• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everything On A Tii Is Harder

Beck180

Not much substance here, just need to vent a bit.

Everything on a Tii seems to be harder since everything job has something series of parts or linkages in the way.

Want to swap the starter motor? Instead of just 4 bolts and a few electrical leads, you're looking at a couple hours of hand contotionism and over a dozen impossible bolts to remove.

Want to replace the timing chain? Guess what, you're looking at possibly pulling the K-pump too!

Want to replace the alternator? Gotta pull the sway bar. That makes sense, right?

What else is frustratingly harder on a Tii than a regular 2002?

I'd rather work on a Porsche than on a Ferrari.

Air conditioning? mechanical injection? These things are all wrong and don't belong on cars ;) . Clearly the only thing to do is sell the tii, buy a stock 02 and go to efi ;)

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Pretty much the only thing keeping me from selling it and getting a regular 2002 is that fact that I have done so much work to it (plus some great work done by Sean Casey and Tom Jones). Everything in the drivetrain, suspension and electrical has been replaced or rebuilt except for the head, block and wiring harness.

I like to think I could enjoy the car for a few more years and let it gain some value to try to cover the cost of some many repairs and parts.

I don't think I had to remove the sway bar to take out the alternator on my tii. I just took off the air filter and pulled it straight up. As for the starter, I can definitely relate to the extra time, but it wasn't too much of a hassle. I ended up taking off all the intake runners while I was in there and cleaning those off really well. Reinstallation was much quicker. Just take it slow and take breaks to cool off from the frustration. That's what I have to do or I break stuff.

I've done this rant in my head a few times lately.  I cannot IMAGINE adding A/C into that mess.

Can I add one more thing?  "That's a tii specific part - you can't get it anymore."

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Some folks would complain if you hung them with a brand new rope.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged