• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential First Time Buyer - Looking For Opinions

emg2919

The main plus is that it's a numbers matching tii in a rare color (I've only seen one other Nevada tii), and that it was the 95th US spec tii built (2760096)--a very early number.  But you had better either have a large bank account or be a good welder to fix those floors.  Those are about as bad floors as I've ever seen on an intact 2002.   Rear shock towers look a bit suspicious too; they've been messed with and there's no telling what lurks under that paint and bondo.  The car should be saved, but it's a project for someone who really knows 2002s and has the skills (or $$$) to fix the body correctly.  $4500 is way too much for the work involved on that car, both body and mechanical. 

You really need one in better shape body-wise (things mechanical are easier and cheaper to fix than rust) with a carburetor.  Learn on that car, then buy a desireable but rusty one to save after you've learned 2002s.   

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I get that you would rather find a roundie, but have you thought about a nice '76 from CA? They go cheap because no one wants to deal with them still having to pass the CA emissions test. Square light cars look awesome with chrome bumper conversions....

That and sometimes I get a little tired of tuning customers '76s to pass smog! So any help in getting a few outta' here is most welcome. ;)

Edited by tjones02

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I would suggest doing what I did: Decide on exactly what car you want...for me it was a 73 Tii...and then set a budget, search for one, and wait for the best one you can find to come along. You will then know that you got the right car. Took me a year., but I was looking for something specific.

Be patient...a month or three will save you a lot of headaches later...and you will have the car you want.

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

I don't have any advice from the perspective of someone who already owns an 02 but I am also on the hunt.  I am currently on the hunt as well (don't worry we aren't competing) and have found it to be disheartening at best.

Is it just me who feels that the longer I wait the more the prices go up and the more prices go up the more my budget is unrealistic?  While I have been eyeing 2002's for years I was never in a position to even consider purchasing one until the last 6 months or so.  It seems like anything else; the market is starting to increase in price and those of us who aren't made of money are having to settle for junk or just not own a 2002 at all.......

Its a bummer.

Good luck on your hunt!

Constantly on the look out for a "roundie" project.  I don't need Engine/Transmission but would prefer everything else!!

Bimmer02.com shows CL postings from most major cities in the country. Also some helpfull tech info.

And I agree with you, MillerMav, I think typical prices went up, on average of 2-3K from May to August when I purched my 72' 2002. Also 2002 AD has pics of current cars for sale as well as ones that have sold over the past few years. Good for reference.

Walt