• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuses And Intermittent Electrical Connections

OriginalOwner

Last week I again experienced intermittent operation of the turn signals, it has happened many times over the past many years.  One day they work, the next they don't, the day after they work just fine.

I finally figured out the root cause:  the metal at the end of the fuse is worn away causing an intermittent connection.  And you cannot see the problem unless you actually remove the fuse.  All these years I've just wiggled it to supposedly "solve" the problem, without actually removing the fuse.

Here's the trouble-causing fuse end:  there is not supposed to be a hole there, a new fuse has a solid metal cap.  Over the years, that metal was worn away, for all I know it is probably the original fuse.

fuse_wornawayend.jpg

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

not so much new to the board, just too-selective in my reading and responding.

this particular fuse:  the worn-away end is the one pointing "downward and away" from the eyeball, in the stiff holder .... not the "upward" springy-end holder.  Thus when only rotating it, like I've done all these years, one doesn't see that end of the fuse.

and I've always assumed that corrosion was the problem:  a couple of wiggles and no more problem.  I hadn't a clue the metal itself was wearing away.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

Coupla fuse thoughts:

Don't know if they still do, but Buss (US fuse maker) used to make glass fuses with bullet-shaped metal ends for old VW Beetles to be used instead of the ceramic fuses both Beetles and 2002s use.  They're nickel plated and much sturdier than the German ceramic fuses; they just don't look stock.  If they're still available, they're a long-term solution to the worn fuse problem.

Also--when you clean the fuses, be sure and clean the spring brass fuse holders.  I used to use an old-fashioned typewriter eraser--the kind that looked like a wood pencil but with an abrasive rubber center instead of lead.  Twirl it in the hole at the end of the fuse holder and it'll shine up that brass contact point just like new.  Can you still get those erasers now that typewriters are passe?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I used to use an old-fashioned typewriter eraser--the kind that looked like a wood pencil but with an abrasive rubber center instead of lead.

Still available! Faber Castell Perfection Eraser Pencil Art

A12E_1_20130213116859388.jpg

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif