Ron_Ron

Sounds like you're just starting out with autocross. If not, disregard the following...

No need to have special wheels and tires for autocross if you're just starting out. Assuming your tires are in good condition just get out there and try it.

You'll be the slowest guy out there regardless and autocross in a light, low powered car like a 2002 won't be all that hard on your street tires.

I would recommend getting your own helmet though. The club loaners can be a bit funky and in short supply.

Otherwise, you just need to be sure your car is in good mechanical condition so it doesn't pose a safety risk to you or others.

If you're just looking for info on what fits and looks cool, there are a couple of lengthy threads on the topic that you can dig up using the search feature.

+1 to bento's reply.

If you want to be brand loyal and frugal, find an old e21 and take the turbines or basketweaves from it. That way you're saving money and looking rad. (IMHO) Also this will allow you to upgrade your brakes with a different caliper even though they are 13" like your steel wheels...if thats what you have now.

If you already have larger wheels and don't mind cost then yes, there are plenty of threads on that.

Thank you for the advice, i will take it into consideration. I'm looking to purchase more of an aftermarket looking wheel. I was considering something in the 14' 15' or 16' wheel but 16's seem a little big. Any ideas of a good lightweight wheel that will give me a cool aftermarket look? i also need to consider tire sizes. i don't want to little of a side wall due to pot holes in my area.

How about a set of Panasports? I put a set of 14" bottlecap wheels from an e30 on mine. You could probably find a set of them for not too much, they look good and fit with no modifications and they are from a BMW after all. Availability of 13" and 14" tires are getting hard to find these days. Here's a link to a thread from a few days ago to look at.  http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/161902-cons-of-large-heavy-wheels-tires/

Welcome Ron!  Yeah, search around for wheel threads, autocross threads.  The "stance thread" alone has a zillion wheel / tire combos.  This forum has been up for a long time, so there is a lot of content already there.  

Once you get the good wheels, you know, you're going to want sway bars, and that means you should get some springs to lower the car a little, so you might as well get Bilsteins, and really, you'll need a better seat and smaller steering wheel at that point.  

Such a simple, innocent question about wheels, and such a slippery slope.  It's a fun slope, though.  Everyone's on it, almost.  

Good luck with the wheel quest and the autocrossing!

Scott

Thank you again for all the great ideas. I went on to tire rack this morning and found a wheel called the FF10. It looks cool bud does anyone know anything about it? I added a link to tire rack. Its saying the wheel is 12.7 pounds. Thats light!!!

It definitely fits my price range. I don't what to jump the gun and buy them yet without know if people have tried them or not? anyone here know anything about it?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=FF1570410025CG&wheelMake=TRMotorsport&wheelModel=FF10&wheelFinish=Light+Grey+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=2002&autoYear=1976&autoModClar=&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

Are they available in a 4 x 100 PCD, minimum center bore of 52.1mm, 15 x 7, ET25-ish? That's a starting point unless you're modifying your fenders or adding flares.

There is so much discussion on this forum regarding rims -- not to mention the over-blown "stance" thread -- you'd be well served to see the rims 2002 owners have actually used on their cars.

Steve

• Administrators

Figure out what tire you want to run and what class you will run and then get the lightest possible wheel in that size. That is if you want to be competitive.  

You can get custom wheels in many sizes.  CCW now makes wheels in 15" and larger in almost any width.

steve k.

Archived