• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whining Sound In 1St And 2Nd Gear?

76ohtwo

Hi guys!

Just bought my first 02 and loving it so far. The car is far from perfect; but I got it for a great price and it's the perfect car for me. When I'm driving, the car makes a strange whining sound in first and second gear, but the sound goes away as soon as it's in third. The car has a 5-speed from an E21. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Mattio523

1976 BMW 2002

Does the sound happen under load, when coasting or all the time? What fluid is in the tranny? Try Redline MTL and see if that helps.

All the time; but only in 1st or 2nd; the remaining 3 gears and Reverse don't make the sound. Where can I buy Redline MTL?

-Mattio523

1976 BMW 2002

You've likely got a high mileage and well used 320i 5 speed. When they get a lot of miles on them the gears wear and begin to howl. Goes away in the higher gears. Concur Redline MTL may help, but it may actually make the noise worse as it is a thinner lube. Try a mix of MTL and regular tranny gear oil to see what happens.

If you go with Redline, you need to keep a close eye on the level in the transmission.  Because MTL is thinner, old seals sometimes don't hold it in as well and the stuff leaks out "fast."  So you need to check it "often" to make sure the level remains where it belongs.

Cheers,

Carl

The rear layshaft bearing is under load in first and second. The load shifts toward the front bearing in the higher gears. That is why it gets quieter once out of 2nd. Look at the old fluid coming out for fine, silvery metallic specs. It is a sign of wear.

Sounds like my 5-speed has seen better days; but I'll do whatever it takes to keep my 02 on the road. Engine is being rebuilt next winter so maybe the tranny will be too. Hopefully after we change the fluid and tighten things up it'll be ok for the spring, summer and fall. Thanks for all the help, guys!

-Mattio523

1976 BMW 2002

I would change to MTL and not worry about it too much.  Unless it's a real howl, and you're

getting flakes, as David says...

When you drain the fluid, you might find a magnet on the drain plug.

It'll look like a steel furball.  Take a picture of it before you clean it

off- it tells a pretty good story of what's happening with the gears 

and bearings.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to rebuild things- sort it and test it first.

The mechanicals are very stout on these cars...

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I wonder if the sound is normal: my car has a whining sound in 1st and 2nd that is distinctive (sounds like reverse in other cars). And I remember that sound in my childhood from my dad's '70 when it was new.

That's exactly what happens.

-Mattio523

1976 BMW 2002