• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Tools Thread?

Benjamin A.R.

All these hand tools, and not a single tool for the feet?  Here's my favorite tool for working on my 2002.

havianas.jpg

Light, flexible and stylish, these sandals slip on and off in a jiffy, enabling the wearer to quickly leave the greasy shop floor behind when climbing into the car or walking into the house.  The open toe design makes it easy to verify that the wearer still has all his toes.  Also facilitates base 20 calculations that are so prevalent with 2002s.  

Safety third!

How about the maul for dismantling rear suspensions.

pics10102010033.jpg

Of course a few friends for added stability

pics10102010030.jpg

Grice - your OSHA-approved footwear is rampant

pics5152010004.jpg

You can have fancy wire strippers and crimpers but you need to find someone who can fold themselves up inside your car.

pics5152010007.jpg

VW flywheel lock works well on M10 engines

pics112010002.jpg

My handy workbench - the trash bin

IMG_7005.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Wow! Favorite tool?  Air compressor?  Drill press? Recip saw?  I have loved and I have hated all these tools, sometimes in the the same day.  But day in and day out I love my ipod and wireless speaker.  It keeps me calm and collected during my garage time

post-37958-0-56438600-1418089855_thumb.j

Thanks, Larry

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=740004&group_ID=683070

IMHO nothing is better than the TRF 72. I leave a short extension on mine with a deap well 10mm socket on it at all times.

It's worth whatever you have to pay for it.

John

Here's five 3/8" ratchet wrenches

post-41415-0-58768700-1418091785_thumb.j

craftsman - not so good

post-41415-0-07800000-1418091906_thumb.j

snap-on - good

post-41415-0-60592000-1418091924_thumb.j

old craftsman -best

post-41415-0-79303000-1418091946_thumb.j

old snap-on

post-41415-0-55706000-1418092032_thumb.j

older snap-on

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

i was on my back from the age of 16 on - bought a max-jax two years ago - not sure why I waited so long.  (over 40 years of spinning wrenches on my own toys)

simple to install and operate

Jeff

Yes! I plan on picking one of these up next year. Just have to raise my garage door opener about a foot to make room for max height.

Do you have any pics of yours you could post (maybe even with an 02 on it)? :)

Yes! I plan on picking one of these up next year. Just have to raise my garage door opener about a foot to make room for max height.

Do you have any pics of yours you could post (maybe even with an 02 on it)? :)

I was just out measuring my garage... Just over 7ft to the door rails, so probably okay for height but 105" width means I'd probably have to set it up before, and pack it away after, every project. Not a showstopper but just adds a bit of time to each job.

Jeff- After initial setup, roughly how long does setup and packing it away take you? Also, where are you placing the lift pads? Can you reach the subframes or do you have to use the rocker panel jack points? I'd like to see photos as well.

The toughest question is 5 speed conversion or the lift that would make it suck less to do?

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

sorry but I haven't mastered posting pictures - I just did a quick read on how and I guess if you are on Explorer, it is hard to paste them??

At any rate - I am fortunate that I do not have to breakdown the lift and can leave it in place.  It was fairly easy to install once I drilled the holes in the concrete.  I placed it on a floor that is approx. 5.5" thick.  The manual was easy to read and follow.  The jacking points/arms can easily reach the sub-frame.  I also use the lift for my 46 Willys Jeep which is very narrow and short so I placed the posts a little closer than the manual called for. 

I think it would be relatively easy to unbolt it from the floor and tip the arms back and roll them out of the way.  Keep in mind they are fairly heavy and awkward but at 61, I did not have a problem moving them.  the complete unit comes on a big pallet, I had it shipped to the maintenance garage where I work.  They helped me load it into my utility trailer and I backed it into my barn - opened up the package and started one piece at a time. I chose the Maxjax because of the flexibility of the width to set it up.  I use a rolling chair when in the highest position and a creeper when it is lower.  It is very handy to get under the car even if only to check things. 

feel free to email me for a photo taken right after I got the lift - my barn was a mess but you will get the idea.  Next weekend I would be happy to take any photos needed

Jeff

My 4-post lift is my largest tool in the garage. Don't know how I lived without it for so long.

post-38744-0-15942400-1418140198_thumb.j

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

sorry but I haven't mastered posting pictures - I just did a quick read on how and I guess if you are on Explorer, it is hard to paste them??

If you have the pictures on your computer go to: imgur.com and upload them via the "upload images" link on their site. Once they're uploaded all you have to do is copy the {option} tags and paste them here.

Here's a link on how to upload: http://www.wikihow.com/Upload-Images-to-Imgur

If you have the pictures on your computer go to: imgur.com and upload them via the "upload images" link on their site. Once they're uploaded all you have to do is copy the {option} tags and paste them here.

Here's a link on how to upload: http://www.wikihow.com/Upload-Images-to-Imgur

Easier yet, if you have the images on your computer, just click on "more reply options" on this site. Then click on "choose files" next to the big paperclip, select your image then attach after it loaded.

[attachpost-33026-0-99206000-1418147190_thumb.j

ok - that last post (no pun intended) was a big help.  here is the pic, big bumpers are now gone  - much easier with the lift!

My barn is not quite as neat as Andrew's is, maybe I need to move to Maine

Jeff

Edited by willys