• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Vs. M20 - *flame Suit On*

kid2002

I need some advice. I've got an M20 freshly rebuilt as a 2.7i. New clutch, etc. etc.

After building this engine, I ended up getting a 1976 2002 AUTO for free from a good friend of mine. My natural thought was to take the 2.7i (That I JUST finished installing into my 300.00 E30 shell for hoonigan fun) and throw it into the 2002. I pretty much have a donor car ready to swap everything over that i'd need.

The ONLY issue for me is the engine mounts. I'm having a hell of a hard time sourcing a set, new or used. I've decided I DON'T want to take the engine mount fabrication up on myself. Piece of mind is huge for me and I just don't feel comfortable knowing my first experience with welding would be ENGINE MOUNTS.

My co-workers are purists. They keep telling me to just build a "hot" M10, and that i'll never regret going that route. I don't know much about the M10, and don't see how or why it would ever compare to an M20 - Stock for stock. One thing is for sure. If I decide to go M10, this is going to be a balls out build.

Mainly i'm looking for opinions in what I can do to make an M10 quicker/peppier than stock using other BMW parts. What's the magic formula for a budget "hot rod" M10 build? Sourcing parts is not an issue for me, so shoot me your sugguestions.

I REALLY want to drive this thing by Spring!! Thanks for the insight.

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

1991 325iX 4dr/5spd I 2000 323i I 76 2002 - M20/G260 - in progress.

There are just too many opinions on the M10 vs M20 ... it really is relative to the person and there's lots of coverage on it already.  I hate time crunches though, the end result is usually leaves the builder dissapointed in some way.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A user friendly hotrod M10 prescription is:
38/38 downdraft weber
292 cam
9.5:1 pistons
header (Tii, IE, only02, stahl, etc) / exhaust

you can go up/down from there depending on your comfort level and budget (bigger cam, little more compression, sidedrafts, etc.)

That's exactly the kind of info i'm looking for. Top Notch reply as always. Thanks, Andrew!!

Would those mods get you around 150-160WHP?

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

Yes I have. Its about at the point where I just need to dive in. :\

The sound of the M20 coming out of an 02 would be so magical to me.

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

2 cylinders... I personally like 4 cylinders in these cars. Not a big fan of the 6's. But that's my opinion...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

In then end, I think it's a matter of character.  The M10 is NOT a bad motor, but it's ancient, and to get M20 power out of it

in a streetable fashion you'd end up putting a turbo onto it.  Changing its character again.

If you like the M20, do it.  It's not horrendously hard, and the M20 is trucklike in it's torque.  Durable, understressed,

and hardly heavier than the M10.  You can pay someone else to weld- if you fab them up, it's not a complicated job.

If you'd rather have the 2002 experience, do an M10.  But it may not be all that you want it to be.  Or it may be perfect.

I left an F engine in my Land Cruiser.  And rebuilt it.  Because I thought it would be nice NOT to have a Chevota.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

M20 hands down. Honestly if you want the power and something that runs like a modern car with efi, no turbos, no cammed out 4 bangers that need to scream at high rpm to make power, go M20

Im sure a good 95% of the people hate me on here for my build and my opinions on the matter of power, but its a good route. If you dont exactly want to put a six in, maybe look into an M42 swap, and turbo it for some extra power. Newer engine, modern-ish fuel injection, low boost but good power, cant see anything wrong in that.

Mounts were my biggest fear for the swap but with some help from the FAQ and my willingness to drop money on a welder and learn a new skill, im pretty much set to finish this thing nicely. I built mine for like $15 in scrap cutoffs from the steel shop (1/8th for the passenger side, and 1/4 for the drivers side. Keep in mind you will need to cut your tunnel if you do a Getrag 260 tranny, but you can save yourself a headache by using a e30 6 cyl 260 equipped driveshaft so thats one less headache.

Be prepared for the old guys to hate you though

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

hey!  i am an old guy!  but obviously not a purist....

m20 is a great engine in a 2002. bulletproof, good tq, good power, cheap to maintain, simple FI system, etc.

Yeah, old guys like to go fast too! There is a lot you can do to a NA M20 to make more power too...

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

I like the m10, but if you have the m20, then go for it. 

I think the 2002 is just perfect with a well built m10 with a mild turbo (7-12psi). Plenty of power, very simple to maintain and still plenty of room in the engine bay. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

7-12 PSI? PSH!! Not enough boost! Ya need one of these :P

2D4D68EE3D244D62BFAE2C4D62BF14.jpg

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2