• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Pump Push Rod

oclee118

There are two different part numbers for the push rod, depending on which pump you have (early or late).

Part number 13311250398 is specified for the "KFST. PUMPE".

Part number 13311255727 is specified for the "L STREARING".

I don't know which version you have, I believe that the "L STREARING" one is the one that has a more rounded, thin metal housing.

Regards, Maurice.

First hit after using the Google search button (above right) gleaned this jewel that has all the answers...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/116427-fuel-pump-push-rod-question/

Go here for the schematics...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=ST12&mospid=47140&hg=13&fg=10

or, here's the schematics:

90 degree fuel pump

post-42878-0-56366200-1407246379.png

Standard fuel pump

post-42878-0-01676600-1407246565.png

If you are running sidedrafts, you likely have the 90 degree pump shown in the upper schematic.  If you are running a single carb, you likely have the pump shown in the lower schematic. The pushrods are definitely different... Either way, The Blunt-Meister will have the parts and get them to you, post haste... and like Ray says, "free ice cream with every order!"   http://www.blunttech.com/home.wws

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

2002 Fuel pump 101...

2002s fitted with the one barrel carb used the pump as shown in illustration 12-25 above--it can be dismantled and rebuilt, using the rebuild kit for a VW Beetle (air cooled) which uses a similar pump.  IIRC this one uses the longer pushrod.

2002s fitted with the two barrel carb (late 1972 on) use the pump shown in 12-27;  They're sealed and cannot be rebuilt but do have an internal filter screen that you can remove and clean.  They use the shorter pushrod. 

Both style pumps utilize the phenolic spacer block to insulate the pump from the hot cylinder head casting.

That being said, since the pumps interchange, chances are pretty good that yours has been replaced with the later style pump, as I don't believe the early pump is still available as an OEM (i.e. German manufacturer) item.  There is (or was) an Italian substitute pump that looks like the early style pump.  I had one on my car for a number of years until the pad that the pushrod bears against wore through and it stopped working.  I was able to build up the pad by welding and now keep it as a spare.

Either pump will provide sufficent fuel flow for dual sidedrafts; it was actually the early style pump that was used on Euro ti's.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

+1 on Mike's comments

I am running the early, 90 degree, rebuild-able pump with my Solexes.  It works flawlessly for sidedrafts, but they are hard to find... I would certainly buy another, if I found one.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I have always wondered if you replace the pushrod with a new one, should you use break in oil (high zddp)? does it need it since it rides the cam just like the rockers? is there a danger of cam wear or since it doesn't ride the cam with the greater pressure of the rockers is it not a concern?  maybe the engine builder guru's can chime in.

74 Golf

I have always wondered if you replace the pushrod with a new one, should you use break in oil (high zddp)? does it need it since it rides the cam just like the rockers? is there a danger of cam wear or since it doesn't ride the cam with the greater pressure of the rockers is it not a concern?  maybe the engine builder guru's can chime in.

You're correct; there's substantially-less pressure on the fuel pump actuation lobe than on the lobes for the rocker arms. If changing only the fuel pump / rod, I don't believe there's a concern about break-in. -KB