• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under Gas Tank Insulation

schoir

What is the best replacement for the (rust-causing) foam rubber insulation that sits between the underside of the outer perimeter of the gas tank and the body?

I removed the old stuff years (decades?) ago after discovering that the OEM foam rubber absorbed and held water so much that it started to cause some rust.

I'd like to replace it with something that will not absorb water.

Regards, Maurice.

I had same situation with my 2002. Check my restoration link in my signature. Use the special high density foam rubber tape/seal designed to go under camper shell when mounted to a truck bed. Available from Truck/camper supply store, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

1975 Polaris 2002 (RAT 02E), 1962 mini Cooper S

1994 Land Cruiser - expedition vehicle, 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
2002 restoration blog - http://rato2e.blogspot.com/

I recall reading a comment here about the adhesive on the sealing strip you select.  If the adhesive is designed to be "permanent" then future removal of the tank may/will be difficult. 

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold

I used 3M strip caulk.  I think any closed cell foam will work though. Think of the stuff they seal pickup toppers to trucks with.  Strip caulk stays pliable so you can remove it. I bet it would hold pretty good though. Never had to remove it

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I used Dumb Dumb. Don't know what's its real name is but it's made by 3M and comes in ropey strips on wax paper. I think it's used around HVAC stuff. Autobody supply shops have it.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I used Dumb Dumb. Don't know what's its real name is but it's made by 3M and comes in ropey strips on wax paper.

Plumber's Tape is a low cost alternative.  similar in texture.  i've used it to seal the heater box to the body too.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa