• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration About To Commence. Need Opinions.

I am about to start restoring a 73 baikal 2002. Can't wait. However I am torn as to what to do with the engine possibilities. I drive about 10000 km a year and regular 2 times a week.

Should I restore 2l original

Or

Upgrade to 6cl BMW power unit

Or

Go nuts with a lazy v8 from another marque and battle the engineering issues ...

Please let me know your opinions .. Love this car but want it to be only car going forward so has to be reliable.

Thanks guys.

Restore to original. Maintain the value of your car.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Modest tweaking on an M10 (slightly hotter cam, like a 284, some higher compression pistons and a nice 2bbl Weber) will yield 115-120 DIN hp or so and will give you a nice boost in power over stock, without compromising either the car's originality or its balance. The latter is part of a 2002's charm.

If you're bound and determined to do an engine swap, an M42 or M44 would be a good choice for additional (but not excessive) hp without spoiling the car's balance...

cheers
mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks guys for the info.

Mike I am only using the car two days a week up to 10000km a year.. Drive to golf once a week and the odd road trip.

The rest of the car will be immaculate. The main concern is that it has to be reliable. Being in Australia AC is also a must ... So any extra power would be good.

Thanks guys for the info. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

Mike I am only using the car two days a week up to 10000km a year.. Drive to golf once a week and the odd road trip.

The rest of the car will be immaculate. The main concern is that it has to be reliable. Being in Australia AC is also a must ... So any extra power would be good.

Thanks guys for the info. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

I'd say M42/4 route would be probably the smoothest running and easy to do swap, but if you want a bit more power, and don't mind chasing around for parts and cutting into sacred sheet metal, go nuts with the m20b25 swap.

I'm going m20 route for the power and efi. My biggest reason was from day one I wanted more power. For me the m10 with a 32/36 weber, and exhaust just didn't seem to match what the chassis could do. For the price, the m20 swap makes more power for the price compared to any non turbo m10, let alone the added advantage of running regular fuel, efi, and well... It looks way more bad ass in the engine bay lol.

But I digress, if you plan on just tooling around on casual drives once in a blue moon you probably won't mind the M10. It's a solid little engine and usually is never too fussy. If you feel like it just doesn't quite give you the thrills on the straights as it does in the bends, give it 2 more cylinders and prepare to fabricate. Either way, build it for you and what you want. It is so annoying to see people too scared to get there hands dirty removing old oem stuff because they are worried about resale value, the cars will never be rolling across Barrett Jackson alongside half million dollar Superbirds or anything like that.

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

A lot of the appeal of vintage cars, like 2002s, is simplicity. I am NOT a purist, and I have nothing against fuel-injected engine upgrades that result in more power (and, likely, better gas mileage, and, certainly, lower emissions). But having just replaced that freaking plastic coolant pipe in an M42 engine in the 95 318ti I bought for my youngest son, and having to remove the squid to take the intake manifold off... the idea of installing this level of complexity in a nice simple 2002 for only the modest power gained, is a deal I would not make. The M20, at least, gets you more grunt, and is a simpler engine in terms of its intake, wiring, and plumbing.

Another thing about engine swaps is that you are the repository -- and the ONLY repository -- of all the swap knowledge, of all the compromises and adaptations you made. If you don't do all your own work, you need to find someone to understand, maintain, and repair it. My 3.0CSi has a 3.3 out of a 533i with an L-Jetronic injection system out of an E12 528i. I like it, but boy if something craps the bed in the middle of nowhere and I can't figure it out (which hasn't happened) and I have to get a flatbed to some shop, there's some 'splainin' to do.

All of this is why, after years of farting around with Webers and cams on 2002s, I went with an early '72tii, sorted out its fuel injection, will keep it largely stock, and will keep it forever.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)