• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calling C.d.iesel, Pat Allen, Byron- Preyupy: Info On Turbo Piston Specs

chrisrouse
Go to solution Solved by chrisrouse,

Hey c.d.iesel, Pat, Byron

You're the master(s) of esoteric BMW technical info. Do you have any information on the piston crown volume for '74 turbo pistons? I'm starting assembly on the motor for my pal Stan's Turbo (vin 4290767) and I'm in the process of calculating necessary head gasket thickness for the proper compression ratio. My blue service manual doesn't have any of the addendum for the turbo models. The pistons are new Mahle 89.47 dish top pistons. Got a spec on the volume of the dish?

Thanks,

Chris 

Edited by chrisrouse

Hmm, no more C.D., eh? I tried the google searching and forum searching, and found the depth of the dish but not the volume. I suppose I could get out the calculus textbooks and try and figure it out, but I don't know if the dish is hemispherical or a complex curve. I could also try to measure the volume physically, but I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. Thanks for the input.

C.D.'s computer allegedly didn't play well with the new forum layout.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Well, the answer is 10mLs +-.5mLs. I dug out the graduated syringe, low viscosity oil, and leveled the block. 10mLs.

This is more fun than a text book if you ask me and comes with a deeper understanding.

Edited by felix_666

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed 

well, i dont have that info specifically, but assuming you use a e12 head, with flat tops it makes 8:1, head is 61cc

turbo pistons/engine is 6.9:1 cr, so a rule of thumb makes it at 70cc, or ±9cc more into the dish of the piston.

cant tell if thats accurate or not but thats my first guess.

hth

fwiw CD sold his 02 a while ago, and probably became bored as 50% of the people didnt agreed with him....that means 50% also did agree.... :)

Edited by PatAllen

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

The cylinder head combustion chamber is modified and has a larger combustion chamber volume than the standard E12 head. Again I don't remember the exact dimensions off the top of my head. I think it is close to 68cc.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

The cylinder head combustion chamber is modified and has a larger combustion chamber volume than the standard E12 head. Again I don't remember the exact dimensions off the top of my head. I think it is close to 68cc.

are you sure of that ? 68cc + 10cc into the piston makes a extremely low CR, lower than 6.9:1. Where did they digged that 10cc?

i never bougth that idea, furthemore the literature mention something extremely similar if not exactly as is"The cylinder head combustion chamber is modified and has a larger combustion chamber volume" (than a 121 or E12?? they dont tell this detail) but i think its a huge miss understanding at that time i think they where just trying to explain they  moved from the initial 121 head to a plain e12. i might be completely wrong but would like to see a scientifc answer to that.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Yes I am sure they modified the E12 combustion chamber on the Turbo heads. I don't have access to my measurements right now but if you can find the pictures BMW put in the original sales brochure you can see the combustion chamber very clearly. I just don't remember the exact measurements of the combustion chamber and piston dish but do remember with the 0.006" I took off my head, 0.5mm overbore and stock headgasket thickness I am at 6.95:1. P

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC