Powder Coat Or Ceramic Coat?

coolwnc

I just had the stahl header ceramic coated silver and it looks great! I talked to my powder coat man and he does not want to do engine cover parts! Afraid the oil will leach out and bubble the powder coat product even after a cleaning. What to do? Ceramic coat the valve cover,intake,etc? Give me some direction!

What did you guys do?

Thanks!

I've seen both powdercoated valve covers, intake manifolds, timing covers, etc. and spray-bombed stuff (mine) hold up very well.  The secret is cleaning the parts and using gloves to handle the parts before they are coated.

Yes - ceramic coating exhaust headers, manifolds and downpipes is worth every penny.  I am still happy with my Jet Hot Sterling coating on my tii manifold and down pipe.

I have powder coated a couple of valve covers and intake manifolds. Cleaned with Marine Clean, baked them for awhile before I powdered them, then cleaned with Marine Clean again and always, as Jim says, used gloves to keep body oils off of the metal.

The baking before powdering was to leach out what oils I could.

They are still holding up ok

Forgot about my recent steering box rebuild.  

Bead blasted housing and cover followed by a wipe-down with Eastwood "Pre" surface cleaner. Eastwood Self etching primer (spray can) followed by their Aluma-blast spray paint.  Final thin topcoat of some generic Alloy wheel clear coat to keep the Aluma-blast from showing fingerprints and oil stains.  The end result is sort of semi-gloss without being too shiny.

I get regular exercise walking from my townhouse to my "spray booth area"  in the woods :) .

I get regular exercise walking from my townhouse to my "spray booth area" in the woods :) .

That is pretty crude don't you think? But then I guess not everyone can roll with the big boys. Cardboard box spray booth all the way with built in "overspray away technology". I even invested in a manually adjustable ripped cardboard spray shield. Fully customizable to any spraying task. Also acts as an oil pan for those nasty drips, and throw a few pencils under it and fold down the sides and you have a creeper. Also good for forts. Edited by gliding_serpent

That is pretty crude don't you think? But then I guess not everyone can roll with the big boys. Cardboard box spray booth all the way with built in "overspray away technology". I even invested in a manually adjustable ripped cardboard spray shield. Fully customizable to any spraying task. Also acts as an oil pan for those nasty drips, and throw a few pencils under it and fold down the sides and you have a creeper. Also good for forts.

It seems the wind is always blowing when I want to paint... No way in heck I'm going to get overspray on my vehicles or the neighbors' cars.

I have used many cardboard boxes as my "booths".

It seems the wind is always blowing when I want to paint... No way in heck I'm going to get overspray on my vehicles or the neighbors' cars.

I have used many cardboard boxes as my "booths".

Pro tip: point your johnson away from the wind to avoid overspray. Your neighbours will thank you.

The wind also effected my spraying, even with box tech. I cut back on chilli.