• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DCOE Install (Fuel Supply, Linkage and Jetting Questions)

Beach_Bum

Looks to me like you need the plate that attaches under the carbs in order to anchor and align the cable end to achieve a straight/downward pull.  I don't see how it could work without that anchor point...?  The cable just flops around, otherwise...correct?

The Bavaria pump will work perfectly for you (I bought a rebuildable one from Jim Hanks...he even had the kit in his stash) Of course, this pic is post-cleanup.

post-42878-0-89172500-1424280225_thumb.j

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Looks to me like you need the plate that attaches under the carbs in order to anchor and align the cable end to achieve a straight/downward pull.  I don't see how it could work without that anchor point...?  The cable just flops around, otherwise...correct?

The Bavaria pump will work perfectly for you (I bought a rebuildable one from Jim Hanks...he even had the kit in his stash) Of course, this pic is post-cleanup.

attachicon.giffuel pump.jpg

I do have the plate that mounts to the bottom of the carb. Sorry I should have been more clear. It's mounted on the same carb pictured above as close to directly below that piece as I can get it. Even with that, the pull is not straight. And I've used washers to try and get them aligned.

I've emailed Steve and he's going to give me some input after I send him some pics.

Since the TEP drawing is so crude, I don't see where exactly the bracket attaches to the bottom of the carbs.  I would have thought the bracket would place the cable anchor squarely under the throttle levers.

Could you fabricate an additional bracket between the carbs that centers the TEP bracket? Or just skip the TEP bracket and make one out of some simple flat stock, that spans both carbs underneath and has a threaded hole in the center, under the throttle levers, where the cable could anchor.  That would be a snap to make....

...it was immensely frustrating to me when I was putting my system together that the aftermarket systems are so non-functional without modification.  There just seems to be too many variables with carb levers, manifold designs, etc...  The TEP system appeared to be the best, aftermarket design to me, but you must have a proper cable anchor centered under the carbs.

Couple of other things...

Do you have a proper waterneck to clear the sidedraft manifold?

You may need a different fuel pump pushrod with that Bavaria pump? http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/156658-fuel-pump-push-rod/

and, out of curiosity... what are your plans for velocity stacks and air filters? 

Ed

Since the TEP drawing is so crude, I don't see where exactly the bracket attaches to the bottom of the carbs.  I would have thought the bracket would place the cable anchor squarely under the throttle levers.

Could you fabricate an additional bracket between the carbs that centers the TEP bracket? Or just skip the TEP bracket and make one out of some simple flat stock, that spans both carbs underneath and has a threaded hole in the center, under the throttle levers, where the cable could anchor.  That would be a snap to make....

...it was immensely frustrating to me when I was putting my system together that the aftermarket systems are so non-functional without modification.  There just seems to be too many variables with carb levers, manifold designs, etc...  The TEP system appeared to be the best, aftermarket design to me, but you must have a proper cable anchor centered under the carbs.

Couple of other things...

Do you have a proper waterneck to clear the sidedraft manifold?

You may need a different fuel pump pushrod with that Bavaria pump? http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/156658-fuel-pump-push-rod/

and, out of curiosity... what are your plans for velocity stacks and air filters? 

Ed

Yes, I never thought that the throttle linkage would be the most difficult part of the install! I've added some pictures that I also sent to Steve. Maybe someone can see something I've done wrong.

I originally purchased a 320i divider, but that didn't clear, so I had to buy a 318i divider which now clears my manifold.

I did purchase the longer push rod referenced in this thread: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/80955-dcoe-installation-faq/

And for the filters, I got the Ramflo ones:

rfaf.jpg

Pics of my install. Note that I have not completed the fuel lines yet, and will be installing a filter:

post-45423-0-91835100-1424303406_thumb.j

post-45423-0-79747400-1424303435_thumb.j

post-45423-0-63067100-1424303457_thumb.j

Having no experience with the cable linkage I am merely speculating here...

The TEP cable seems way too long.  Ridiculously long... I would think it needs to be just long enough to provide flex as the engine moves under load and not much more.  Try this... have someone actuate the accel pedal while you watch in the engine bay.  I'd be curious if all that slack is flexing just under pedal pressure (if so, that's what's giving you the mushy pedal-feel and difficult actuation. Compounding all of this, I'm guessing you need a helluva strong throttle return spring to return all that cable back to zero.  ...pew

There will be a good deal of friction from all that cable sliding inside the sheath...which will only get worse over time.  Be mindful not to use too much lubricant inside the sheath, as it will gum up and REALLY make things worse. I would only use graphite, if anything. As it's new, I would do anything, right now.

My suggestions would be:

Have Steve at TEP make you a shorter cable. I might also see how I could change the location of the cable anchor under the carbs so it is pulling mostly 90 degrees to the rotation of the throttle lever. (maybe switching to the TEP supplied throttle lever would give better results? IDK...)

Also insure that the cables are lined up exactly on the ends so they don't rub on the anchor slides (as in the 1st pic...alignment is slightly off.  The exercise is to reduce friction in the system wherever you can...no kinks and no rubbing) Also swing the bracket on the brake booster to line up more directly with the accelerator pedal attachment. 

Now...if you are still unhappy... I see the Korman manifold has threaded holes to use a mount similar to this:

K206.jpg

I'm sure you have already explored that option... Since your carbs are already tied in the middle, all you would need is the center actuating lever. 

Thoughts?

Ed Z

All great suggestions! I'm still waiting to hear back from Steve after I sent him the pictures last night. I'm heading out of town tonight, and will try to tweak things when I get back next week. I'll update with my results.

Maybe the moderators can change the title of the thread since it's no longer about fuel supply :D ?

I have actually been exploring the option of the "rod-style" linkage as well. I picked up some heim joints from my local Grainger yesterday. I might try to piece a kit together similar to the picture you posted.

Good deal.  I've asked a couple of others who have had your same troubles to chime in on their linkage problems/solutions. 

My side draft install was about as straightforward as it gets, considering it mimicked the OEM setup...even so, it took some wrangling to sort it all out.  It looks like you are very close, so keep pushing, things are about to get REALLY fun....synchronizing, jetting, ignition timing...then BRRRAAAPPPP!

What are you doing for ignition?

I know I can't wait to fire her up! I bought a wideband sensor and a synchrometer to hopefully make the tuning side easier.

I bought a refurbished Tii distributor off of Ebay, and I'll be using a Pertronix unit in that. I had a Pertronix in my vac advance distributor and never had any trouble with it.

Hey guys -

Personally - I think the generic kits suck.  The best one I found came from Pierce Manifolds.

Write up here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/151308-best-dual-sidedraft-carb-setup/page-4

I just have it somewhat mocked up on the floor in my living room, but I don't see an interference problem (yet).

20150219_192421_zpsgn5djhkb.jpg

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Kidtasters ....  the problem is you haven't installed and run the "generic kits" or your neat setup yet.  What you've done is great, but to say something sucks without trying it or having issues to work through is a bit odd.  Perhaps it would be better to say .... "I've found what I believe to be the best setup possible."

Looks really nice though.

Jeff, I didn't realize you are who I was emailing, nice to put a name from the emails to a username. Looks like you've got something nearly sorted.

I'm slowly getting there. Ordered some more pieces from the local supply store that should be in by the time I get back next week. Hoping to be able to start her by next weekend. Thanks again for all your help!

Hey guys -

Personally - I think the generic kits suck. The best one I found came from Pierce Manifolds.

Write up here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/151308-best-dual-sidedraft-carb-setup/page-4

I just have it somewhat mocked up on the floor in my living room, but I don't see an interference problem (yet).

Looks killer! I'm piecing something similar together with 5/16 hardware so I don't have to tap my manifold.

Kidtasters ....  the problem is you haven't installed and run the "generic kits" or your neat setup yet.  What you've done is great, but to say something sucks without trying it or having issues to work through is a bit odd.  Perhaps it would be better to say .... "I've found what I believe to be the best setup possible."

Looks really nice though.

Sucked so bad didn't make it to installation.  Didn't even make it past "Go"

Just sayin'

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I've set them up and seen them setup perfectly fine for years.  Not sure how something that is known to function perfectly fine is something that translates into "sucks".

Looking forward to seeing it finished though.  A couple tweaks should probably get it running, what are you waiting for?

Edited by AceAndrew