• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Powder Coat Or Ceramic Coat?

coolwnc

I just had the stahl header ceramic coated silver and it looks great! I talked to my powder coat man and he does not want to do engine cover parts! Afraid the oil will leach out and bubble the powder coat product even after a cleaning. What to do? Ceramic coat the valve cover,intake,etc? Give me some direction!

What did you guys do?

Thanks!

Clean them and paint them with aluminum paint or you could just clean them and leave them unpainted like the factory.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I've seen both powdercoated valve covers, intake manifolds, timing covers, etc. and spray-bombed stuff (mine) hold up very well.  The secret is cleaning the parts and using gloves to handle the parts before they are coated.

Yes - ceramic coating exhaust headers, manifolds and downpipes is worth every penny.  I am still happy with my Jet Hot Sterling coating on my tii manifold and down pipe.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Plastic Cote Dull Aluminum Laquer, some of the best paint Ive thrown in awhile, and I have tossed alot

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Hydro blast them, very high pressure water with glass beads the end result looks good and is very serviceable.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

I have powder coated a couple of valve covers and intake manifolds. Cleaned with Marine Clean, baked them for awhile before I powdered them, then cleaned with Marine Clean again and always, as Jim says, used gloves to keep body oils off of the metal.

The baking before powdering was to leach out what oils I could.

They are still holding up ok

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Forgot about my recent steering box rebuild.  

Bead blasted housing and cover followed by a wipe-down with Eastwood "Pre" surface cleaner. Eastwood Self etching primer (spray can) followed by their Aluma-blast spray paint.  Final thin topcoat of some generic Alloy wheel clear coat to keep the Aluma-blast from showing fingerprints and oil stains.  The end result is sort of semi-gloss without being too shiny.

I get regular exercise walking from my townhouse to my "spray booth area"  in the woods :) .

Jim Gerock

I get regular exercise walking from my townhouse to my "spray booth area" in the woods :) .

That is pretty crude don't you think? But then I guess not everyone can roll with the big boys. Cardboard box spray booth all the way with built in "overspray away technology". I even invested in a manually adjustable ripped cardboard spray shield. Fully customizable to any spraying task. Also acts as an oil pan for those nasty drips, and throw a few pencils under it and fold down the sides and you have a creeper. Also good for forts. Edited by gliding_serpent

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

That is pretty crude don't you think? But then I guess not everyone can roll with the big boys. Cardboard box spray booth all the way with built in "overspray away technology". I even invested in a manually adjustable ripped cardboard spray shield. Fully customizable to any spraying task. Also acts as an oil pan for those nasty drips, and throw a few pencils under it and fold down the sides and you have a creeper. Also good for forts.

It seems the wind is always blowing when I want to paint... No way in heck I'm going to get overspray on my vehicles or the neighbors' cars.

I have used many cardboard boxes as my "booths".

Jim Gerock

It seems the wind is always blowing when I want to paint... No way in heck I'm going to get overspray on my vehicles or the neighbors' cars.

I have used many cardboard boxes as my "booths".

Pro tip: point your johnson away from the wind to avoid overspray. Your neighbours will thank you.

The wind also effected my spraying, even with box tech. I cut back on chilli.

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)