• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I would think that most repairs involve replacing soldered connections, resistors and capacitors which are universal in nature.

• Like 2

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I think the reason for that button was so you could toggle between a tone setting suitable for spoken voice and a tone setting suitable for music. 

+1

I agree, Jimmy, which is why I suspect they are essentially bass (music) and treble (voice) enhancements.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 hours ago, Conserv said:

Un-clear.  Is it a treble or bass-enhancement button? I’ve seen both directions, but....I also thought these buttons were not reversible, as there was a “clip” cut-out on their bottom.

Here are three from eBay: an “up”, a “down”, and a “both”. I was thinking these were treble and bass enhancement buttons and not all models came with both....

Surely someone has a Blaupunkt Mannheim owner’s manual....

Regards,

Steve

3C92EBA2-0995-494B-A550-B29B8C13614C.png

A3883B72-B527-42FA-BEC3-F135A7E49556.png

BFBD136F-B22B-46D0-8769-CC4E7A727975.png

https://www.classentials.com/product/blaupunkt-mannheim-1971-vintage-original-classic-car-auto-radio-volkswagen-beetle-other-cars-1965-1974/

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/19100391-autoradio-blaupunkt-mannheim-1971

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Well, all I know is that my Blaupunkt Bavaria is wired to a dried up speaker in my center console that doesn’t sound like much of anything...

Enjoy the sound of Turbo exhaust so it’s all good! But on those long drives getting somewhere...

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

22 hours ago, Conserv said:

I haven’t really tracked the factory DIN plugs on Blaupunkts and Beckers to see precisely when they first appeared, and when they became ubiquitous. They may have appeared on higher-end models earlier — they were often used to connect separate long-wave (“L”) and short-wave (“K”) receivers to AM/FM (“M/U”) units — but they were probably installed across the board by the early 1970’s.

Last year I swapped an earlier phone/MP3 plug unit for a Bluetooth unit and couldn’t be happier. It was $60 or $80 on eBay. Now I can play “Radar Love” endlessly and wirelessly... ?

Regards,

Steve

I beleive the din plug on this was added more recently,

I also received this from the Place I bought it from:

Ernest yours is an ARI radio in other words it has the German Traffic Frequency Signal function that was  available the seventies and eighties - now obsolete. It’s a rare unit. When depressing the on off knob  a red light glows, the radio mutes and beeps - this is what happens now that the ARI signal is no longer available. The adjuster behind your on off is tone not balance. Balance on these is always 50:50 and it is functioning 100% as are the FM bands.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, GoGo Garnet said:

Here's one I bought recently that will fit behind my Frigidking AC.

Thanks for all your work, Steve.

Bavaria 1.JPG

Bavaria 2.JPG

You’re welcome!

Wait: it’s a Bavaria model made in France. Sacra bleu!

I’m going to guess that radios made outside Germany had different date coding from the German-made units. Hence, the “U” prefix sognifies some date that makes sense with the model year, probably 1972 (“763...2...”). Or could it possibly be 1982?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

Wait: it’s a Bavaria model made in France. Sacra bleu!

?

Good eyes ?, That totally went by me. I have no idea what it came out of, I really needed the size more than the correctness.

1976 02 in Granatrot Met. m42, 5sp. - Greta

After all those photos I realized my car as the 'European' model radio with L,M, K and U bands. The original owner purchased and drove it in Germany, then shipped it over from Dunkirk to Canada in late '73.

Ashtray 01.jpg

• Like 1

After all those photos I realized my car as the 'European' model radio with L,M, K and U bands. The original owner purchased and drove it in Germany, then shipped it over from Dunkirk to Canada in late '73.
1750207404_Ashtray01.thumb.jpg.a99f589714e76221fc95b4aeef29b46a.jpg

Looks like you have a working green fog light button, too. Mine is a dummy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 12:01 PM, Lengrep said:

Looks like you have a working green fog light button, too. Mine is a dummy.

Taking a break from Blaupunkt radios, I distinguish ‘02 fog light buttons from fog light buttons for e12, e21, and possibly other models by the presence (‘02) or absence (e12, e21, etc.) of a (painted?) silver trim ring surrounding the pushbutton. The ‘02 fog light button was designed to match the emergency flasher button, which had the same silver trim.

Below, my ‘76.

Regards,

Steve

E0D2677B-0ADD-42A3-B3D3-E24C784ED7F4.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

Well, I believe it's a dummy; at least it doesn't pop out or react in any way when pressed. I haven't looked inside the console to see if there's an actual switch there. If so I assume the wiring for fog lights would have been installed when the car was built, but I see no evidence that that's the case. 

Were fog lights an option in '73? 

Well, I believe it's a dummy; at least it doesn't pop out or react in any way when pressed. I haven't looked inside the console to see if there's an actual switch there. If so I assume the wiring for fog lights would have been installed when the car was built, but I see no evidence that that's the case. 
Were fog lights an option in '73? 

Dealer option.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 12:45 PM, Lengrep said:

Dealer option.

And the only wiring done by the factory was, on round taillights, an auxiliary light power feed (trigger) that activated with the low beams headlights, and on square taillights, a pair of auxiliary light power feeds, one activated with the low beams and one activated with the high beams. Switches, relays, and the wiring among these and the lights themselves were left to the dealer, owner, or whoever.

And that is why every ‘02 seems to have different wiring for the auxiliary lights! ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

My 73 has 4 speakers.  The radio I have now is the early '80s Japanese Frankfurt which is set up for 4 speakers and has a fader.  Unfortunately, I recently learned that the DIN plug is an auxiliary OUT for an amp and not an IN plug suitable for a Bluetooth. 

As my build is very orthodox, with the Recaros set to be upholstered as a nod to the stock seats, I am thinking of looking around for a vintage Frankfurt or Bavaria stereo with the aux in DIN.  These Frankfurts only had 2 speaker connections, so would it be possible to tie left front and rear together and the same with the right?  The one minor drawback is no fader control.

Thoughts?

I looked at the old-look new radios and they just don't look right IMHO.