• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Brake Pin Replacement

I know a prior FAQ member used to sell kits to replace the door brake pins. I noticed a few weeks ago that McMaster-Carr is now stocking the perfect 5mm stainless shoulder screw for this purpose. I ordered a couple and installed one with a new door brake using a Nylok nut and washers from the local hardware store.   Fits like a glove…

The McMaster P/N is 90278A375 ($4.27 each +washers and nuts from Ace for another ~50 cents)

link: http://www.mcmaster.com/#cadinlnord/90278a375/=n3sxrf

post-36226-0-13433100-1370717397_thumb.j

post-36226-0-63138800-1370717418_thumb.j

Edited by Rob S
  • Thanks 1

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

Does that fix take up some of the slop in the bracket holes? I have factory pins in mine but they pop loudly when I open door due to the slop. I'm sure the real fix is to get new brackets welded in but if this works......

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

landon,

I have that problem on my passenger door.  My quick "fix" was to put a piece of thick rubber between pin and pillar, this takes out the "pop."  One of these days I'm just gonna weld the bracket to the pillar .... haven't done it yet because I don't want to mess up the paint.

Cheers,

Carl

Does that fix take up some of the slop in the bracket holes? I have factory pins in mine but they pop loudly when I open door due to the slop. I'm sure the real fix is to get new brackets welded in but if this works......

actually, i believe the slop is the result of a missing plastic sleeve in the door brake arm.  if it's missing the door brake will tend to slam against the pin as the spring mechanism is engaged/disengaged.  if your door brake arm still has the plastic sleeve then disregard what i said and you may have ovalized bracket holes as mentioned.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I may try your "quick" fix Carl. The brake is fairly new but I should look for that plastic sleeve too. i am also waiting for other body work before I replace the bracket.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Some of the "upgraded" door brakes I have seen have pins that are smaller in diameter than the 5mm that is the correct size for the brackets. The pins then just bank around in the fole. You can certainly also get slop at the bracket from holes that have worn and are "ovalized" or slop at the door brake from a missing or worn sleeve in the brake. Careful inspection of the bracket/brake movement while opening and closing should show you where the problem lies. There is enough length in the 25mm shoulder pin I referenced in the first post to put nylon washers against the bracket. Tightening up the nut can remove a lot of the slop in the bracket holes.  

Before welding in new brackets, you might consider a 6 mm reamer/drill and opening up the hole in the bracket and door brake (carefully). Mcmaster also has a 6mm shoulder screw that could then sub in... That would work, but may be a bit too McGuyver'ish...

Edited by Rob S

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

v. Tightening up the nut can remove a lot of the slop in the bracket holes.  

Before welding in new brackets, you might consider a 6 mm reamer/drill and opening up the hole in the bracket and door brake (carefully). Mcmaster also has a 6mm shoulder screw that could then sub in... That would work, but may be a bit too McGuyver'ish...

That;s was I hoping to hear Rob S. My bracket is definitely ovaled so I am going to try the 6 mm screw. 

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Door Brakes my favoriate :) I have solved these problems with my upgraded door brake sets, no clicks, pops or cracks . I have not been posting in the for sale forum , new format is not friendly for this :) I do have them in stock and listed on Ebay or you can contact me at creativesales.comments@gmail.com.post-37485-0-80369400-1371008808.jpg

1975 BMW 2002 Taiga

2000 BMW M Roadster evergreen

• 7 years later...
5 hours ago, RMBaiada said:

I found that the following 5 mm x 30 mm, stainless steel clevis pin from Amazon is a perfect fit for the door brake pin, with room for a washer (maybe 2). And at $6.67 for a package of 4 shipped right to my door, it is a great deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0816MVQQ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Michael

Do you use a little cotter pin for hole in the clevis's bottom end?