• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sharing Some Vintage Race Shots

jrkoupe

Mark,

so Schnitzer got their molds back from the guy in northern Germany that I heard of having them for a longer time? Or did they still have other own ones?

In a talk with Harald Waldherr at the time he was still a Schnitzer employee (three or four years ago maybe) there already were thoughts on a reproduction from Schnitzer´s side. But they were scared on all the costs to come with it. He told me, Schnitzer is only a small company and if they start a reproduction they´ll have to do it high-quality. With that they´ll have to remake not only the heads but all the other parts like e.g. front timing cover, too. They were not willing to take on the risk that with the anyhow small market for those parts in the end no one will buy anything at the prices needed to break even.

According to the rumors I heard there might have been at least one guy from northern Bavaria that was pushing at Schnitzer for let´s say an offcially licensed reproduction start. Then the guys from Austria stumbled into the ring - I think they do postings here on the FAQ also. With a little delay to their initial plans they claimed to have their prototype running (or maybe only planned to run, don´t remember precisely) on dyno right before the end of 2013, didn´t they? Got hat info second hand but didn´t I read your name in their mailing list?

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Mark,

so Schnitzer got their molds back from the guy in northern Germany that I heard of having them for a longer time? Or did they still have other own ones?

In a talk with Harald Waldherr at the time he was still a Schnitzer employee (three or four years ago maybe) there already were thoughts on a reproduction from Schnitzer´s side. But they were scared on all the costs to come with it. He told me, Schnitzer is only a small company and if they start a reproduction they´ll have to do it high-quality. With that they´ll have to remake not only the heads but all the other parts like e.g. front timing cover, too. They were not willing to take on the risk that with the anyhow small market for those parts in the end no one will buy anything at the prices needed to break even.

According to the rumors I heard there might have been at least one guy from northern Bavaria that was pushing at Schnitzer for let´s say an offcially licensed reproduction start. Then the guys from Austria stumbled into the ring - I think they do postings here on the FAQ also. With a little delay to their initial plans they claimed to have their prototype running (or maybe only planned to run, don´t remember precisely) on dyno right before the end of 2013, didn´t they? Got hat info second hand but didn´t I read your name in their mailing list?

Best regards, Lars.

The guys from Austria post here, there is a recent post of the engine being prototyped on the Blog Archives thread.  I heard from a friend in the UK that Schnitzer was going to start again making some of the parts, and then another was at their factory/shop just a few weeks ago and saw some of the molds being prepared.  How far off that is who knows and how many parts made (again who knows).  It is a positive thing I think for sure,  I know that my cylinder head doesn't have much more material that can be surfaced off of it.  By the way, the NOS cylinder head I sold years ago was number #117 and I am willing to bet that was probably one of the last complete heads (with cam carrier) to come out of their shop.  I want to say the one on the AlpinA car is #57 (relating to the image you posted of the forty some cylinder heads).  I'll bet you noted in the one engine shot with all the engines in the engine room, the 16v engine that is assembled - three spark plugs/cylinder.  It was an experiment they tried (Motorsport as well) that didn't work.  Every Schnitzer head, cam carrier, valve cover has provision for 1-3 spark plugs, though only one is used......not new information for you I know.  Pretty crazy looking all those wires coming out of the engine.  Reminds of a Carrera twin plug engine.....

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Well LarsAlpina you seem to know all the drivers!

Some pics of Ronnie Peterson "the Superswede" or superspeed...

Before the race Ronnie stepped into Clark Kents phoneboot if you know
what I mean.

ron1_zps0d33d943.jpg

Ron11972Nurburgring_zpsd38b5fcd.jpg

ron2_zpsc45b77e2.jpg

- What setup are using Ronnie?
- Yours.
He didn´t care to much.

ron3_zpsab7c1f88.jpg

ron4_zps62220063.jpg

ron5_zps2e7d02e6.jpg

ron6_zps2c517773.jpg

ron7_zps1868860c.jpg

ron8_zps7311be29.jpg
ron9_zps028a7bec.jpg

Hans Stuck and Ronnie

ron11stuckpeterson_zpsabff5547.jpg

ron13_zps911be676.jpg

Late for the race at Kyalami, South Africa.

ron14_zps462b607b.jpg

Ronnie or Hans at Nürburgring 1974

ron151974Nurburgring6HoursHans-JoachimSt

ron16bmw_1976_silverstone_zps2fb67309.jp

ron17_zps4af934d0.jpg

Ferrari 312 PB at Sebring 1972

Ron181972Sebring12hoursraceFerrari_zps85

ron19_zps9de63a8a.jpg

Another driver Joakim Bonnier.

Bon1_zpse07b7b91.jpeg

Porsche 718

Bon2Porsche718_zpsac427b77.jpg

Bonnier and Phil Hill

Bon3_zpsa66b41c6.jpg

Bonnier and Hill Sebring 1966

Bon4Chaparral2D-ChevroletSebring1966_zps

Targa Florio 1971

Bon5targa71_zpsfe195502.jpg

Lola T70

Bon6LolaT70_zpsecfb39b7.jpg

Bon7_zps1cfd844e.jpg

Jo in his last race Le Mans 1972

Bon8_zps846ee07c.jpg

1961 a star is born Damon Hill trying his new toy.

Bruce McLaren, Sir Stirling Moss, Tony Brooks, Graham Hill, Bonnier , Wolfgang Von Tripps

Bon91961DamonHill-BruceMcLarenStirlingMo

That wife is a keeper.

- Honey, please dust your McLaren.

Bon10_zpsa83d0b35.jpg

Bon11_zpsac73e393.jpg

Here are some photos of an Alpina that came to New Zealand directly from the Alpina factory in 1969 - car is still here going though an extensive rebuild.

They´re spread (and loved) all over the world. Marvellous!

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Andersson,

fabulous pictures! I think I´ve seen Bonnier´s "car on the wall" before in some article in an old german car magazine. I think they portrayed him detailedly and pointed out on his efforts in increasing safety in motorracing. He was among the few earlybirds on that issue, wasn´t he?

Motor Nord sales ad is magnifiscent. Did they really have special valve covers with their logo on them not only for the 2-valve but even for the Schnitzer? Such a 2-valve cover is hard to get hands on today i assume?

And I´m still smiling for the Monaco photos showing Ronnie did not only know how to grab a steering wheel but also other nice things - looks quite professional. :D

Regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.

LarsAlpina:

The 2 valve cover is rare they were sold as a separate piece too. I´ll see if I can find a picture of the 16v cover.

Bonnier was one of the first regarding drivers safety, yes It was crazy back then

graham-hill-1968-grand-prix-cattle_zpsc0

And here is Holger Tapp with his turbo driving a decent 12,358 sek on the 1/4 mile back in 1978-79.

Holger2_zpsbdaf45a0.jpg

Holger1_zps1f950ce0.jpg

And Erik "on the roof" Carlsson

Nothing to write home about here...

pa-taket-carlsson-saab-96-on-the-roof_zp

Edited by Andersson