• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near Miss At Track

M3M3

this one was a bit close.....another instructor was driving an unfamiliar car and locked up a rear brake in a dangerous part of the track at Summit Point.  thankfully he knew to keep "both feet in" which locks the cars trajectory to a predictable line, even though it was spinning.

also helps that i could see it happening and the M2 has great brakes....

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Glad you were able to miss hitting him. Should be called nearly hit.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Nice video.  What were you using to record it?

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Also glad you did not hit him!

But for everyone interested in a big brake conversion it is a very good example why you should always keep an eye on brake balance and why you should in no way have the rear of the car "overbraking" the front.

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Nice video.  What were you using to record it?

older canon FS100 digicam mounted to IO port camera mount on roll bar.

Also glad you did not hit him!

But for everyone interested in a big brake conversion it is a very good example why you should always keep an eye on brake balance and why you should in no way have the rear of the car "overbraking" the front.

Regards, Lars.

so true.  many people just "throw together" brake upgrades without regard for calculating the balance front to rear.

in this case, the car that spun may have had a decent balance, but that brake zone is seriously downhill and off camber.  right rear is very light there and many otherwise closely balanced brake systems will lock the right rear first.   or....the cars balance was wacked and the result is evidence!

No flag men?

flag station is on left going down the hill on the rise in a gazebo at the apex of the left turn.

No driving gloves?

never use them in PDX's going less than full tilt.  If i am pushing it in a time trial i jump to full firesuit and gloves for safety.  always wear a HANS in the car on track though!

2xM3

I'll see your near miss, and raise you this one.

The right hand corner had been progressively  cut up during the day.  The 4WD cars in particular were dragging soft wet clay out in to the center of the road.  The front just let go as I reapplied power exiting the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16CsbwSKY8E

I was already wondering if we were going to go end over end when we hit the bottom.