• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Tires Should I Get

Palindrome

I'm picking up a set of 15x6 wheels and plan to run 195/50/15 tires.  (I've read in some places here that 195/55/15 is a good choice also, so feel free to opine.)

I'm running a 2130cc M10 build with dual Mikuni side drafts and a 292 cam with a 5-speed and 3.91 LSD.  As bizarre as it sounds, I do not know what shocks / springs I have, though the shocks are yellow and the car  seems to ride between 1/2" - 1" lower than stock 1974s I've seen (it may have just been lowered to the standard height for the pre-big-bumper cars).  19mm sway bars (painted gray though of unknown origin).

My 1974 2002 is a hobby car, a fair weather driver, that sees about 2,000 miles a year.  I do not track the car and do not foresee going that route (not even autox).  It's a hobby car that gets driven enthusiastically.  With this kind of use I'll be replacing the tires in about 8 years due to age rather than wear, and I'm looking for performance tires that will really increase cornering capability.  The 13' passenger tires on it now will squeal making a left turn into a grocery store parking lot at 20mph despite being only 4 years old and having plenty of tread.  I do not drive the car in the rain or on wet pavement.  I want grip.

Going to tirerack.com, I find the following tires once I've deselected the all-season, winter, and snow tires:

195/55/15

- BF Goodrich g-force sport COMP-2

- Dunlop Direzza DZ101

- Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500

- Yokohama S-Drive

- Dunlop Direzza ZII

- Toyo Proxes R1R

195/50/15 most of the above plus:

- Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A

- Toyo Proxes R888

Given that I can amortize the cost of the tires over 8 years I'm not considering price as part of this decision.  I'd appreciate any opinions from owners who have experience with the tires, especially if you have used more than one of them. 

Feel free to suggest other tires not listed here--I'm not committed to Tire Rack. 

Thanks.

I have the S drives in 195-50-15. I love them. Handling is great for enthusiastic driving. I'm on ST springs, bilstein hd's and have a 22mm front sway, and 19mm rear sway. The tires are more than adequate for what I do. No track or autoX.

Ryan

'75 Pastellblau "ol blue"

I have the RE11' s on my 15" wheels. 195/50 front and 205/50 rear.  I also ran RE11's on several other performance cars. I highly recommend them. Go with 195/50's

post-35273-0-68779700-1382020319_thumb.j

Edited by ryansti

70 BMW 1600 Malaga & Nevada

And a bunch of other old junk

I have the exact same question.... I'll need tires pretty soon.

I have BFG Sports 205/50/15s in back and 195/50/15s in front.  She rubs a little, but not bad with rolled fenders.  The rears are a REALLY tight fit on cut springs!!

post-42878-0-36718500-1382027098_thumb.j

Anyone have experience with the meaty, Falken Azensis RT-615K ??  It's only available in 205/50 for 15" wheels... :(

post-42878-0-58020700-1382027003_thumb.p

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I have the exact same question.... I'll need tires pretty soon.

I have BFG Sports 205/50/15s in back and 195/50/15s in front.  She rubs a little, but not bad with rolled fenders.  The rears are a REALLY tight fit on cut springs!!

attachicon.gif'71 B&W.jpg

Anyone have experience with the meaty, Falken Azensis RT-615K ??  It's only available in 205/50 for 15" wheels... :(

attachicon.gifAzenisRT615K-3QTR1.png

I've had Azenis RT615's, Dunlop Direzza's and RE11's. I preferred RE11's over the others.  They can be a little pricey but are worth it. They also run wide. 

70 BMW 1600 Malaga & Nevada

And a bunch of other old junk

FYI those yellow shocks you have are most likely Bilsteins.  If you can see a blue stripe on the rears, then they are.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite