• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock Or Period Correct

conkitchen

Esteemed board:

I have my 1969 1600 up for sale as some already know.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/classifieds/item/1708-1969-bmw-1600-2/

It’s a very cool; nearly all original configuration with the exception being the transmission. I had to replace the old one with a newer 4 speed and the d-shaft too. Everything else is standard as received equipment. 

Some “bolt-on” additions have been made taking this car away from stock in appearance. That however can easily be changed back to stock.

Should I leave this car as-is since it is neat to see an old school street rod or remove all that and put back the 4.5” rims/hub caps, bus steering wheel, and remove all the other bits?

Big question is taste, whether you like plain Jane or chic hip?

What would you do for reasons of greater appeal?

Have had a lot of local interest and now thinking of going national on eBay.

But what do I know

Just send the car to me. I'll provide an address.

I will then carefully assess the vehicle in conjunction with your queries, over a period of one year or more.

After I have completed my assessment you will then have the benefit of receiving my opinion and the option of having the vehicle returned to you, possibly with more patina.

;-)

GLWS!

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Just send the car to me. I'll provide an address.

I will then carefully assess the vehicle in conjunction with your queries, over a period of one year or more.

After I have completed my assessment you will then have the benefit of receiving my opinion and the option of having the vehicle returned to you, possibly with more patina.

;-)

GLWS!

Ray,

You're starting to sound more and more like Delia with post like that.

But what do I know

I remember putting the bus wheel and 13" wheels back on CJ's old Granada and surprisingly enjoyed driving it a lot more. I think stock look will always have more appeal but as long as all the parts come with the car, no biggie.

You might want to take Mr. Koke's up on his offer before he starts charging :huh:

Ray

73 Chamonix-S14 powered

Elefant Supply Apparel & more O=00=O

faq sig

To answer your original question (although I'd also be willing to do a long-term evaluation at my place--just ship to Ohio--I promise to keep it away from road salt)...

I would offer it up as is, and promimently feature in the writeup that all the visible changes you've made are easily reversible, and you will include all the original parts as part of the deal.  I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the replaced tranny and driveshaft.  Even in a concours the judges are gonna be looking for a clean tranny and driveshaft, not counting guibo holes!

I've always adhered to the rule that any alterations I make to my cars either don't show, are period correct items and/or can be easily reversed and taken back to stock with the original stuff.  Works for me...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As long as it looks correct I wouldnt worry. Wheels looks correct on the car, etc. I have people that think my car came with euroweaves because they fit so well, look right, and are patina'd like the rest of the car. Personally I like silver wheels though :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Which are there more of on the market stock or modified , I bet the are very few original 1600 for sale and would think someone shopping for a Early 1600 with money would want the stock car, there are lot,s of 2002 hot rods out there for sale for those that wan,t that type of car.

Harry 

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

Aren't those bumpers and turn signals original for the car? I don't know that much about US models but that one being such early car I would think there wasn't that many special US features.

Only things that bother me are the air filter and breather. They don't look like they belong there. Maybe the steering wheel would also look better in another car. But all in all it has really nice stock look and those things are such easy to change that it shouldn't be a problem for anyone. You could offer changing them before handing out the car if buyer wants so. 

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Id leave it as is. Theres nothing there that cant be reversed in a lazy hour. For instance I wouldnt be a big

Fan of the steering wheel but someone else could love it. If you have the origionals as well Just mentiion to the buyer that they can be swapped if required. Im my experience extra bits can really help a sale, makes folks think their getting a bargain.

great as write up for a very nice car.  i would not change a thing on the car.   if someone is seriously looking for an original 1600, they will see past the minimal mods that have been done.

for the ad though, i would add pictures of all the normal rust areas and the underside.  those are the pics everyone asks for on any 2002 for sale.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Your car is awesome !!!!

Trust your sense of style and taste..... Your are never going to please everyone.... if your car was bone stock someone would not like the steering wheel,tires etc.

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

My offer still stands, but may expire anytime!

:D

Well Ray,  perhaps if it does not leave my custody soon I'll bring it to Brisbane and you can trade me a six pack for it.

Thanks for all the other input too guys. This one is such a tingly feeling car when you see it in person. It just smells and feels right, viceral.

Funny thing I had it sold on Friday but the guy up in Petaluma flaked out. we shook hands and he went to go get more cash soon to never return. WTH Phil?

But what do I know

Well Ray,  perhaps if it does not leave my custody soon I'll bring it to Brisbane and you can trade me a six pack for it.

Thanks for all the other input too guys. This one is such a tingly feeling car when you see it in person. It just smells and feels right, viceral.

Funny thing I had it sold on Friday but the guy up in Petaluma flaked out. we shook hands and he went to go get more cash soon to never return. WTH Phil?

That's ridiculous.

That car is certainly worth more than a six pack. ;-)

And I wouldn't think twice about buying it sight unseen for your price, had I not a '68 in the garage.

Better luck next time!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.