• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i kept hearing a knock and rattle when I went over bumps.  Had the car on ramps today.  A couple of questions.

PO used Urethane bushings on front sway bar but the whole bar is loose and moves.  There are no sway bar bushings.  This may be my noise... Video Attached!

I have to remove the swaybar and fix this.

Should I...

1. Stay with urethane?  I drive on the roads and to work.  I like good handling but a nice ride too. Suggestions?

2. Buy a different sway bar?  I assume this one is stock... Suggestions?  Again I live on a mountain and like driving through the turns but im no racer...

IMG_0236 (1).MOV

post-45331-0-56306800-1397870939_thumb.j

post-45331-0-92838100-1397870956_thumb.j

Edited by paulram

Haha, that second picture with no bushing. Yep, that would do it.

As far as comparison between the two bars.  Have you done any research?  They're different beasts, just depends on what you want out of the bar.  Your best bet would be to find some local guys already running them and go for a comparo.

Edited by AceAndrew

That's not a stock swaybar, by the way, so don't toss it in the scrap pile. It's pretty crusty looking but it could probably be sandblasted and powdercoated. Worth saving for some other needy '02er someday or taking to a swapmeet.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

From the picture it looks like a 22mm swaybar.  Definitely worth keeping/cleaning/reusing. A good street setup is 22mm front; 19mm rear with urethane mounting and link bushings all around.

Urethane bushings in a swaybar setup don't make the car's ride any harsher (like they do in the suspension) because they only come into play when cornering.  With rubber bushings, there's some compression before the swaybar starts doing its duty; with urethane, there's no delay. 

When you replace the mounting bushings, you'll probably need to tweak the brackets a little as the 22mm bushings are a bit larger than the stock ones--you'll also need longer bolts to hold the brackets to the subframe. 

I recently installed a 22mm bar in my '73, and it was an absolute bitch to get the bar into position between the lower valence panel and the subframe--I actually had to pry the sheet metal out of the way to fit the bar in.

happy tinkering

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Removed the swaybar tonight.  Picture attached.

Is it safe to assume that even though the small tab that held the bushing in place which is broken (see picture) it wont make a difference with an aftermarket set? The ones I've seen look like they have two holes which means I'd have to drill anyway correct?

post-45331-0-56072900-1397962129_thumb.j

post-45331-0-97434400-1397962134_thumb.j

Is it safe to assume that even though the small tab that held the bushing in place which is broken (see picture) it wont make a difference with an aftermarket set?

no.  most aftermarket bars use that same mounting for the bushing.  

the IE bars are the only ones i know of that do NOT use that mounting location. 

2xM3

Marshall,

The clips I removed that hold the bushings had a tab that slid into that broken piece front side and two bolts holding it rear side. The pictures I see to mount the swaybars seems to be one bolt back, one bolt front (no tab).   Am I missing something?  I see the IE bar configuration but it appears from the picture I could use the same bar with new mounts or the Blunt bar.  ST has no photo so I'd have to see.

Based on the images it seems like I would use one hole that was drilled already and need to drill the second.  Unless there is a second hole drilled already I don't see.  I don't see any mounts with the "tab"

Happy Easter...

post-45331-0-36734200-1397998644_thumb.j

Edited by paulram

As mentioned above, the IE sway bar permits installation of a front sway bar when those tabs are broken. That said, the tabs can be repaired.

(data point: we reinforce the tabs on track cars which will get big bars using the factory mount location (as part of an overall sub frame prep)).

-KB

post-35761-0-22841000-1398004515_thumb.j

post-35761-0-52266700-1398004694_thumb.j

what you have looks like an ST bar to me.  

019.jpg

Have you measured your rear bar?  I would guess it is a 19mm to go with your 22mm up front.  The ST set I bought has a heim joint where it attaches to the rear bar.  If that is what you have, I would simply weld that broken tab, paint the bar, buy some new poly mounts and "run what you brung" as they say.

010.jpg

(I like the fabric ST puts in their mounts)