm happy to help plan a drive and the weather is certainly giving us a reason to get out there!

Cheers,

Greg F

Thanks for selling them. :)

The wheels are probably the best looking part of my 02 right now. Hopefully I can get it to the point where it drives far better than it looks this spring, enjoy it for a while, then strip it down for paint in a year or two.

We'll probably go on some PCA tours this spring/summer, though we'll be in Silvia's Macan. I'm looking forward to learning some of their routes so I can go back and follow them in the 2002.

Let's chat about pulling something together for spring.

Brent

My '02 is actually in Kennewick for its heart transplant. 

I did see a brownish, kind of rough 2002 in "downtown" Yakima near my house a few months back. Caught me off guard. I regularly see a few really nice old bugs, and saw a gorgeous old mini down here too. All of which seem out of place.

This one was down by the Home Depot pretty well tucked away. Malaga with plenty of rust. Yah, it's odd to see that kinda stuff up here in Ellensburg. I see a old Alfa and that's about it. Not much else. Theres a Merc 190sl in town too!

-Nathan

Thanks for selling them. :)

The wheels are probably the best looking part of my 02 right now. Hopefully I can get it to the point where it drives far better than it looks this spring, enjoy it for a while, then strip it down for paint in a year or two.

We'll probably go on some PCA tours this spring/summer, though we'll be in Silvia's Macan. I'm looking forward to learning some of their routes so I can go back and follow them in the 2002.

Let's chat about pulling something together for spring.

My wife and I did a Porsche tour last summer that took us up to Bellingham by way of some crazy backroads that I never would have found on my own unless I was lost. I'll try to dig that route sheet up and see if there's any interest. It was a great route that took us through Bow and Edison and even a stop at a working dairy to buy cheese. We ended the drive at the harbor in Bellingham and had lunch at a nice restaurant overlooking the boats. I think it was an Italian place and they reserved the patio for us. Great day and great roads and even though I've done it once I honestly don't know if I'd be comfortable leading. Even with the route sheet I'll probably still get lost! Lucky my navigator has a waaay better sense of direction than me!

Greg

My wife and I did a Porsche tour last summer that took us up to Bellingham by way of some crazy backroads that I never would have found on my own unless I was lost. I'll try to dig that route sheet up and see if there's any interest. It was a great route that took us through Bow and Edison and even a stop at a working dairy to buy cheese. We ended the drive at the harbor in Bellingham and had lunch at a nice restaurant overlooking the boats. I think it was an Italian place and they reserved the patio for us. Great day and great roads and even though I've done it once I honestly don't know if I'd be comfortable leading. Even with the route sheet I'll probably still get lost! Lucky my navigator has a waaay better sense of direction than me!

That sounds like a great run. Probably worthy of a recon drive or small group the first time through, though.

Chuckanut drive is a great piece of road up there. Was that part of your route? Super curvy along the sound.

I wonder how a group of 2002s circling Mercer Island would be received?

Brent

That sounds like a great run. Probably worthy of a recon drive or small group the first time through, though.

Chuckanut drive is a great piece of road up there. Was that part of your route? Super curvy along the sound.

I wonder how a group of 2002s circling Mercer Island would be received?

We've done it before. 5-0 didn't really give us any trouble....

-Nathan

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Jesse and I own a 1972 Colorado Orange tii.  I bought it off John Schneeman almost a year ago for those of you who are curious.  I live in the Edmonds / Shoreline / Richmond Beach area.  My 02 is almost a daily driver for me.  Next on the list of upgrades will be 5 speed swap and LSD.  Got to get it ready for my California HWY 1 trip. :)

Just keep an eye out and you'll likely see me going up and down the I5 corridor with a monthly rip over to the east side via I90.  Always down for drivers or meetups.  It was great meeting some of you guys at the last meetup. 

Cheers,

-J

post-47702-0-80056400-1427401791_thumb.j

post-47702-0-80056400-1427401791_thumb.j

Edited by jfunk
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Phil here, and I've got a 74 tii that I picked up in the end of 2011 from a guy south of Seattle -- he had the car 13 years and said he put maybe a thousand miles on it in all that time.  The body wasn't pretty, but it was complete and solid. Saved up money for a year and then stripped it down to the bones, had the body done, and redid all the rubber and wear-and-tear bits myself. 

Pre-purchase inspection:

post-41189-0-58662000-1429673002_thumb.j

Midstream:

post-41189-0-61068300-1429672869_thumb.j

Final results, Pretty Penny:

post-41189-0-39242400-1429672939_thumb.j

The daily driver is the other 2 series, Nikole

post-41189-0-86884700-1429673223_thumb.j

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

Looks great, Phil. Was it originally Siennabraun? Hard to tell from the before photos.

Nice daily, too. That's on the top of my list to replace my A3 in a couple years.

Brent

Thanks Bento. It's the original color for the car, although it had been painted inka somewhere along the way. The paint was the worst part of the car, alligator checks, flaking patches and tiger stripes, and the PO had been slowly working his way around the edges with sandpaper and rattle can primer. It's funny, 'cause I went five years without washing my Subaru but it was a big day when I got Penny's she'll back from the body shop, and I love how nice that color is.

Back to the topics of drives, the BMWCCA is running The Whidbey Island loop this weekend. Starts in Marysville At 8. I can't speak for the weather, but there are some beautiful roads around here.

http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/events/2015-whidbey-island-loop-tour/

I've got the tranny out, working on replacing seals so I'll likely be out there with the new 2, but hope to see you all.

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors